• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Backline_Move

Having watches Waverley again for the first time in a while I would be surprised if they don't get more players in the representative teams than first expected.

CAS would be competitive if they had the following waves players in the 1sts and built the team around them.

3. Wright
6. Cornish
8. Moretti
10. Donaldson
11. Wallace
12. Hardaker

I believe most of those players will be in NSW contention as well.

The 1sts CAS will be

1. Dawson (K)
2. Wright (W)
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Humphries (K)
5. Frost (K)
6. Moretti (W)
7. Reimer (B)
8. Harvison/Collins (K)
9. Chambers (T)
10. Donaldson (W)
11. Hollingsworth-Dessent (T)
12. Woodcock (K)
13. Hardaker (W)
14. Lloyd (B)
15. Pavlakis (K)

The Knox forward pack has been consistently dominant against everyone even in losing. Dawson has to be there he has been outstanding every time he has played.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
The 1sts CAS will be

1. Dawson (K)
2. Wright (W)
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Humphries (K)
5. Frost (K)
6. Moretti (W)
7. Reimer (B)
8. Harvison/Collins (K)
9. Chambers (T)
10. Donaldson (W)
12. Woodcock (K)
13. Hardaker (W)
14. Lloyd (B)
15. Pavlakis (K)

The Knox forward pack has been consistently dominant against everyone even in losing. Dawson has to be there he has been outstanding every time he has played.

As a Scots supporter I was most impressed with the tall Knox 5 today.
I assume he is Frost.
He won all his lineouts and the quality and speed of possession he provides from the set piece will be invaluable to any side.
Straight into the hands of the scrum half every time.
He was pretty mobile too and had a good work rate.
An exciting prospect destined to play higher representative football.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^

Frost is a great player.

He has been an integral part of two Knox premiership winning teams and is going for his third this year.

Not just that, but he a great young man as well.

Very excited to see how he goes this year for higher honours.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
The 1sts CAS will be

1. Dawson (K)
2. Wright (W)
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Humphries (K)
5. Frost (K)
6. Moretti (W)
7. Reimer (B)
8. Harvison/Collins (K)
9. Chambers (T)
10. Donaldson (W)
12. Woodcock (K)
13. Hardaker (W)
14. Lloyd (B)
15. Pavlakis (K)

The Knox forward pack has been consistently dominant against everyone even in losing.

BM,

Love your passion BUT dead set you are so far removed from reality.

The Knox "juggernaut" as you have called it, has a way to go yet.
It will play Waverley in the very last game of the CAS season at
Waverley "Death Valley".

If you look at various people's reports from both sides, you will see that Waverley will dominate this CAS team.
Teams are chosen apparently before the final comp games.

Firstly, Finn Wright will play his normal prop position as he sees fit, the GPS supporters will support me. There are NO challengers to this game breaker.

Luca Moretti will play no. 8, he is a quite good!!!!!!!!!

Finn O'Suliivan and Joel Ellis have been absolutely superb/very smart players. Definitely deserve rep honors.

Will McCormick (prop) and Hunter Doyle (Hooker) are very much the real deal.

You are however VERY CLOSE in the backs, BEN DONALDSON (capt of the waves team) is an ABSOLUTE MUST for the CAS 1 team, , the boy, like his dad is a superstar. What MUST go with Ben is Marco Bell, his passing is second to none to Ben D. which puts the whole back line on the front foot, which becomes very hard to handle for the opposition.

Brooklyn Hardaker will be inside centre in whatever team he chooses, the best IC school boy, I have ever seen.

As long as politics, and who knows who, doesn't override these obvious choices, this is what it will look like, and they will seriously challenge an always very strong GPS ,CHS etc squad.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^ I have concerns over Marco Bells fitness. He needs to be a bit snappier to the breakdown.

Moretti, is a great player, but can easily play 2nd row, he adds a lot of grunt through the middle and that opens the door to the plethora of backrowers in the competition and fixes the gap of heavy second towers in the comp.

I would love to listen to the conversation between frost and Moretti as they pack a scrum.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
The 1sts CAS will be

1. Dawson (K)
2. Wright (W)
3. Cutrone (K)
4. Humphries (K)
5. Frost (K)
6. Moretti (W)
7. Reimer (B)
8. Harvison/Collins (K)
9. Chambers (T)
10. Donaldson (W)
12. Woodcock (K)
13. Hardaker (W)
14. Lloyd (B)
15. Pavlakis (K)

Based on previous years I think the team will be selected immediately following round 3 of the CAS comp. As much as I support the blue n black, I can't see 7 Knox and 4 Waves being the outcome here. Don't want to put the mockers on anyone, as all named above are very good players, but I think we need to recognise results to date and that Waves deserve stronger representation.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
I guess however if some of the discussion above is true we may have some rejigging of the draw.

Pavlakis was the only Knox back who looked dangerous today, but even then lacked the ability to close and lost the ball a few times.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Waves win 50 -28

Waves have now scored about 50 points on most GPS schools.

