• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
That's what we like to hear: cockiness from the Knox camp.
The same sort of predictions were made in 2014 as well.

Sideline take a breather, everyone has their right to there opinion - even yourself when you private message me. If people want to predict the upcoming season leave them be. It's like your trying to deny that Knox will be a tough team this year, which we all know they will be - even myself as a die hard Wave... Come to think of it, you seem to do no different when you talk about Tyzac Jordan and half of the Waverley team in contention for 1st CAS before the season has started. No harsh feelings.

S

sidelineview

Sideline take a breather, everyone has their right to there opinion - even yourself when you private message me. If people want to predict the upcoming season leave them be. It's like your trying to deny that Knox will be a tough team this year, which we all know they will be - even myself as a die hard Wave. Come to think of it, you seem to do no different when you talk about Tyzac Jordan and half of the Waverley team in contention for 1st CAS before the season has started. No harsh feelings.

Gee ... they came of the woodwork for this one.
"Knox should win everything by a lot this year" seems a bit premature and cocky to me. I think it was worth a reply but sorry I upset you; I didn't think you'd have a sook about it. He was entitled to his opinion in a democratic country, you're right.

I don't think I denied that Knox will be strong this year, they obviously will be, but we have heard it all before. They got it right last year and wrong the year before and were just as cocky about the juggernaut each year. That's my opinion.

I replied to a question from SonnyDill in regards to Jordan and stated the facts about him as a player. I didn't initiate the discussion about him. The fact is he's got a good track record as other players from other schools in the CAS Comp have, particularly the players who were in the winning CAS U16s team from a couple of years ago. It was a very good team with some outstanding individual talent. You can look it all up yourself.

I also pointed out that Waverley players had good representation across the 2 CAS teams last year, even though only one was selected in the 1sts. I also added that 3 of those players will be playing again this year, as well as quite a few CAS U16s players from last year. Again, facts. Other schools can boast the same and you can make of it what you will.

I didn't choose a CAS team, and i wasn't the only one discussing Waverley players regarding the CAS teams this year. Waverley have a lot of good players this year, that's a fact, and quite a few are in Year 12 which always helps. But whether they're better than the other players in the Comp to make the Rep teams remains to be seen. I did state that it would be tough to make CAS 1sts, as it always is.

And in regards to giving the players a rap from the CAS U16s winning team from a couple of years ago, that was not pro-Waverley; it was pro-CAS. It will be interesting to see how the CAS teams go this year; it does look encouraging.

Anyway, thanks for replying and taking me out of context.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone from Waverley got any off season gossip? Heard they have got a couple of new kids not sure how they go.

S

sidelineview

Anyone from Waverley got any off season gossip? Heard they have got a couple of new kids not sure how they go.

A new kid: Eden Rogers-Smith. He's a forward; has played a lot of rugby and is currently playing SG Ball for the Roosters.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Keh? You might want to take a look at Knox HSC results for past few years. If they are producing landscapers and brickies, it's probably due to the $ to be earned plying these trades on the north shore, not academic performance.

Mick Garrick

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone know about what the draw will be? Apparently the Knox vs Barker games will not be played in the first and last rounds as it has been in previous years due to the students having fights and etc., which is a massive shame.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
The draw has changed, not sure where you access it, it is in the school diary probably if your a parent. I know Waverley plays Aloys in round 1 as oppose to Trinity first round at Death Valley for as long as I can remember.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I was out at Queen's Park this morning for cricket and couldn't help but notice what appeared to be the Waverley open rugby squad engaged in a 2 hour session - at least some of which was full contact.

Do they not have to play a summer sport there?

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
I was out at Queen's Park this morning for cricket and couldn't help but notice what appeared to be the Waverley open rugby squad engaged in a 2 hour session - at least some of which was full contact.

Do they not have to play a summer sport there?

Probably the Weights and Fitness (which is a summer sport), which is split into soccer and rugby to do specific routines. Your probably expected to be apart of that summer squad if your not at a high level standard of another summer sport, e.g cricket, basketball.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Barker 1sts and 2nds playing Radford College (Canberra) tomorrow (12th) at Barker 2.15pm according to Barker website. Trinity playing sevens at Rat Park.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker v Radford Trial Match
I zipped up to Hornsby to watch the Reds in their first trial match against Radford form Canberra.
The temp peaked at 33 deg so the 4 quarter game was going to be testing.
Radford were at a distinct disadvantage with around 20 players in their squad while Barkers coach Dean Hargraves had a big squad of at least 26, 1st and 2nd XV candidates to rotate through.
The game was played in typical trial format with penalty shots at goal ignored in favour of more set piece and ball in hand style.
The initial match ups gave the size advantage to the visitors with no2 Jasper Mazurkiewicz a stand out. Once the game was under way though, the 3 months of preseason fitness the Barker lads have been through started to show.
Barker should be competitive at scrum time this year, with their front row of Buffa, Coghill and Blakemore making life tough for the visitors. With last year’s starting hooker Tian Stals to return and some beefy second rowers to add some grunt, the scrum should not be a weakness, certainly in the CAS rounds. A standout for Barker was Timothy Woodgate. A 3rd XV player last year. He has filled out and weighs in at 110kg. Mobile enough he made his presence felt with some good tackles and mighty work at scrum time. Lifting him maybe an issue though.
Barker’s other standouts in the pack was Tim Anstey at No8. (yes last year’s CAS 1st XV Prop is at 8) Tim was all over the park and was fabulous with ball in hand. Although not in the style of a traditional no 8, he gives the Barker pack some real starch.
My player of the day was a new lad to Barker this year No 6 Luke Reimer. He is strong and mobile scoring the first try and possibly another. His Maori side step is a classic and his front on tackling was very sound.
With a dominant forward platform the Barker backs had plenty of ball to show their skills. This proved a little problematic with the backline combination changing every quarter it was hard for the either side to get a real advantage. Falito Van Woerkom, now in year 11 showed lots of speed and finesse when playing the final qtr at 5/8th and Oli Grundy was never afraid to take on the advantage line in the centres.
With little or no kicking from either side the full backs on both sides had to inject themselves into the game or risk their jersey be handed back fresh to the laundry lady.
Despite a penalty count of 30 to 1 against them, Barker ran out easy winners 47-5 with Radford scoring on the death.

Barkers 1st XV will certainly be more competitive this year than last. There is no Tyson Davis or Harry Jones in the squad but the ticka and commitment is there.

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
Waves had an internal hit out today, was to determine who would play in the 1sts and 2nds internal trial next week. Some pretty solid performances, some observations: Dominic Cartmer in the centres was dominant, Paea wasn't involved enough, but was hugely dominant when he was, Clifton and Drew-Morris both strong running, aswell was Morton - another second rower pushing for the 1sts, Mood and Yoanidis both good running games through the middle. I did notice a number of good players not participating, O'sullivan, Smith and didn't see Fuller at all? Was anyone else there?

Any younger boys participating? Probably resting the names you listed above

BottleBrush

Frank Row (1)
Few Waverley stand outs from first run out for the year , but relative level of opposition is questionable. Hate to be the one to reduce this to Sesame St, but the word on the street is a few possible new names at no.10 this year. Hopefully the strong competition helps the teams and individuals

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, do you know if David Tejeck (Half) played ? Another very talented yr 10 boy

Yes he did play. The backs lacked a bit of continuity. A bit to much, stop catch pass about them. It is expected at this time of the year. That said the half backs for both teams did nothing wrong. The poor old Radford half did not get much protection from his forwards. David played ok though.

Status
Not open for further replies.