• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Knox 35 Cranbrook 3
6 tries: goal kicking wasn't a winner on the day
Agreed. Very short kicking style. Admittedly most kicks from fairly outside.

Indeed Knox's general kicking game let them down. Two out on the full in 1H allowing Cranbrook to have the bulk of field position that half, and a number of penalties that only gained 10m. A charge down and a touched ball in 2H and a few stolen line outs didn't help either. Could have been an absolute demolition.

Forwards were fairly evenly matched I thought, Knox won the scrums and Cranbrook the line outs. Knox backline the difference particularly in the 2H. Knox #9 very evasive.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Wow, a few sensitive types out there! I'll call it as I see it and with the best of intentions - I want these boys to play to their potential and it's easy to develop a false sense of security winning easy matches. So yes, a better effort, but against much weaker opposition. Knox forwards played well with ball in hand and defended well but were often NOT at the breakdown in numbers and ball was turned over a number of times as result. They also do not typically drive over the ball the way say Joeys do, and against better opposition it won't be good enough.
The boys who played up last year played well in attack and defended well. They were part of the same issue at the breakdown.
Agree, I watched both Waves 16A v Alo's 16A's and Cranbrook 16A v Knox 16A's, and I thought both Waves & Alo's looked better than Knox today,. However as you say, Knox weren't greatly tested and would no doubt put in a more emphatic display when under pressure.

FrontRowSymetry

Frank Row (1)
Yes anyone with any reports on 16's games today?

The Barker vs Trinity 16A's game ended with Barker Domination 52-7. Trinity try was very lucky break away following a knock on. Trinity forwards dominated in the scrum but were weak in ruck and maul and the Barker Forwards punished them for it. Both backs ran well but Barker Backs made several break throughs on the wing and Jack Dudley did well to catch and pass under pressure. Matt Graham (12) and Ben Bryden (13) for Barker made a brilliant run in the middle with good support that ended in a try, proving the Trinity needs to ramp up their defence in the back line. Good play from the Barker Front Row (Tom Bullen, Josh Stals, Matt Turner) who dominated in the ruck and maul and were there for support 90% of the time. Overall the Barker Side was much better than the Trinity team with good performances from Harry Flaherty (4) Jack Dudley (10) and Jamie Basheer (14) as well as good running down the wing from Sam Kirwan (11).

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I reckon that is pretty respectable from Cranbrook 16As

Waverley and Knox too me are slipping

to be fair .... Waverley are missing 2 of their best in Murphy and Moretti, and Aloys have proved they are a good team ... and Murphy will be back next week .. least that's what I was told

however Waverley has some issues

not sure if this is true but have heard there has been an exodus to Soccer

and 16s are down to 3 teams

now that is the same as Cranbrook ... and Cranbrook has close to enough for 4 teams

so how come?

well strikes me some unintelligent things @ Waverley

take the 16s trial ... they just ran a full strength 16A team and ran it right over the B team ... what does that prove ?

If you want to sure up your strength you want to be encouraging those B players ...I know Cornish is smart enough to mix up the teams in the Opens trials

anyway the Waverley 16s has been a strong age group from the junior school, and if they start getting pipped, there should be a few hard questions asked

anyway on the Opens ... glad to see a convincing win at Death Valley ... never doubted this bunch

can't wait for Knox in 2 weeks ... although don't want to put the mokka on the Double V

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
As well as the 16As, Trinity also got smashed in the 2nds, losing 31-8, five tries to one.

The 1st XV was a different story because Trinity's pack was too big and strong for Barker to manage. 14-6 to Trinity, with all points in the first 25 minutes. A pretty scrappy game, with both sides showing plucky goal line defence at times, but Trinity starving its back line and playing 10 man rugby.

Barker had a good crack, but Trinity's defence (which was porous against Pats last week) was excellent today.

Barker's scrum was on roller-skates (I counted 5 tight heads to TGS). I can't recall a more one-sided scrum in a CAS 1st XV game for a very long time. But Trinity conceded a huge penalty count at the breakdown and inexplicably failed to let its back line have the ball when it had go forward, instead playing it tight despite the forwards routinely dropping good ball.

Takeaways are that both sides will be happy with their defensive efforts, both sides will be unhappy with the number of simple knock ons, Barker needs to improve its set plays and Trinity needs to improve its discipline and not get so obsessed with its powerful running forwards that it neglects its backs.

For Trinity, Liam Rasch (6) and Matthew Stead (7) were the try scorers and deservedly so, as both had strong games. Stead was plainly the best on ground, making several great runs, many excellent tackles and working tirelessly at the breakdown.

Barker had a go through its backs and, despite Trinity scoring 2 tries to nil, Barker had more of a go at attacking through the backs and playing attractive rugby. Trinity's mid-field defence was solid though, and Jordan Morris (12) thumped any of the Barker players unlucky enough to head his way.

Matt Nevinson (12) for Barker also had a good defensive game when called upon, and effectively stopped Trinity from getting the ball wide on several occasions.

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any standouts from both sides?
Yeah the KNox forward with white headgear was driving hard and some great steals and played positionally well. He was the forward of the game. Number 3 from cranbrook a close second

Backs from KNox had a lot of class

Mr Goyu Goodthing

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone got a review of Knox Vs Cranbrook or Waves Vs Aloys in the 16's​

Watched Knox Vs Cranbrook 1sts. Relatively even game in many respects. However the big differences between the teams were:

- Knox scrum very dominant
- Stocks and Armstrong in backs made excellent run metres,
- Knox defence in backs was impenetrable.
- The knox rolling mall very effective
- Basson had a great game all-round

Cranbrook had plenty of opportunity and possession but just couldn't convert it.

