• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
CAS players?

NSW BLUE 7s Team announcement
Congratulations to the following boys who have been selected to represent NSW Blue in Perth.
Nath Lawson (VC)
Tom Woodcock (c)
Alan Tuigamala
Jake Styles
Will Harrison (VC)
Triston Reilly
Yule Yule
Billy Smith
Matt Stead
Hunter Ward
Dom Easy
Keiron Mundine
Tom Woodcock (Knox)
Matt Stead (Trinity)

B

Backline_Move

Some big changes happening at Knox next year, with Ardon and Cobb changing roles/taking LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). May have a big impact on the sporting program, in particular funding arrangements.

Will be interesting to see what happens, especially considering the strained relationship with Williams and the powers at be at the moment.

There was a serious issue about a student training in the rugby squad this term, while still being enrolled in his previous CAS school that have been discussed higher up as there are some insurance issues about potential player injuries and cover. This has also been considered poor practice by Cobb and Ardon who didn't even know the player was currently training with their elite squad.

Williams is very lucky to still be there by all accounts with even the level headed Glassie walking out on a meeting with him last week. Glassie will continue to work hard in his pirates role, but may be pushing to go much further up in the coaching ranks after the season next year.

B

Backline_Move

As a Knox parent, I would be disgusted if another school took a Knox player and had him training with the firsts squad while still enrolled at our school. But Williams does that and just shows how much he has brought down the Knox standards.

I'll be disappointed that my son spends his last year of rugby being coached by a childish self-centred man that's ensures he learns nothing about rugby, but can put together a mean driving maul.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Barker to go fully co-ed from 2020. This must by definition shrink the talent pool available for boys sports.

Andrew Heath the headmaster did exactly the same thing at the Cathedral School over a decade as the Head. This school was starting to field three teams per age group and challenging the GPS and CAS schools. In 2007 they even beat a good Newington team about 21-19. Now their obscurity as a Rugby School is only exceeded by its mediatory. Barker also now is a former shadow of its once powerful and proud status as a CAS rugby school that existed also ten years ago.

i meet him once and he appears to be a very nice and professional fellow. But his actions at the schools he has been in charge of, appear to be too liberal. Destroying Rugby as major sport now seems to be a active pastime of some Headmasters. Its time for pro-rugby old boys across the GPS, CAS and the ISA to start getting active in School politics. Our game needs to protected. I not calling for abolishing Soccer at these school, simply protecting the Rugby numbers and our game as a major sport.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
That Andrew Heath sounds like a right bastard. I wonder whether he's related to the Barker headmaster, Philip Heath?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
My apologies Snort, I clearly had the names confused. Yes I am talking about Andrew Heath. Regrettably, although he appears to like Rugby as a sport, his agenda from an educational point of view is less friendly. One solution would be to maintain the number of boys in each year group and have the girls "added on". That way Barker maintains its numbers in boys and its depth( Although having 3 teams in each age group is hardly real depth). In the mid 1990s, If I remember correctly Barker failed to win a match in 1996 and 1997 and may have only scored one try.

However, they implemented an improvement plan under I believe under Tim Wallace, an Old Boy of the School. Their Rugby improved out of sight. To the extent, they won the CAS premiership 3 times in the mid Naughties. I also believe they won the Waratah Shield about this time. Their results against he GPS Schools were particularly good. Flogging Kings and Newington one year, as well as beating Scots. They went down to the 8ths and were immensely respected as a Rugby School ( As well as a school in general).

This tradition is now but a memory on the agenda of excessive liberal educational belief. From my experience in teaching, co-oeducation as a benefit is greatly overstated. It might marginally, gentrify the boys but often at the expense of the girls who can feel quite uncomfortable with the presence of boys.

Girls in their own per groups develop more naturally and become socially superior to boys in their self-confidence, communication skills and academic pursuits. The presence of boys in this regard can be at times quite destructive for girls. Although, some schools do coeducation better than others.

