• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Yesterday was the first time I've seen Knox.
They have a capable set of large forwards but I think they've become over reliant on this being the way in which they win matches.
Works fine against weaker CAS teams but has been exposed by stronger GPS teams.
They lacked penetration in the backs and when their big forwards are knocked over and put down quickly they are left with few options for advancing up the field.
In the second half yesterday they kept trying to punch up the middle and after 3 or 4 minutes were 25 yards back from where they started.
I have no doubt they would benefit from playing GPS teams more regularly. It will encourage them to develop more depth and variety to their game.

By the same token it looks like GPS teams are benefitting from playing Waverley.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
By the same token it looks like GPS teams are benefitting from playing Waverley.

Most certainly, Newington will have learnt that defence wise they need to tighten up in the broken play. Particularly, against fast backlines that play the full width of the field. New have in last couple of weeks, become use to achieving a physical presence through their forwards and dominating the game accordingly.

The New backline was very good last week against Knox in the attack, but were rarely tested out wide in defence by the Knox backs. Against Waves any compliancy that might have existed, has been well and truly been eliminated.

So the Waverly game, despite its score will have served as excellent excellent preparation for the GPS Round and the two remaining trials against Shore and Kings. The result I hope will be a less one dimensional New in attack and one that is tighter in defence. Next week against Shore, New will hopefully have the opportunity to attack out wide through their backs.

Equally, Waverly might have also learnt thing or two about the need to disrupt forward drives, counter-rucking near their try line and the value of effective pick and drive, together with the distribution phase ball.

Hence, the trials against Waverly as stated by sidelineview will have been immensely valued.

S

sidelineview

There's no info up on the CAS website as yet (no surprise)

NSW teams will be announced 24th June after the NSW Schoolboys Championships.
The Combined States team as well

The National Schoolboys Championships will be held 2nd till 8th July @ Riverview

Aussie Schoolboys and Barbarians teams announced Sat 8th July

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Most certainly, Newington will have learnt that defence wise they need to tighten up in the broken play. Particularly, against fast backlines that play the full width of the field. New have in last couple of weeks, become use to achieving a physical presence through their forwards and dominating the game accordingly.

The New backline was very good last week against Knox in the attack, but were rarely tested out wide in defence by the Knox backs. Against Waves any compliancy that might have existed, has been well and truly been eliminated.

So the Waverly game, despite its score will have served as excellent excellent preparation for the GPS Round and the two remaining trials against Shore and Kings. The result I hope will be a less one dimensional New in attack and one that is tighter in defence. Next week against Shore, New will hopefully have the opportunity to attack out wide through their backs.

Equally, Waverly might have also learnt thing or two about the need to disrupt forward drives, counter-rucking near their try line and the value of effective pick and drive, together with the distribution phase ball.

Hence, the trials against Waverly as stated by sidelineview will have been immensely valued.

All good & valid points - games whether won or lost should be an opportunity to learn and develop. I will disagree however that Waverley would have learnt the value of effective pick & drive - they use it when they can/need to as was seen during the Joeys game. But Waverley has always been a 'ball in hand' team. It can come unstuck if you don't have the cattle to win the contact but as is the case this year, they can play great ensemble rugby when they do. Knox in '16 and the Newington '17 version were very similar. Physically large, tightly coached and able to score via pick and drive when they got close to the line. But running the ball was not the preferred option - they ground out wins. Great if you're playing a test match but i always thought it was a bit of a waste at schoolboy level. I know you do what you can to win, but the thing I like about the expansive game at this level is that a team like Waverley when on song can tear a team apart because they threaten all across the park (60 + against Shore, SIC, 50 v Newington, 47 against SJC - lost to Kings when missing players & misfiring. I don't claim the ensemble games works just by turning up on the day !). With Knox and Newington, if the forwards were blunted, there was little to fall back on. Hence the big scores. Newington were a physically big side that hit hard in the forwards (and got hit hard in return - some great play from both sides there) but they appeared a bit clueless in the backs, even though they had some size there. It appeared that the forwards had been extensively coached but the backs less so - whatever it is I like the Waverley philosophy of running it. There are always bad years, but when the good years come about it's worth driving to QP to watch them play the game the way it was intended to be played. If only senior teams did the same we might stand a chance of getting people through the turnstiles.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
thoughts on Waverley v Newington...

