• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
it is going to be interesting at Death Valley on Saturday

weather could play a factor . meant to be cold windy and possibly rainy

personally I think Cranbrook should be hoping for rain . and a mud bath

however I don't think they will get their wishes

how they match up?

both sides have some excellent backs . with Waverley having Tyzac Jordan, Fuller and Mohi, as best known . while Cranbrook in my view has the best CAS 10 in Darcy Searl . plus Stenmark and Stewart are both solid

I think both forward packs are pretty evenly matched .. however I think Brook are significantly better at the set piece . particularly line-outs

in recent years Cranbrook have outplayed Waverley in the forwards, and Waverley faces the same potential undoing

if Waverley flashy backs are on the backfoot, it could easily go Cranbrook's way

however barring a mud-bath I think Waverley's backs should prove the difference . outside Cranbrook's inside backs, they are pretty vunerable on the edges . which is exactly where Waverley are strong

so assuming Jackson Mohi is fit . I am tipping Waverley . but as I say it could be very interesting, and it will be a critical match in terms of how Waverley's season plays out . ie can they bounce back from the Knox disappointment, and still remain a title chance

the key for Waverley is to shut-down Searle . as he is the X factor

Some interesting names in the CIS Rugby league U18 team for the Australian Schoolboys comp at Wynnum, Qld, in the second week of the July school hols.
Certainly would be big ask to compete at Riverview in the first week, as well.

However great opportunity to get noticed by the U20s Holden Cup scouts for 2017

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some interesting names in the CIS Rugby league U18 team for the Australian Schoolboys comp at Wynnum, Qld, in the second week of the July school hols.
Certainly would be big ask to compete at Riverview in the first week, as well.

However great opportunity to get noticed by the U20s Holden Cup scouts for 2017

Really who cares. Maybe you could post this on a loig forum because frankly cis league has no relevance here...

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Knox over Trinity 49-5 ft. The ref clearly the star of the show - not a scrum allowed to continue without at least one lecture and reset.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
62-24 waverley over cranbrook

Once Searl left injured , cranbrook played bravely

But the double V really ran riot , and it was a carve-up

TYzac speed/agility around scrum and breakdown was extraordinary
And Kemeny was easily the best in the losing team

My points would be

3 tyzac jordan
2 Patrick Clifton ... He has some tow
1 moretti ... Year 10!!

Brook
3. Kemeny
2 tom burston ... Hope his injury late in game isn't too serious
1 stnmark

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Knox 49 (7 converted tries) comfortable winner over Trinity 5.

The score was a little unflattering for Trinity, as Knox scored a couple where there appeared to be knock ons and Trinity had one disallowed late in the first half for a foot on the line, which looked to have happened after the player passed inside, but Knox looked a 30 point better team.

The Knox brand of rugby is pretty simple. It relies on discipline and structure. Minimise handling errors. Kick for territory. Wait for an error from the opposition and then counter-attack. Easy enough to say, but it takes discipline and skill to execute and they have that in spades. Very few missed tackles, not too many handling errors, a strong kick/chase and good structure in defence.

I've seen all the CAS sides except Cranbrook play now. Knox is more disciplined than all of them by a wide margin.

Milan Basson (8) was fantastic, including scoring a long range try. Hugh Margin (6) was tireless in defence, Leo Bosch (9) was flawless, kicking 7/7 including a few from wide out and passing superbly. Tom Woodcock (10) was rock solid, kicking well and very good defensively.

For Trinity, in a team that was well beaten, James Wayland (1) had another great game, Sipu Tuitavake (8) was strong and Ryan Longville (15) created several opportunities and routinely beat the first and second lines of defence on kick returns. Liam Rasch (6) was again solid in the set pieces and challenged the line at times, but I think Margin outpointed him.

An interesting game, as the lineout, scrums, ruck and maul were fairly evenly balanced, but Knox's structure, discipline and superior ball handling were evident. They may not exhibit a great deal of flair, but I suspect that's largely because it has been subordinated by showing the discipline to stick to the game plan.

All of Waverley, Trinity and Aloys have some fine players, but those schools also have some weaker players, and will make handling errors that give the opportunity to counter. Knox's game plan revolves around exploiting that. Kick for territory, wait for the error and then counter attack. It's simple and effective.

Knox is not unbeatable. Trinity stole some of their lineout, some of Knox's throws were crooked and Trinity may have had a slight edge in the scrum. And last week Waverley put Knox under pressure and only fell short at the end. However, from what I've seen so far Knox makes far fewer handling mistakes in general play than any of the other CAS teams, and if they are to challenge Knox in the second round of outings they will need to eliminate the errors.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
I should add that Knox also look super fit across the park. A credit to the boys - they've obviously put in the hard yards with diet, gym and running.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Looks good but would rather see Hardina at 7 for 2nds. Also Partington the 6 from Aloys has been looking very solid so far, hard runner, strong over the ball easily up there for strongest tackler in the side and generally has been left out of most CAS talk so far. Will Lloyd from Baker has been dropped to the 2nds this week after some questionable form, not looking good for those having him in CAS contention

Will Lloyd was not dropped. Conor Bastow went to the 2nds. Lloyd played centre (13) while Ben Hayward was promoted from the 2nds

Rugbytragic2015

Bob McCowan (2)
Went to watch Trinity play Knox today. I was hoping for more from Trinity. However they seemed to lack aggression and their defence let them down. Rasch and Wayland played well, but the rest were ineffective. Knox are strong across the park. Their number 8, 15 and 10 all played very well. The centre Armstrong had a more quiet game than I've seen him in the past. They will be hard to beat this season. They also have a kid that is the tallest schoolboy player I've ever seen.

NeedAlift

Frank Row (1)
I agree with both those squads but I feel Flaherty (A) should be wearing the 12 jersey over fuller (W) in the 2nds squad he has been more consistent in defense and dangerous in attack, also stenmark (C) should wear the 15 over Lloyd (B) as he has a greater defensive game and can easily make meters with his boot
I 100% agree with the idea of Flaherty (A) playing in the 12 jersey after today's performance against barker. Outstanding tackling and line breaks from the Youngblood definitely contributed to Aloys' high pressure throughout the game. I also believe Lloyd (B) should not be filling the 15 role due to his inconsistency recently. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard that he was supposed to be playing seconds today against Aloysius?

Status
Not open for further replies.