• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chabal to play Subbies Rugby in Australia !

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
On the way!

Z5zua.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He seagulled well and scored under the post.

Balmain won 19-5 or 19-7 - didn't watch the conversion.

S

spooony

Warren Livingstone est l’homme qui a convaincu Sébastien Chabal de venir jouer un match de troisième division en Australie le 25 février. Président du club de Balmain, dans la banlieue de Sydney, il explique que c’est l’envie de découvrir le pays des kangourous qui a séduit l’ex-joueur du Racing.

Translated
Warren Livingstone is the man who convinced Sebastien Chabal to come and play a third division match in Australia on February 25. Club president Balmain, a suburb of Sydney, he explains that it is the desire to discover the land of kangaroos who seduced the former player of Racing.
http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/228181/livingstone-avec-chabal-on-ira-au-zoo/

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The pedant in me can't let this one slip...

Third division? It's 4th at least for Sydney, if you include SupeRugby:

1. SupeRugby (pro)
1a. Pacific Rugby Cup / A-team franchise games
2. Premiership (semi-pro) (with multiple grades - 3 + 2 colts is it?)
3. 1st Div Subbies (5 grades + colts, of which 2nd grade is supposedly similar to 1st grade 2nd div)
4. 2nd Div Subbies (4 grades + colts), of which Balmain and Petersham both just promoted from 3rd Div this year

So both were 5th division sides at best last year, becoming 3rd division this year - and both will probably finish mid to bottom of the table in 2nd div subbies anyway.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yes but in the context of Subbies it's 3rd division. Or was anyway. Technically second division now.

That, of course, does not refer to rugby overall, just Sydney subbies rugby.

You know that as well as anyone.

So I suggest the pedant in you takes it easy, or just buggers off altogether, because he's killing the vibe on here...

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The pedant in me can't let this one slip...

Third division? It's 4th at least for Sydney, if you include SupeRugby:

1. SupeRugby (pro)
1a. Pacific Rugby Cup / A-team franchise games
2. Premiership (semi-pro) (with multiple grades - 3 + 2 colts is it?)
3. 1st Div Subbies (5 grades + colts, of which 2nd grade is supposedly similar to 1st grade 2nd div)
4. 2nd Div Subbies (4 grades + colts), of which Balmain and Petersham both just promoted from 3rd Div this year

So both were 5th division sides at best last year, becoming 3rd division this year - and both will probably finish mid to bottom of the table in 2nd div subbies anyway.

That is probably right Ash. I'm sure there are ill-informed foreign journalists thinking Balmain is the equivalent of Premiership rugby.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes but in the context of Subbies it's 3rd division. Or was anyway. Technically second division now.

That, of course, does not refer to rugby overall, just Sydney subbies rugby.

You know that as well as anyone.

So I suggest the pedant in you takes it easy, or just buggers off altogether, because he's killing the vibe on here...

The pedant in me is here to stay! He's an old friend and companion.

My reaction was more about the comparison to French rugby, where they have the Top 14, and a second division under it with promotion and relegation. A Sydney person involved in Subbies rugby (like you and me) would be the only ones who would know it!

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was proudly showing my shirt around the office this morning and had to explain to people who S Chabal was and why he had signed a Balmain shirt and why I was so excited. I need to work with another bunch of people.... :( (Note: I have a new phone and don't know how to rotate the image.)

2012-02-26 21.00.11.jpg

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
I was proudly showing my shirt around the office this morning and had to explain to people who S Chabal was and why he had signed a Balmain shirt and why I was so excited. I need to work with another bunch of people.... :( (Note: I have a new phone and don't know how to rotate the image.)

View attachment 2031
I didnt even bother mentioning it in mine, few offices would get it these days I feel, its like we play an underground sport in this country sometimes

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is seriously weird. A French international player is paid to fly to Australia to make just one celebrity appearance in a Sydney game of very modest standard, and someone from South Africa posts a photo of the game .

Status
Not open for further replies.