1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs v Force Round 11 in Cowtown

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by ChargerWA, Apr 19, 2015.

1. ChargerWA Mark Loane (55)

This thread is for discussing this match only

The Rules
    Do not give scores for any other match from this round until 24 hours after the last game!
    Do not discuss other matches in detail.
    Good hearted banter is encouraged but trolling is not allowed.
    Be respectful to posters, players, coaches and match officials.
  2. ChargerWA Mark Loane (55)

Rightio, with the Wooden Spoon firmly in our grasp it's time to experiment and see what we have going forward.

I think Burton is the real deal and I also think he can be the long term 10 we need. Time to start developing his combo with Godwin for long term.

10. Burton
    12. Godwin
    13. Rasolea
    14. Scott
    15. DHP
  3. Mr Pilfer Chris McKivat (8)

I agree except I would prefer Brache at 13 or maybe even give Cummins a shot at 13 and see what he can actually do if he touches the ball.

Morahan on the other wing or even give the Japanese bloke a go. Nothing to lose now.

Wykes to the bench also.
    ChargerWA likes this.
  4. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I'd really like to see Burton and Godwin provided with different headbands.

I found it quite difficult telling the two apart at first glance when I watched the game on Saturday night.
    boyo and Lee Grant like this.
  5. Melchior Herbert Moran (7)

the chiefs to self destruct in front of their home fans and force pull off the upset of the season. force by 1.
    qwerty51 likes this.
  6. ChargerWA Mark Loane (55)

It's not completely outside the realms of possibility. The most frustrating thing about the Forces losses have been that they have played ok. I would even go as far to say as they played better than the opposition in general play in 3 of the games but failed to create the final piece of the puzzle. Scoring points.

Saying that, for that to happen the Chiefs would have to play badly and the Force to their full potential. But with Hodgo back, I'm guessing off the bench anything could happen.

But to have a chance we will need to shutdown SBW's offloading. So Godwin has to come into 12 and another big body at 13. Maybe honey badger? He's not so big, but he's ferocious. Also the loosies are gonna be busy so Mafi to 5, Cottrel to 6 and Alcock to 7 until Hodgo comes on. Wykes out of the 23 and Steenkamp to the bench lock spot. Pek Cowan (c).
  7. Melchior Herbert Moran (7)

don't think Alcock was named in the touring squad.
  8. Dan54 Andrew Slack (58)

Be interesting to see if Damian McKenzie starts at 10 for the Chiefs (and for rest of season) or will it be Horrell or Marty McKenzie?
  9. Brumby Jack Steve Williams (59)

Here's your answer

1. Mitchell Graham
    2. Hika Elliot
    3. Siate Tokolahi
    4. Matt Symons ©
    5. Brodie Retallick
    6. Johan Bardoul
    7. Sam Cane
    8. Michael Leitch
    9. Brad Weber
    10. Marty McKenzie
    11. Tim Nanai-Williams
    12. Sonny Bill Williams
    13. Charlie Ngatai
    14. Bryce Heem
    15. Tom Marshall
    16. Quentin MacDonald
    17. Pauliasi Manu
    18. Ben Tameifuna
    19. Michael Fitzgerald
    20. Liam Squire
    21. Augustine Pulu
    22. Damian McKenzie
    23. Andrew Horrell
  10. Dan54 Andrew Slack (58)

Interesting if that's how Rennie sees it for rest of season, or maybe a trial type game for Marty, got a couple of good options regardless.
  11. Hawko John Hipwell (52)

I don't understand how Damien McKenzie didn't take the 10 shirt. On his form in the first few games I wasn't sure Cruden would get his jumper back when he returned from injury. McKenzie was a star in those games (and for my fantasy team too).
  12. Lee Grant John Eales (66)

We shouldn't assume that Rennie is choosing his best team for the Force game.

Marty Mac was very good for Taranaki in the ITM Cup games I saw them play, and they got the bikkies.

He's not the rainmaker that Damian is and never will be but Rennie has to look at Marty as a starter sometime so why not against the team with the worst record in Super Rugby? Horrell or Damian Mac will maybe get a shot also, perhaps against the Rebels.

We may not know who Rennie really fancies as his best no. 10 until the Chiefs play the Hurricanes in Round 14.
    Dan54 likes this.
  13. Nipper Ward Prentice (10)

Does Burton have a background at 10 at the club/schools level?

Agree about the rest (and HB at 11). IF Rasolea can step up - he hasn't really done it this year. I'd also like to see Prior start at 9. I think Ably is great for this team, but he seems burnt out or something.

Sias isn't the guy to lead this team around the park. I don't know what's up with Zac Holmes - injured or just out of favor?

If Burton does have that background at 10, it's time to chuck caution to the wind and go with him. There's only one way to find out if he's the guy.
  14. Dan54 Andrew Slack (58)

I agree with Lee on Marty Mac for chiefs. I also think that maybe at 19 Damian may profit from not having to be starting 10 to often, and just give him time off bench where possible during season. Have seen a few 'stars of the future' at 10 over the seasons that have struggled after looking good in a few games, when the pressure has been applied week in week out. Anyone remember Simon Hickey for Blues last year, looks great for a while, but the continual pressure I think perhaps made him lose confidence.
  15. Moono74 Banned

Chiefs v Western Force

1. Pekahou Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tetera Faulkner
    4. Steve Mafi
    5. Adam Coleman
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Ian Prior
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Luke Burton
    13. Kyle Godwin
    14. Luke Morahan
    15. Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Chris Heiberg
    18. Oliver Hoskins
    19. Wilhelm Steenkamp
    20. Kane Koteka
    21. Ryan Louwrens
    22. Junior Rasolea
    23. Marcel Brache ​

Mitch Scott misses out on the wing again!
  16. ChargerWA Mark Loane (55)

Our best looking forward pack this year.

I haven't tipped the Force yet this year. But I will this week. The Chiefs have rested Messam, Lowe and Tamiefuna with Cruden out injured. That's disruspect!
  17. Moono74 Banned

I agree Charger. That the forward pack looks as good as it has this year and I hope they lift for Peks 100th cap. I wonder if Sias will play 80mins or if they will slide Burton or Godwin to 10 for a cameo?

Looks like Mitch Scott has been included in the touring squad just for a trip home. Don't understand what the issue is with giving him some game time. Do they think he is too small (175cm & 80kgs) for this level?

The only bonus I guess is I'm taking Friday off so will enjoy a few pints watching the game and the Brumbies v The Clan following. Oh and Monday is a holiday in WA..take that Eastern States yeeaah!!! :D
    Lee Grant likes this.
  18. wamberal David Codey (61)

How on earth could the Force have a chance, flying back from Africa to Auckland?

Absolutely ridiculous scheduling.
  19. GaffaCHinO Greg Davis (50)

We have been in perth the last 2 weeks.
  20. Moono74 Banned

Good day so far. Time for some rugby.Go Force!