I have always thought that schoolboy teams tend to have 3 or 4 stars

then 8 to 10 solid (if not flash) players , that tend not to be prolific try scorers

and then you tend to have a big step down to your making up the numbers, slash 2nd xv

Joeys tends to be the exception where while you still tend to have 3 to 4 stars, you then have a much bigger stock of solid cattle, that are solid reliable even if not spectacular

this year I think part of Waverley's strength is they have a bigger group of solid players ... so there are a number of 2nd Xv players that are quite quality

take for example a Connor Molloy ... the kid needs to fill out a bit, but give him a few more pounds, and the kid is quality

anyway the 3 or 4 (actually 5) Waverley stars to me are ... the 10 and 12 Donaldson/Hardaker ... and the 3/6/8 Wright/Cornish/Moretti

so Saturday was the usual story the 5 stars did the damage .. and soon as Wright left , things looked a bit more fragile

the pillar defence was probably the one thing I would criticise Waverley on ... as they looked a bit asleep there

however Newington's backs might as well as have had their tracky pants on, in terms of getting a run

Waverley's inside backs are quality ... but didn't show too much preparedness to attack on the edges

unless I am mistaken most of backline breaks were through the middle

anyways Waverley going to be hard to beat if they fix up their defence around the ruck/maul

and they keep Wright healthy, and really just keep doing what they have been doing

Up_the_guts

Frank Row (1)
Tom Pardington is having a blinder of a season for Aloys so far. I haven’t seen him miss a tackle and he is forever challenging the oppositions breakdown. Plagued a bit by injuries last, he still represented NSW junior gold u17 last year I fell that he should be seriously considered for the no.6 position in the CAS 1st team

PickandDrive420

Frank Row (1)
Frost is massively over rated, he is an ok ball runner but averages only 1/5 completed tackles this year, large improvements needed for a struggling knox side who will be worried when CAS time comes around especially facing a strong and improving cranbrook outfit rd 1. Watch out Matt Williams

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
Aloys showed up at Cranbrook and gave a big effort against a poor Cranbrook side. Aloys vs Trinity will be a good fight for the lower grade schools. The Aloys scrum and line out dominated and allowed for their backs to shine. Aloys 6 was good on the pitch with a great work rate. Sad to see prop Rahme getting red carded, especially after playing quite well.

For Cranbrook it was another week with many mistakes and a lot to work on but they did have periods where they began to dominate but could not execute. Finnbar Stenmark would have to have one of the best kicking games in CAS however he seemed to take on another injury, maybe a recurring injury? Peter Milios looked good in the Cranbrook forwards and Tas Smith definitely held his own showing promise for the Cranbrook 16's age group and would definitely be a contender for CAS 16' this year.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Frost is massively over rated, he is an ok ball runner but averages only 1/5 completed tackles this year, large improvements needed for a struggling knox side who will be worried when CAS time comes around especially facing a strong and improving cranbrook outfit rd 1. Watch out Matt Williams

Wow pick and drive..........you obviously weren't at Bellevue Hill last saturday. I am a Scots supporter with no flag to fly for Frost or Knox and I thought he was all class.
His line out work was flawless.
Fast, clean, reliable ball every time for his scrum half
Very hard to compete with a lad his height who gets off the ground well unless you infringe.
Guaranteed line out ball would secure him a place in most teams.
In the scrums Knox held their ground so he wasn't deficient there..........oh and he scored a try.
I can only assume you are being deliberately provocative or are completely clueless when it comes to rugby.....or both perhaps.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Wow pick and drive....you obviously weren't at Bellevue Hill last saturday. I am a Scots supporter with no flag to fly for Frost or Knox and I thought he was all class.
His line out work was flawless.
Fast, clean, reliable ball every time for his scrum half
Very hard to compete with a lad his height who gets off the ground well unless you infringe.
Guaranteed line out ball would secure him a place in most teams.
In the scrums Knox held their ground so he wasn't deficient there....oh and he scored 2 tries.
I can only assume you are being deliberately provocative or are completely clueless when it comes to rugby...or both perhaps.

He is taking the piss Wristman. It happens all the time in the lower echelons of the CAS streams.