As the late Jika Travers said when asked about co-education

" My Boys get all the co-education they need, on Chatswood Railway Station" .

For me it was Strathfield Railway Station with the girls from PLC,MLC and Meridian.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm not sure it's as bad as all that B&W. Barker not only won in the mid noughties but as recently as 2013 (after also winning 2010 and 2012) and are going through a rebuilding period as all schools do from time to time. I suspect that they will be a very competitive force in 2017. I won't argue though that going fully coed is unlikely to bolster the rugby program.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm not sure it's as bad as all that B&W. Barker not only won in the mid noughties but as recently as 2013 (after also winning 2010 and 2012) and are going through a rebuilding period as all schools do from time to time. I suspect that they will be a very competitive force in 2017. I won't argue though that going fully coed is unlikely to bolster the rugby program.

That is encouraging to hear, CAS Rugby needs a strong Barker College.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As the late Jika Travers said when asked about co-education: " My boys get all the co-education they need, on Chatswood Railway Station". For me it was Strathfield Railway Station with the girls from PLC, MLC and Meriden.

You omitted to mention the other girls from Trinity and St Pat's at Strathfield RS. :rolleyes:

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Barker as a Rugby school will be a non entity in a few years. I doubt it will remain in the CAS

That's a very big call. I hope you are wrong Has been. I cant see how a fine tradition in Rugby will be wiped by the introduction of girls from year 7. Certainly hasn't been an issue from year 10 onwards.

Looking at the talent on offer, I believe Barker in the Firsts will be stronger in 2017 and even stronger in 2018.

Barker will need to improve the coaching and development programmes from year 7 onwards to encourage participation.

Shore in the GPS have markedly lifted their game and I feel will be a lot stronger in 2017

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
That's a very big call. I hope you are wrong Has been. I cant see how a fine tradition in Rugby will be wiped by the introduction of girls from year 7. Certainly hasn't been an issue from year 10 onwards.

Looking at the talent on offer, I believe Barker in the Firsts will be stronger in 2017 and even stronger in 2018.

Barker will need to improve the coaching and development programmes from year 7 onwards to encourage participation.

Shore in the GPS have markedly lifted their game and I feel will be a lot stronger in 2017

Armchair selector - I sincerely hope I am wrong too and have misconceived what I have seen at the school over the last few years but all the signs of the boiling frog are there. The rot has set in.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
AS Old Boys, parents and Rugby Supporters we need to set limits on how far Headmasters can control or affect sports that have been a tradition of the school. No single Headmaster at an Independent should have the right to destroy a major sporting tradition. He is but one person at the school. A Liberal educational environment can be a marvellous experience, but like good food or a good wine should not be taken to excess. Melbourne Grammar sought co-education in the early 1990s. The Old Boys blocked this decision and to day the school numbers about 1800 boys in years 7-12.

Although, the Headmaster is a real professional from all accounts, his strategic vision of the school should never alter the school in a fundamental sense.

Full co-education for Barker may mean that say 100 boys will miss out on a place from 2020 at the school. With Knox over flowing with a a year 7 student intake of 350 boys and Shore with its waiting list a mile along, the North Shore is running out of traditional independent boys schools.

Other schools like Newington at 1350 boys (7-12, Last I heard from a teacher) are also full. Although I think they would like take more.

Maybe its time to start building new traditional, all male rugby playing independent schools. If they were to be Located in Western Sydney, Central Coast,Illawarra, Newcastle and Sydney's Southern Districts. The face of NSW and Australian Rugby would change in terms of both quantity and quality of players forever.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Armchair selector - I sincerely hope I am wrong too and have misconceived what I have seen at the school over the last few years but all the signs of the boiling frog are there. The rot has set in.

Apologies for the mixed metaphors

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
With 2017 just around the corner and the touchy subject of combined CAS GPS competition getting closer and closer. Would anyone like to shed some light or thoughts on how the CAS teams will go in these so called "trials".

