• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOracle83

Stan Wickham (3)
NOregrets you got it ..another 1 post wonder

. another Waverley knucklehead . a small minority, reflecting badly on the masses

.. the IT dept at Waverley will be interested to get the GAGR report

Any injury update on Waverley? Hopefully no season enders

Surely they won't play Finn Wright (a natural book-end) in the second row again . I know you try and get your best players on the paddock . but I for one was surprised when I saw that

If Waverley is to be without a few of their big guns, Cranbrook's hopes are going to lift
Finn Wright got a late call up to replace Drew-Morris & played with great courage. Scored a brilliant try backing up Tyzac on the quick tap & ran through Bosch & evaded 2 others!

Show and go22

Bob McCowan (2)
Comment thoughts
1sts
1. Grindal (K)
2. Upton (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
5. Frost (K)
6. Margin (K)
7. Kemmeny (C)
8. Basson (K)
9. Jordan (W)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Mohi (W)
12. Morris (T)
13. Armstrong (K)
14. Slaven (A)
15. Longville (T)

2nds

1. Rahme (A)
2. Coghill (B)/ Gillman (A)
3. McCormick (W)
4. Clifton (W)
5. Ireland (K)
6. Moretti (W)/ N Hrdina (A)
7. Stead (T)
8. Tuitavake (T)
9. Bosch (K)
10. Woodcock (k)/ Searl (C)
11. Van Woerkom (B)
12. Fuller (W)
13. Yoanniddis (W)
14. Mazaraki (A)
15. Stenmark (C)/ Will Lloyd (B)

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
The front row positions will be interesting come selection time. In watching the rep games last year CAS were certainly out muscled in this area and at one stage replaced the entire front row against GPS to try and get some stability at scrum time.
Both Wayland (T) and Anstey (B) were missing last year through injury and hoping they will be fit and ready come game time.They have proven their worth in previous representative fixtures and feel they would be the front runners for the 1 & 3 roles. Grindall (K) would probably the next in line though watching the Joeys video posted on this site there are some real concerns at scrum time which can be worked on.
Which leaves the role of hooker - From discussions above it appears there is no clear front runner and have options across most teams. CAS need a good scrummager, accurate thrower and mobile (much like Horton from GPS last year).
In games I have seen to date my front runners would be from Cranbrook? and Rahme (A), however there will certainly be more putting their hand up. I wasn't overly impressed with the Knox or Waves hookers on the weekend, it was a tough game however there were a lot of errors from both sides at lineout and scrum time, they were not particularly mobile.
I did notice the knox hooker in 2nds and asking around he was touted for firsts at the start of last year however missed the season through injury. He certainly fitted the bill of what i described above ( a couple of tight heads and very good lineout accuracy) and may be a bolter for one of the rep sides. (It has happened before in another side)
Maybe there are other boys out there playing out of position at the moment who could fill this vital role.

Agree with your post , without a good engine room who are competitive in scrummaging and make an impact at the breakdown (not seagulling) it doesnt matter what flashy backs are available.
The tight five should be picked with this in mind and am sure many young lads will be putting their hands up in weeks to come.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Comment thoughts
1sts
1. Grindal (K)
2. Upton (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
5. Frost (K)
6. Margin (K)
7. Kemmeny (C)
8. Basson (K)
9. Jordan (W)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Mohi (W)
12. Morris (T)
13. Armstrong (K)
14. Slaven (A)
15. Longville (T)

2nds

1. Rahme (A)
3. McCormick (W)
4. Clifton (W)
5. Ireland (K)
7. Stead (T)
8. Tuitavake (T)
9. Bosch (K)
11. Van Woerkom (B)
12. Fuller (W)
13. Yoanniddis (W)
14. Mazaraki (A)

The reason I wouldn't pick Woodcock is that he has made some poor decisions. The first time knox had the ball inside the Waverley 22 on Saturday he chip kicked the ball a cross field. His coaches and players were so angry about his decision.

He also missed two tackles that lead to tries.

He has been great against poor opposition but against GPS he will struggle.
If a player like Donaldson or Searle had the forward pack that Woodcock has, they would offer so much more in attack and defense.

Wayne McLean

Peter Burge (5)
Agree with your post , without a good engine room who are competitive in scrummaging and make an impact at the breakdown (not seagulling) it doesnt matter what flashy backs are available.
The tight five should be picked with this in mind and am sure many young lads will be putting their hands up in weeks to come.
Purcell captain of Cricket and the Rugby captain of this team in 14-16s but shoulder recon in 2015 and cricket kept him out of reckoning. But damn good observation. Most likely the best 2 in CAS!

