• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
Revised backline

9. Tejcek (B)
10. Illias (T)
11. Towns (W)
12. Cameron (K)
13. Byron Hollingworth-Dessent (T) u16 a's
14. Shariat (K)
15. Basheer (B)

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
@Konbar, I forgot about Byron H-D. He was very effective on the wing for ACT at JSC in 2012-14. I haven't seen him play since moving to Syd last year, but if he is the regular OC for Trinity 16As I'd back his selection. If he plays wing I'd leave Towns at 13 and put Byron at 11. Personally I think McInerney (2015 Gordon and MNZ) is the better #10, but we can agree to disagree.

@JT, I think you are letting those Blue n Gold glasses cloud your better judgment!

On the boys playing league, very positive for fitness, defence, direct running and general 'toughening up'. Not so great for scrum, line out, ruck in attack or defence, fly half decision making, positional play and kicking of back 3. Not as big an issue for backs, but I hope the league-playing forwards aren't found out technically when playing rugby at a higher level. The GPS forwards in particular will be very good at the basics.

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
@Konbar, I forgot about Byron H-D. He was very effective on the wing for ACT at JSC in 2012-14. I haven't seen him play since moving to Syd last year, but if he is the regular OC for Trinity 16As I'd back his selection. If he plays wing I'd leave Towns at 13 and put Byron at 11. Personally I think McInerney (2015 Gordon and MNZ) is the better #10, but we can agree to disagree.

@JT, I think you are letting those Blue n Gold glasses cloud your better judgment!

On the boys playing league, very positive for fitness, defence, direct running and general 'toughening up'. Not so great for scrum, line out, ruck in attack or defence, fly half decision making, positional play and kicking of back 3. Not as big an issue for backs, but I hope the league-playing forwards aren't found out technically when playing rugby at a higher level. The GPS forwards in particular will be very good at the basics.
Yes I saw the act player playing for trinity and he had a lot of dazzle dazzle flair in his attack - speed and evasion . Although tackling was so so. A bit of a Ben sharriot effect -

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
Feel free to say you who you would pick instead then from Waverley
Is this a Knox based team ? I haven't seen too much from the Knox forwards - not sure if freer or Trobec should be there ?? Saw freer play at barbarians and he was quiet - not sure if I have seen Trobec play for reps?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Is this a Knox based team ? I haven't seen too much from the Knox forwards - not sure if freer or Trobec should be there ?? Saw freer play at barbarians and he was quiet - not sure if I have seen Trobec play for reps?

No, but Knox finished top school in 15As, so it seems reasonable that they might end up with slightly greater representation based on form this season. Waves have a good number also.

Feel free to nominate others if you don't think Frear and Trobec are the best options. Both played for Gordon in this years SJC winning U15s and Frear was in last year's Syd U14s. Trobec was selected for MNZ but Knox apparently 'suggested' he focus on school 16As and not play at Regionals.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
No, but Knox finished top school in 15As, so it seems reasonable that they might end up with slightly greater representation based on form this season. Waves have a good number also.

Feel free to nominate others if you don't think Frear and Trobec are the best options. Both played for Gordon in this years SJC winning U15s and Frear was in last year's Syd U14s. Trobec was selected for MNZ but Knox apparently 'suggested' he focus on school 16As and not play at Regionals.
Moretti and Murphy from Waverley are a must both outstanding forwards. Played plenty of club rugby , Murphy made Nswpssa , moretti cis , but now concentrate on league outside of school . As for max towns he should play wherever he wants he is that good and is improving all the time. In my opinion o/c is his go and Cameron will have to fit in around towns as towns a much better player.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
I don't agree that Towns is a much better player, maybe in the school competition but when they come up against the gps boys I think that Cameron's experience will show. Towns runs side ways a lot, needs to start punching holes.

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't agree that Towns is a much better player, maybe in the school competition but when they come up against the gps boys I think that Cameron's experience will show. Towns runs side ways a lot, needs to start punching holes.
Have to agree cameron is the complete package. Towns would need to come off the bench perhaps or replace sharriot. The act boy is a must playing for trinity . Still need to take a closer look at the forward options .

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
Have to agree cameron is the complete package. Towns would need to come off the bench perhaps or replace sharriot. The act boy is a must playing for trinity . Still need to take a closer look at the forward options .
My concern with the forwards is after watching 2015 cas u16, there wasn't a back to basics formula. Plenty of size but fundamental stuff - tackling, breakdown, phase play . Give me a team of competent players respected by their own peers who go in their and toil- then let the flashy backline which has significant punching power so the rest .

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
My concern with the forwards is after watching 2015 cas u16, there wasn't a back to basics formula. Plenty of size but fundamental stuff - tackling, breakdown, phase play . Give me a team of competent players respected by their own peers who go in their and toil- then let the flashy backline which has significant punching power so the rest .
Thats my issue as well and why I like Frear and Trobec - both experienced long term rugby forwards who know their stuff and have played alongside many of the GPS and ISA forwards at club and rep level for years.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Moretti and Murphy from Waverley are a must both outstanding forwards. Played plenty of club rugby , Murphy made Nswpssa , moretti cis , but now concentrate on league outside of school . As for max towns he should play wherever he wants he is that good and is improving all the time. In my opinion o/c is his go and Cameron will have to fit in around towns as towns a much better player.
Moretti and Murphy are both in my team. Cameron is NSW U15s, so you may take the view Towns is a better player, but some good judges , selectors and GGR followers, obviously see things a bit differently.

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
Fair
Thats my issue as well and why I like Frear and Trobec - both experienced long term rugby forwards who know their stuff and have played alongside many of the GPS and ISA forwards at club and rep level for years.
fair enough - take the point. I haven't seen enough of both of them although perhaps barbarians wasn't Freers best days. Trobec playing for the 16a means that he's probably half decent given Knox were CAS a winners . Add the two Waverley lads m&m.

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
Moretti and Murphy are both in my team. Cameron is NSW U15s, so you may take the view Towns is a better player, but some good judges , selectors and GGR followers, obviously see things a bit differently.
Cameron is a special - really high quality and must be in the team in his preferred position.

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)

I agree they are both very good players

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
@JT I'm not questioning Town's ability and he is in my starting team, just a question of whether as 13 or 11. Cameron and Byron H-D have proven game breaking ability over several years at rep level alongside and against the GPS, ISA, CHS and CCC players who the CAS U16s will be up against next June (eg, the Norths team defeated by Gordon at this years JSC and by ACT at last year's JSC contained 8-10 players that I think will be in the GPS U16s team). That proven ability and experience at higher level in rugby, and familiarity with the opposition, would be valuable mid field.

@Init2winit, are the others better options than those currently listed? Interesting that no-one has selected them to this point. Not sure what positions they play, but exercise caution with translating league prowess to rugby for forwards in particular.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
I think there's a big difference between being in the roosters winter development squad and being in the roosts Harold matthews side... If they are still there in the Harold matts side I will be convinced that they could find a way into the side but until then judging by their season I could not see the other 3 roosters boys in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.