Part of me thinks that it will be closer than people think and maybe Waverly and Knox will upset some of the giants of the GPS Competition. The other half however would not mind seeing them being dismantled and have GPS squash the arrogance lead by mr williams and his crew.

Do keep in mind that CAS 2nd XV beat GPS this year and well we all know how the 1st XV did.....crumbled.

Finally would anyone be able to predict a CAS 1st XV for 2017

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
With 2017 just around the corner and the touchy subject of combined CAS GPS competition getting closer and closer. Would anyone like to shed some light or thoughts on how the CAS teams will go in these so called "trials".

Part of me thinks that it will be closer than people think and maybe Waverly and Knox will upset some of the giants of the GPS Competition. The other half however would not mind seeing them being dismantled and have GPS squash the arrogance lead by mr williams and his crew.

Do keep in mind that CAS 2nd XV beat GPS this year and well we all know how the 1st XV did...crumbled.

I think we shouldn't focus on any 1 individual as there are many Knox and Waverley supporters who believe they will go well.

Not only for their teams sake but also for this new experiment, and maybe/hopefully it will lead into a bigger comp in 2018!

Aside from the open teams it will be interesting to see how the top sides fare in each age group.

Happy Xmas to everyone on these threads, do drink and eat too much!

B

Backline_Move

1. Wright (W)
2. Coghill (B)
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Frost (K)
5. Reimer (B)
6. Cornish (W)
7. Stead (T)
8. Moretti (W)

A very big powerful forward pack, I know Reimer is a back rower, but could pop in at 2nd row easily.

The front row there is massive, that could be a NSW front row, you could also say the same for the back row. Just missing a genuine second rower to slot in next to Frost.

I find the backs much harder to make up, with the lack of flair that we had coming through the ranks last year. I have spotted in 4 players from trinity in this list, but think the different trial matches will impact greatly on their selections. This just shows we need people to step up for CAS as well next year.

9. Cooper (T)
10. Woodcock (K) Captain
11. Hollingworth-Dessent (T)
12. Stenmark (C)
13. Hardaker (W)
14. Payne (T)
15. Ilias (T)

This team could be completely incorrect and there will be players in the team not even listed or thought of. Plus injuries will have an impact on selections.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
1. Wright (W)
2. Coghill (B)
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Frost (K)
5. Reimer (B)
6. Cornish (W)
7. Stead (T)
8. Moretti (W)

A very big powerful forward pack, I know Reimer is a back rower, but could pop in at 2nd row easily.

The front row there is massive, that could be a NSW front row, you could also say the same for the back row. Just missing a genuine second rower to slot in next to Frost.

Re probables for NSW schools in 2017, I reckon Charlie Rorke, 6 for Riverview and Australian Baa Baas in 2016 will be first picked for the back row. And I reckon he will play 8. He played 6 at school last season partly because Riverview had another terrific player at 8, Michael Fenn. Also Rorke isn't the tallest 6 running around and I have heard he has bulked up even more since last season. So I can see him being used as a wrecking ball off the back of the scrum by both Riverview and NSW.

Can Moretti play 6 or 7. From what I have recently heard from Waves people it sounds like he will definitely be in the running for a NSW back row position somewhere.

In the front row, Darcy Breen, 3 for Scots and 1 for NSW II in 2016 will be in the mix for a front row spot, as will Luke Edwards, 1 for Shore and Combined States in 2016.

In the backs, GPS have a stack of talent, including Reilly (Joeys), Easy (Riverview) and Styles and Smith (Scots) who all made NSW I 7s team earlier this month.

S

sidelineview

CAS 1sts Rorke?!
Nah .... only joking
Rorke is a quality player as is Breen who were members of the winning NSW2s team.
Moretti was a stand out for NSW U16s this year. He's been noticed.
Another player who will be in the mix for a NSW front row spot is Finn Wright. He's training with the Tahs U19s. If all things go according to plan he'll be a front runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.