Up the Bunnies

Frank Row (1)
Comment thoughts
1sts
1. Grindal (K)
2. Upton (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
5. Frost (K)
6. Margin (K)
7. Kemmeny (C)
8. Basson (K)
9. Jordan (W)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Mohi (W)
12. Morris (T)
13. Armstrong (K)
14. Slaven (A)
15. Longville (T)

2nds

1. Rahme (A)
3. McCormick (W)
4. Clifton (W)
5. Ireland (K)
7. Stead (T)
8. Tuitavake (T)
9. Bosch (K)
11. Van Woerkom (B)
12. Fuller (W)
13. Yoanniddis (W)
14. Mazaraki (A)

Lachlan Ireland for 1's ??? Instead of Rasch? keep that Knox 2nd row together i think.

updasharkies

Frank Row (1)
Comment thoughts
1sts
1. Grindal (K)
2. Upton (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
5. Frost (K)
6. Margin (K)
7. Kemmeny (C)
8. Basson (K)
9. Jordan (W)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Mohi (W)
12. Morris (T)
13. Armstrong (K)
14. Slaven (A)
15. Longville (T)

2nds

1. Rahme (A)
3. McCormick (W)
4. Clifton (W)
5. Ireland (K)
7. Stead (T)
8. Tuitavake (T)
9. Bosch (K)
11. Van Woerkom (B)
12. Fuller (W)
13. Yoanniddis (W)
14. Mazaraki (A)

leaving H.Stocks (K) out of both 1st and 2nds (wing/fullback) is ludicrous, he has been one of the strongest fullbacks in the CAS this season. If it was up to me would definitely be a red hot shot for 1st replacing longville (T) or slaven (A) if not 100% will be in the seconds.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)

. another Waverley knucklehead . a small minority, reflecting badly on the masses

Surely they won't play Finn Wright (a natural book-end) in the second row again . I know you try and get your best players on the paddock . but I for one was surprised when I saw that

If Waverley is to be without a few of their big guns, Cranbrook's hopes are going to lift
Huh?

Agree with Wright in the engine room. Has to be playing bookend.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)

I believe Cranbrook are more than capable of beating Waverley regardless of the line up. They are on the way up and if not this year they are a real watch for next year.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
This year's competition is still wide open I think. Though the fact that the only unbeaten CAS side was easily accounted for by Joeys the week before the start is a concern. Especially as Joeys has had a couple of losses over in GPS land.

The CAS side will want to have a good scrum and size. They will also want mobility. I think the forwards could be the issue for CAS. Especially with some of the injuries to some front rowers.

The backs are less of a concern, as there is some quality there. That said the GPS backs will be very potent.

I am not sure whether the selectors will go for combinations, best players in position or just best players in the side. I am not a fan of picking players out of position unless they are immensely superior to the correct positional player they would be displacing.

I get the idea that the chosen CAS side will be quite a bit stronger than any of the separate sides. Any school getting more than five players in will consider themselves quite lucky. (I will probably be proven seriously wrong there...)

As for this weekend, when it would appear that finally the winter sports will be played in something approaching winter weather. And for those into patterns and so on an interesting round. One plays two, three plays four and five plays six. If Cranbrook was playing at home all the sides ranked with an odd number would be playing away.

Barker versus Aloys. Both sides are struggling, but this should be a competitive, entertaining and open game. I would lean towards Barker at home, but if Aloys are at full strength, the quality of some of their backs should be influential.

Waverley vs Cranbrook. Injuries could determine this match. Cranbrook look to be on a roll and they appear to be a well balanced side. If they can nullify the attacking prowess of Waverley a definite chance. But Waverley is always hard at home. No idea.

Trinity vs Knox. Knox have struggled at Summer Hill and with potentially 4 CAS 1XV players in the Trinity side Knox will have a struggle on their hands. Especially if Knox are mentally off their game after last week. However, Knox has some class in this side, are fit well balanced in attack and defence. They definitely have greater depth. I think Knox should win this, but will underestimate Trinity at their peril.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
it is going to be interesting at Death Valley on Saturday

weather could play a factor ... meant to be cold windy and possibly rainy

personally I think Cranbrook should be hoping for rain ... and a mud bath

however I don't think they will get their wishes

how they match up?

both sides have some excellent backs ... with Waverley having Tyzac Jordan, Fuller and Mohi, as best known ... while Cranbrook in my view has the best CAS 10 in Darcy Searl ... plus Stenmark and Stewart are both solid

I think both forward packs are pretty evenly matched .... however I think Brook are significantly better at the set piece ... particularly line-outs

in recent years Cranbrook have outplayed Waverley in the forwards, and Waverley faces the same potential undoing

if Waverley flashy backs are on the backfoot, it could easily go Cranbrook's way

however barring a mud-bath I think Waverley's backs should prove the difference ... outside Cranbrook's inside backs, they are pretty vunerable on the edges ... which is exactly where Waverley are strong

so assuming Jackson Mohi is fit ... I am tipping Waverley ... but as I say it could be very interesting, and it will be a critical match in terms of how Waverley's season plays out ... ie can they bounce back from the Knox disappointment, and still remain a title chance

the key for Waverley is to shut-down Searle ... as he is the X factor

toomanytries

Frank Row (1)
leaving H.Stocks (K) out of both 1st and 2nds (wing/fullback) is ludicrous, he has been one of the strongest fullbacks in the CAS this season. If it was up to me would definitely be a red hot shot for 1st replacing longville (T) or slaven (A) if not 100% will be in the seconds.