Hit and Stick

Frank Row (1)
Aloys showed up at Cranbrook and gave a big effort against a poor Cranbrook side. Aloys vs Trinity will be a good fight for the lower grade schools. The Aloys scrum and line out dominated and allowed for their backs to shine. Aloys 6 was good on the pitch with a great work rate. Sad to see prop Rahme getting red carded, especially after playing quite well.

For Cranbrook it was another week with many mistakes and a lot to work on but they did have periods where they began to dominate but could not execute. Finnbar Stenmark would have to have one of the best kicking games in CAS however he seemed to take on another injury, maybe a recurring injury? Peter Milios looked good in the Cranbrook forwards and Tas Smith definitely held his own showing promise for the Cranbrook 16's age group and would definitely be a contender for CAS 16' this year.

Everyone is talking about how Cranbrook are going to withdraw from CAS rugby is clearly misled. They have a very strong 16s age group and a few decent players in the year 11 cohort that have been let down by depth in the past (may, tilley, white etc.). This year is going to be very tough considering the fact that their year 12s are not strong and supposedly haven't shown great commitment to the program. However in the next couple of years I think that they show some real promise. Smith, O'Reilly, Carroll, Hayman, Mclachlan (Year 9 kid playing CIS League) and the new islander boy whose name I think is Alii Pakutoa all show some real promise. It is going to be a very dark year in 2017 (I reckon both Knox and Waverly will put 85 points on them) but it was only a short time ago that Cranbrook flogged Trinity by 80 odd. I reckon the time where that comes again is in the very near future.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Whilst I don't know the players/age group results etc, I believe all rational thinking would agree with you - as I do.

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
There have been some rumblings over on the GPS thread about a proposed GPS Representative team, so after numerous "trials" I have put together a team based on form so far and previous knowledge of player skills. I have not seen all CAS teams play this year so school representation may seem a bit skewed.

I am yet to be convinced for the hooker position, haven't seen any standouts this year.

1. Wright (W)
2. ?
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Moretti (W)
5. Frost (K)
6. Cornish (W)
7. Stead (T)
8. Reimer (B)
9. Bell (W)
10. Donaldson (W)
11. Holingsworth-descent (T)
12. Woodcock (K)
13. Hardaker (W)
14. Lloyd (B)
15. Pavlakis (K)

Waverly (6), Knox (4), Trinity (2), Barker (2)

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Re Aaron's almost all-Knox team.
Lol. The Knox 14 would be peeved.

But from what I've read the Knox forwards and Waverley backs would be a decent team
(As would a similar Newington / Scots combination)
(Not that I am suggesting either would be selected or would be appropriate)

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
2017 CAS XV.

1. Dawson (Knox)
2. Adams (Knox)
3. Cutrone (Knox)
4. Frost (Knox)
5. Humphries (Knox)
6. Harvison (Knox)
7. Collins (Knox)
8. Garing (Knox)
9. Hansen (Knox)
10. Woodcock (Knox)
11. Leigh (Knox)
12. Cameron (Knox)
13. Myers (Knox)
14. Hardaker (Waverly)
15. Pavlakis (Knox)

This team is the best in nsw.

We're in strife if you're a selector...

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
2017 CAS XV.

1. Dawson (Knox)
2. Adams (Knox)
3. Cutrone (Knox)
4. Frost (Knox)
5. Humphries (Knox)
6. Harvison (Knox)
7. Collins (Knox)
8. Garing (Knox)
9. Hansen (Knox)
10. Woodcock (Knox)
11. Leigh (Knox)
12. Cameron (Knox)
13. Myers (Knox)
14. Hardaker (Waverly)
15. Pavlakis (Knox)

I'd have Hardaker on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
2017 CAS XV.

1. Dawson (Knox)
2. Adams (Knox)
3. Cutrone (Knox)
4. Frost (Knox)
5. Humphries (Knox)
6. Harvison (Knox)
7. Collins (Knox)
8. Garing (Knox)
9. Hansen (Knox)
10. Woodcock (Knox)
11. Leigh (Knox)
12. Cameron (Knox)
13. Myers (Knox)
14. Hardaker (Waverly)
15. Pavlakis (Knox)

Very funny Aaron.
If that is the CAS side then you are doomed in the match against the GPS team as 14 of these lads lost against Scots last week and Newington the week before.
Can't see anyone outside of the pack except Pavlakis making the CAS team.

Status
Not open for further replies.