• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Nothing hypothetical about it - Knox Opens got over ISA leaders Auggies reasonably comfortably in this year's trials.

Unfortunately have to agree with you here.
As you said, and CatchnPass rightly pointed out, with the exception of Knox, ISA schools are seemingly stronger than CAS which would set it as the 2nd strongest comp in Sydney. Only reason for this is the relative strength across all teams throughout the comp with every team (bar gregs) having the opportunity to beat the other, which in my opinion is not occurring in CAS anymore with Knox at the head. With this being said I would not place CAS far behind ISA and I'm sure with a couple of good years they could easily get back ahead.

I 100% agree that parity is the greatest issue facing the CAS as it stands today. Sure, Knox could dispatch most teams in NSW. But after that, where is the comp at? A smaller team like Kinross could fairly comfortably defeat 75% of the CAS - the middle-to-bottom end is where the CAS sees its problem today; look for them to get exposed in the upcoming rep games - the cream of the ISA and GPS will rise to the top

It disappoints me, as a long-time CAS lover I want this comp to be the strongest it possibly can, it really is the heart and soul of schoolboy rugby in NSW, and by god if I dont love my rugger.

You are exactly right rugbybloke, give it a couple years and CAS will be up an about with the big boys once again

What does everyone else think?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We'll see, but the CAS teams can change from game 1 to game 2 as we saw last year, so all the players in the 2nds still have an opportunity.
Some minor tweaks
logo_CAS.gif

CAS v GPS to be played at Shore on Tuesday 21st June ( as of 20th June, )

CAS 1st XV
1. Connor GRINDAL ( K )
2. Jack UPTON ( K ),
3. Liam SMITH ( W )
4. Liam RASCH ( T )
5. Nicholas FROST ( K )
6. Hugh MARGIN ( K )
7. Josh KEMENY ( C )
8. Milan BASSON ( K – Capt)
9. Tyzac JORDAN ( W – V Capt)
10. Darcy SEARL ( C )
11. Jackson MOHI ( W )
12. Jordan MORRIS ( T )
13. James ARMSTRONG ( K )
14. Zac CARR ( W )
15. Ryan LONGVILLE ( T )

CAS 2nd XV
1. Tim ANSTEY ( B – V Capt )
2. Adam HASSAN ( W )
3. Brady DAWSON ( K )
4. Lachlan IRELAND ( K )
5. Lachlan DREW-MORRIS ( W )
6. Matthew STEAD ( T )
7. Ben O’SULLIVAN ( W )
8. Thomas GEE ( K )
9. Leo BOSCH ( K )
10. Tom WOODCOCK ( K )
11. Jack MAZARAKI ( A )
12. Tom FULLER ( W – Capt )
13. Peter SLAVEN ( A )
14. Byron HOLLINGWORTH-DESSENT ( T )
15. Harry STOCKS ( K )

16. Finn WRIGHT ( W )
17. Matt COGHILL ( B )
18. Kristian SOUVALIOTIS ( T )
19. William DENNY ( A )
20. Sipu TUITAVAKE ( T )
21. Alex HEATH ( A )
22. Ben DONALDSON ( W )
23. Jaya YOANNIDIS ( W )

Changes to previous listed squad:
Out – M Matters ( C )
IN – S Tuitavake ( T )
http://www.cas.nsw.edu.au/home/winter-sports/rugby/representative-teams/

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unfortunately have to agree with you here.
As you said, and CatchnPass rightly pointed out, with the exception of Knox, ISA schools are seemingly stronger than CAS which would set it as the 2nd strongest comp in Sydney. Only reason for this is the relative strength across all teams throughout the comp with every team (bar gregs) having the opportunity to beat the other, which in my opinion is not occurring in CAS anymore with Knox at the head. With this being said I would not place CAS far behind ISA and I'm sure with a couple of good years they could easily get back ahead.
In recent times, even when Augies and Oakhil have had all conquering School 1st XV's, the ISA Representative team has struggled to be competitive against the CAS Representative Team (exception of 2015).

IMHO the gap is closing between ISA and CAS but I wouldn't write either off. It is a cyclical thing, and one strong cohort working its way through the system can upset all predictions.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, and one swallow (European or African, laden or not) does not a summer make ie Barker 2014, Cranbrook 2015 had a good strong group of talented players that bucked the overall trend of how those schools traditionally performed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The sum of the whole is sometimes better than the sum of the parts.

Individual school 1st XV performances across CAS have been a little haphazard in recent times, yet their Rep teams have usually risen to the occasion against fancied opponents.

Backsaresmarter

Frank Row (1)
Great performance by CAS 2s to get over the top of GPS 2s 28-26. They were not 'lucky' to win and were the better team. CAS were stronger in both backs and forwards and played reasonably error free rugby with a great game plan. In particular the backs ran and scored quite freely with 3 x tries scored in backs.
Ireland, Stocks, Fuller and Woodcock had exceptional games and really put their hand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.