Riverview 67-12
Shore 66-14
Joeys 47-21
Newington 50- 28

I bet they wish they could play Kings again at full strength.

Fantastic result by Waves against a team I thought could test them. Whilst thinking they could win being at Death Valley, to score 50 against the structure and discipline New showed last week shows how good Waves must be this year. That they have apparently sorted some past behavioural issues and are playing as a well disciplined unit is terrific for CAS rugby (if not for the individual CAS teams they are to play against!). A real shame they are not playing Scots who I think may go closest to matching up across Waves forwards and backs. The Scots MIC of rugby today read out the results of the trials and saved "the most interesting" till last. Well done boys and - Respect.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I just have to say Scots were very grubby today. Gave away 3 yellow cards, should have been more.

Knox were far better than scoreline suggests. Hansen needs to improve his passing game as does woodcock his kicking/passing game to be competitive.
Scots had 3 in the bin at different times and they STILL won? Wow. Bit of work to do for Matt Williams.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can someone give a rundown on the aloys v cranbrook match up ?

I can’t do that but…

I saw the final quarter of Aloys/Brook yesterday and Brook put on a period of pretty good rugby where they scored 2 tries to make it 33-20 with about 5+ mins to go. On the attack again from the kick off (after the 2nd try) they had made a few breaks – lost the ball – and a try to Aloys before full time. This is NOT a claim they were robbed or that Aloys didn’t deserve to win, but thought I’d mention it with all the talk about Cranrook’s predicted poor season looming and opting out of matches!!??

I’m thinking round 1; W v A at QP and C v K at Horden, could well be big scores. A shame if so, but not the end of the CAS for anyone as I see it…please!

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I saw Cranbrook play in Brisbane just before Easter, and to be honest they looked incredibly ordinary.

I thought at the time that they were going to get some real beltings in the CAS comp, and that was before the strength of Waverley, Knox and Barker became apparent, so I can understand the school's safety concerns if true.

However we all know that, absent scholarships, school footy is cyclical so hopefully normal transmission will be resumed shortly for Cranbrook.

On that note, would it be fair to say that after this year it's highly unlikely that Waverley will be dominant, and perhaps not even competitive, against the best GPS schools for at least a few years? No disrespect to Waverley, but that would certainly have at least one fortunate by-product......

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
On that note, would it be fair to say that after this year it's highly unlikely that Waverley will be dominant, and perhaps not even competitive, against the best GPS schools for at least a few years? No disrespect to Waverley, but that would certainly have at least one fortunate by-product..[/quote

Really? Have you seen Waverleys results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not to mention their size. C'brook looked kilo's lighter per player compared to Aloys - so imagine the mismatch compared to Knox and Waverley! Certainly a tough CAS ahead for them. Longer term, no need for panic!

S

sidelineview

I saw Cranbrook play in Brisbane just before Easter, and to be honest they looked incredibly ordinary.

I thought at the time that they were going to get some real beltings in the CAS comp, and that was before the strength of Waverley, Knox and Barker became apparent, so I can understand the school's safety concerns if true.

However we all know that, absent scholarships, school footy is cyclical so hopefully normal transmission will be resumed shortly for Cranbrook.

On that note, would it be fair to say that after this year it's highly unlikely that Waverley will be dominant, and perhaps not even competitive, against the best GPS schools for at least a few years? No disrespect to Waverley, but that would certainly have at least one fortunate by-product..

Yes, it is unlikely.

They've managed to field exceptionally strong teams in 2 consecutive years but it doesnt look so good for the next few seasons

The 1st XV posted some good results in 2014/15 but without challenging for the Henry Plum Shield. They were strong in 2013.

This, in relation to being a permanent part of a strong GPS/CAS comp, brings up the question of how do schools maintain a high standard of teams/players.
This in turn brings up the topic of incentives/scholarships etc.

There is no mistake that historically (not for a very long time at least) Waverley have not actively recruited as opposed to some GPS schools.

They take what they get with enrollments and accept the cyclic nature of success from season to season.

Whether this culture changes to any degree in the future, possibly with the influence of the OLD Boys, remains to be seen.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Scots had 3 in the bin at different times and they STILL won? Wow. Bit of work to do for Matt Williams.
Definitely work to do but Scots defence was excellent. In the first half alone (where they had the yellow card issues) Scots repelled at least three attempts on their line that would have been tries with any other team I suspect. In the second half they shut down a couple of Knox breakouts.

At least two of the yellow cards were very close to being straight reds.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)

Yesterday was the first time I've seen Knox.
They have a capable set of large forwards but I think they've become over reliant on this being the way in which they win matches.
Works fine against weaker CAS teams but has been exposed by stronger GPS teams.
They lacked penetration in the backs and when their big forwards are knocked over and put down quickly they are left with few options for advancing up the field.
In the second half yesterday they kept trying to punch up the middle and after 3 or 4 minutes were 25 yards back from where they started.
I have no doubt they would benefit from playing GPS teams more regularly. It will encourage them to develop more depth and variety to their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.