• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
CAS Rep 1st XV
My thoughts on the rep team after today’s round, having seen all teams except Waverly play but knowing some of the names from the 2015 season.
Position
CAS 1st XV

Anstey (B)
Coghill (B)
Wayland (T)
Frost (K)
Ireland (K)
Margin (K)
Kemeny ( C ) Capt
Basson (K)
Jordon (W)
Donaldson (W)
Mohi (W)
Armstrong (K)
Yoanniddis (W)
Longville (T)
Stocks (K)

Comments on selections.
Despite being in a losing team all season (except todays clash) the Barker front row has been undefeated all year. Anstey will be back from injury next week (one week to early IMHO) and is proven at rep level. Coghill, has been the form hooker and a total mongrel ball in hand and just loves dishing out big hits. Just the type of player (Sth African heritage) that will take it to the GPS players. Wayland (T) just pips Grindal as the other prop and makes for a sizeable and strong front row.
The Knox pairing of Frost and Ireland take both positions in the 2nd row. Frost at 6ft 8 provides height in the lineouts and a great option at the restarts, while Ireland is the form 2nd rower around the park and is fit and strong with a ferocious attitude. I know this relegates Rasch to the 2nds but with tall timber in Frost and the other players clearly better around the park it makes for a balanced team.
Margin (6) and Basson (8) are big strong mobile players which will match the GPS lads while Kemeny is the stand out 7 and my choice for captain.
The backs were harder to select.
I have taken the mind set of choosing the best players with speed, skill and size to fill the positions, while acknowledging they may be out of position in some cases.
I have chosen the Waverly half/ 5/8th pairing of Jordon & Donaldson sight unseen over the Knox lads primarily because behind a stronger pack I think they provide more innovative and exciting game. Armstrong (K) and Yoanniddis (W) are big strong and fast, and can tackle, which we will need to shut down a potent GPS backline.
Mohi (W) is the form winger and has clearly filled out in the last 12 months and lost no speed. Longville (T) with his speed and experience gets my nod for the other winger and can rotate with Stocks (K) who gets the fullback spot.

CAS 2nd XV
Grindal (K)
Upton (K)
Buffa (B)
Rasch (T) Capt
Clifton (W)
Hrdina (A)
Stead (T)
Reimer (B)
Bosch (K)
Woodstock (K)
Slaven (A)
Fuller (W)
Flaherty (A)
Van Woerkom (B)

Stenmark ( C )

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
From what I have seen, I believe selectors seriously need to consider Clifton (W) at 6 over Margin. At 6'4 and 110kgs, CAS wouldn't lose a lot in size yet they gain a massive amount of mobility and speed. I believe Clifton played 6 today and would love to hear how he went. He has size, speed, strength and power. Margin does not have the speed that he does. Clifton also great as another lineout option. As such, my CAS team would be:

1. Wayland
2. Coghill
3. Anstey
4. Rasch
5. Frost
6. Clifton
7. Kemeny
8. Basson
9. Jordan
10. Dainton
11. Mohi
12. Morris
13. Armstrong
14. Longville
15. Stocks

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I should've mentioned his name before, but no one agreed or disagreed. There is always a lot of talk about Williams and Cornish as coaches. These guys have proven success. What does everyone think of Engele from Trinity? He coaches NSW 2s but has struggled to make Trinity competitive. They obviously have some quality players but consistently haven't been able to compete. Surely his role needs to be questioned? A 49-5 defeat today to Knox after Trinity talked up a chance to go top of the table proofs that he is dillusional about Trinity's ability. Thoughts?

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
From what I have seen, I believe selectors seriously need to consider Clifton (W) at 6 over Margin. At 6'4 and 110kgs, CAS wouldn't lose a lot in size yet they gain a massive amount of mobility and speed. I believe Clifton played 6 today and would love to hear how he went. He has size, speed, strength and power. Margin does not have the speed that he does. Clifton also great as another lineout option. As such, my CAS team would be:

1. Wayland
2. Coghill
3. Anstey
4. Rasch
5. Frost
6. Clifton
7. Kemeny
8. Basson
9. Jordan
10. Dainton
11. Mohi
12. Morris
13. Armstrong
14. Longville
15. Stocks

Looks about right, although I think Margin will be there instead of Clifton and Longville with be in 15 - he is the best broken field runner in the competition and has been for a couple of seasons.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)

1. Wayland
2. Coghill
3. Anstey
4. Rasch
5. Frost
6. Clifton
7. Kemeny
8. Basson
9. Jordan
10. Dainton
11. Mohi
12. Morris
13. Armstrong
14. Longville
15. Stocks