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
Cranbrook had a great second half kicking game . Much better than knox

quote="SonnyDillWilliams, post: 840205, member: 8546"]I reckon that is pretty respectable from Cranbrook 16As

Waverley and Knox too me are slipping

to be fair .. Waverley are missing 2 of their best in Murphy and Moretti, and Aloys have proved they are a good team . and Murphy will be back next week .. least that's what I was told

however Waverley has some issues

not sure if this is true but have heard there has been an exodus to Soccer

and 16s are down to 3 teams

now that is the same as Cranbrook . and Cranbrook has close to enough for 4 teams

so how come?

well strikes me some unintelligent things @ Waverley

take the 16s trial . they just ran a full strength 16A team and ran it right over the B team . what does that prove ?

If you want to sure up your strength you want to be encouraging those B players .I know Cornish is smart enough to mix up the teams in the Opens trials

anyway the Waverley 16s has been a strong age group from the junior school, and if they start getting pipped, there should be a few hard questions asked

anyway on the Opens . glad to see a convincing win at Death Valley . never doubted this bunch

can't wait for Knox in 2 weeks . although don't want to put the mokka on the Double V[/quote]

William

Allen Oxlade (6)
You guys do realise don't you that this Cranbrook 16As team hasn't won for three years and lost most games 50 or 60 nil last year. Knox should expect to really dominate them.
Yeah have to agree -KNox backs were disappointing . Poor Kicking game by KNox meant that positional plAy was lousy in the second half . Knox forwards did do the job led well by the number 5 however were not perfect in an imperfect match. Backs looked good at times Although some poor choices .
You guys do realise don't you that this Cranbrook 16As team hasn't won for three years and lost most games 50 or 60 nil last year. Knox should expect to really dominate them.

leagueman

Frank Row (1)
Is this a 16s thread or an opens ? Who cares about 16s ! get real it means nothing as GPS v CAS will show this year .

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Very happy to have a separate 16s thread, but find it interesting that some of those who declare interest in Opens appear relatively reluctant to contribute whereas 16s posters seem a bit more forthcoming. In a democracy you reap as you sow. If you'd like more opens commentary, give some thought to providing it rather than lamenting its relative absence.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Little bit of action from 16A's Waverley v Aloys, won by Waves 7-0. The try came with 5mins to go. Great try saving tackle by the Waves fullback with seconds to go.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Definitely game of two halves at Death Valley. Aloys went to halftime up 13-10 which should have been 20-10 were it not for a try saving tackle leading to Aloys spilling the ball over the line next to Waverley's posts. Up to the whistle, Aloys had been tenacious in defence and their backs made great inroads through slick passing from the inside backs and getting the ball wide past the Waverley compressed defence, which continued to stay compressed and vulnerable. When Waverley had the ball they chose to run at the man rather than at the gap and Aloys' defence was up to the task. I'm not sure I've seen so many scrums where the feed was given to the defensive team for a collapsed maul after the player with the ball was held up. Aloys also slowed the ball up at the ruck by the tackler rarely releasing the player before playing the ball. A yellow card against Waverley for collapsing a rolling maul saw Aloys use their numerical advantage to construct a good try out wide.

Whatever the coaches said at halftime worked a treat. Waverley ran into the gaps rather than the men and let the ball move around. They really tested the Aloys defence in the second half and the tackles began to drop off sufficiently for momentum to build. A hat trick to Mohi showed the advantage of using the ball down the narrow channel. One more card to each team in the second half also opened things up, but Waverley certainly made all the running in the second half and six tries to one was a fair result in the end, even if it didn't look that way at half time.

Aloys will certainly be a handful for teams this year but will need to play the full 70 and the fact that their 2s-4s had scores of between 30 and 50 put on them means that depth is pretty thin. But their 1s are tenacious in defence and have some pretty slick inside backs. For Waverley, a few things to work on - they still aren't at full strength but the players are all pulling their weight and you could see their confidence grow once they worked out the correct game plan. Their lineouts were a mess, 50:50 at best on their throw and never troubled Aloys on theirs. Only kicking 1/7 meant they left 13 points on the field. And hopefully the bravado/league influence of tackling high and running at the man will be put back in the drawer for future games. All in all though it was a good open game played in a good spirit with a very nice indigenous opening and smoking ceremony (probably not the best day for the latter event given the hazard reduction) before the main game kickoff with two of the Ella brothers in attendance.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Beautiful tackle by Luca Martin at very end of that waverley 16s game ... And exactly my point be players in Bs ... He has been in bs pretty much most of the time , so all schools need to look beyond this narrow focus on the A team and the bragging rights

After rugby is an awesome opportunity to educate boys on all sorts of things from courage, team work, working towards a common goal, blah blah

Awesome re Ella's being at QP... Reminds me of how good rep rugby was back in their day ... What coming out of the tahs is "rubbish rugby", the half time women's 7 rugby was more entertaining

How many tries has waverley's Jackson Mohi bagged this year?!

The only thing standing in the way of higher rep honours is fact that he hasn't the bulky frame that clipboards seem enamoured with

Ps hope nothing major ️re the spinal in the waverley 2nds game? Someone please confirm

Status
Not open for further replies.