Good player although Longville has been the best fullback in the competition so far and has rep experience under his belt. Good contest between the two this week

updasharkies

Frank Row (1)
Good player although Longville has been the best fullback in the competition so far and has rep experience under his belt. Good contest between the two this week

Yes i agree "toomanytries" this weekend will be able to show who will fit the position of starting fullback for the CAS. I will be watching the game...

Up and under

Stan Wickham (3)
The reason I wouldn't pick Woodcock is that he has made some poor decisions. The first time knox had the ball inside the Waverley 22 on Saturday he chip kicked the ball a cross field. His coaches and players were so angry about his decision.

He also missed two tackles that lead to tries.

He has been great against poor opposition but against GPS he will struggle.
If a player like Donaldson or Searle had the forward pack that Woodcock has, they would offer so much more in attack and defense.

Who the selectors pick at 5/8 will depend on what sort of game plan they wish to play.

Woodcock,Stenmark and Searle are very strong kickers of the ball more suited to a conservative kicking/field position game plan.Defensively they all have weaknesses.

Dainton and Donaldson offer more in attack,with great hands and support play.Defensively more solid than the others.

S

sidelineview

Injuries will start to come into play now.

I'll tip Aloys against Barker if they are near full strength.

Can't tip against Knox but it will be a test for them after last week's tough game against Waverley. It may have been a bit of a reality check for them. Trinity should match them in the forwards and it wouldn't surprise to see Trinity test them if they can maintain enough possession and follow a smart game plan.

Waverley vs Cranbrook. This one will be a big test for Waverley to see how they can back up after last week's tough encounter against Knox. They were in the hunt for most of the game but will need to recover mentally and regain confidence. It sounds like Cranbrook have put in some solid performances so far and are on the improve. Should be a good contest.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Injuries will start to come into play now.

I'll tip Aloys against Barker if they are near full strength.

Can't tip against Knox but it will be a test for them after last week's tough game against Waverley. It may have been a bit of a reality check for them. Trinity should match them in the forwards and it wouldn't surprise to see Trinity test them if they can maintain enough possession and follow a smart game
I won't tip against Knox either - there was a statement before last week's game that Waverley would have the mental edge . Knox began badly and Waverley controlled the game. Knox was rattled but was able to turn it around after halftime. I think this experience should encourage the Knox team and was a test of mental toughness that they passed on this occasion - success is a combination of skill and luck and they showed a lot of skill last week but also had their fair share of the latter which is always welcome. The near miss will also be encouraging to the other teams and shows no one is unbeatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PickandDrive420

Frank Row (1)
Comment thoughts
1sts
1. Grindal (K)
2. Upton (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
5. Frost (K)
6. Margin (K)
7. Kemmeny (C)
8. Basson (K)
9. Jordan (W)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Mohi (W)
12. Morris (T)
13. Armstrong (K)
14. Slaven (A)
15. Longville (T)

2nds

1. Rahme (A)
3. McCormick (W)
4. Clifton (W)
5. Ireland (K)
7. Stead (T)
8. Tuitavake (T)
9. Bosch (K)
11. Van Woerkom (B)
12. Fuller (W)
13. Yoanniddis (W)
14. Mazaraki (A)

I agree with both those squads but I feel Flaherty (A) should be wearing the 12 jersey over fuller (W) in the 2nds squad he has been more consistent in defense and dangerous in attack, also stenmark (C) should wear the 15 over Lloyd (B) as he has a greater defensive game and can easily make meters with his boot

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
looks like Waverley will be full-strength in backs, but without 2 regular backrowers

however Waverley has good depth this year ... and happy to see Szabo will get his chance ... and reckon Clifton will be awesome getting a better jump on things ... some of those Cranbrook inside backs might get blindsided

no sign of rain/slop or cold ... so tipping Waverley:)

Pilfer99

Frank Row (1)
Comment thoughts
1sts
1. Grindal (K)
2. Upton (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
5. Frost (K)
6. Margin (K)
7. Kemmeny (C)
8. Basson (K)
9. Jordan (W)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Mohi (W)
12. Morris (T)
13. Armstrong (K)
14. Slaven (A)
15. Longville (T)

2nds

1. Rahme (A)
3. McCormick (W)
4. Clifton (W)
5. Ireland (K)
7. Stead (T)
8. Tuitavake (T)
9. Bosch (K)
11. Van Woerkom (B)
12. Fuller (W)
13. Yoanniddis (W)
14. Mazaraki (A)

Looks good but would rather see Hardina at 7 for 2nds. Also Partington the 6 from Aloys has been looking very solid so far, hard runner, strong over the ball easily up there for strongest tackler in the side and generally has been left out of most CAS talk so far. Will Lloyd from Baker has been dropped to the 2nds this week after some questionable form, not looking good for those having him in CAS contention

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Tim Anstey (Barker THP) will be back to full fitness in 2 weeks. Don't write him off yet. His rehab on foot is going well. For those who recall how he anchored the CAS 1st scrum against CHS last year as a year 11 lad, he should be in the front row for this years fixtures. The Merewether prop he jousted with went on to collect NSW honours. If Tim had not been concussed in that match (and hence did not play the GPS round) I am sure he would have collected further rep games.

Status
Not open for further replies.