I think Dainton season is over from the talk at todays match.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Other players that will be in the mix for CAS rep sides (IMHO) would be;
Cranbrook: Doyle, Searl, Renton Matters
Trinity:Tuitavake
Barker: Woodgate,Marais,
Aloys: Mazaraki,Rahme,
Knox & Waverly are fully represented except I do need to see the Waverly forwards. Looking forward to watching Clifton next week.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Some pics from Barker v Alos 28.5.16.
IMG_6340.jpg
IMG_6341.jpg
IMG_6345.jpg
IMG_6350.jpg
IMG_6352.jpg
IMG_6360.jpg
IMG_6364.jpg
IMG_6379.jpg

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)
Let me tell you

1. Wayland
2. Coghill
3. Anstey
4. Rasch
5. Frost
6. Clifton
7. Kemeny
8. Basson
9. Jordan
10. Dainton
11. Mohi
12. Morris
13. Armstrong
14. Longville
15. Stocks

1. Wayland
2. Coghill
3. Anstey
4. Rasch
5. Frost
6. Clifton
7. Kemeny
8. Basson
9. Jordan
10. Dainton
11. Mohi
12. Morris
13. Armstrong
14. Longville
15. Stocks
Jordan was voted player of the day by one scribe and rightly so given he has the opportunity to touch the ball more than other players it is hard to go past him and he is improving every game. The forward in me however gave the player of the day to Clifton. He is a natural 6 with speed and size that no other 6 in the comp has. The combination of ball and aerial skills coupled with aggression were all on display. Seen plenty of back rowers here and over the ditch and he is top draw. Would be my first pick in the back row for CAS Firsts going purely on 2016 games to date. Moretti was another who stood out at No 8 and must be taken seriously. These guys destroyed a Cranbrook side I read would be a serious threat to Waverley. Hope they bounce back and injuries do not take a long term toll on the team performance.

stan jurd

Bob McCowan (2)

Barker /aloys game a fairly dire affair.Aloes up 7-0 at halftime after a try under the sticks against the run of play .Aloys scrum in trouble early with many players missing from starting team ,then lost a prop and went uncontested.2nd half alot of Barker attack resulted in try out wide and one close to ruck followed by late try on wing.Were told Aloys had 4 out and it showed.Dainton was missing at 10 and attack looked stifled in 2nd half.
best on park
Barker--2-COGHILL,8-REIMER,11-VAN WOERKOM,13-LLOYD,14-MARAIS
ALOYS-2-GILMANN,6-DENNY,,12-FLAHERTY,10-SLAVEN,15-MAZARAKI

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Engele has been there like 10 minutes

Great teams don't get made overnight

Joeys has kids 24/7 for 6 years and can't win a title

So I think bit harsh attributing trinity's woes to the new coach

simon quigley

Frank Row (1)
100% correct about Clifton.add to that his unbelievable defence,never misses a tackle and they all sting.if hes not in the 1st 15 I give up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There is always a lot of talk about Williams and Cornish as coaches. These guys have proven success.

Williams? Proven success?
I never thought I'd see those words in the same paragraph, unless the word not also appeared in that paragraph, let alone the same sentence.
The guy's contribution to rugby consists off all the one liners others were able to make up when he coached the Tahs

stan jurd

Bob McCowan (2)
Other players that will be in the mix for CAS rep sides (IMHO) would be;
Cranbrook: Doyle, Searl, Renton Matters
Trinity:Tuitavake
Barker: Woodgate,Marais,
Aloys: Mazaraki,Rahme,
Knox & Waverly are fully represented except I do need to see the Waverly forwards. Looking forward to watching Clifton next week.

you could add Burston for Cranbrook and Denny for Aloys as players in the mix for 2nd row/backrow positions.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Williams? Proven success?
I never thought I'd see those words in the same paragraph, unless the word not also appeared in that paragraph, let alone the same sentence.
The guy's contribution to rugby consists off all the one liners others were able to make up when he coached the Tahs
14 straight wins against CAS opposition - what would constitute success?

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't understand all the angst about Williams.

Surely we want good coaches at schoolboy level. Not just to develop skills and conditioning and train line outs, scrummaging and so on, but also the off-field stuff about team culture, sports psychology and tactical analysis.

Leaving aside Williams modest record coaching professional teams, he brings a level of experience and professionalism that is unprecedented at CAS level. Knox are fortunate to have him and it shows... they are clearly the best coached side in the comp and under Williams the school has developed a style and culture for its rugby that will stand it in good stead for years to come.

Given that grass roots rugby needs all the help it can get, I only see this as positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.