• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs V Force - Round 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not too sure why Foley started Sheehan ahead of Mathewson, unless it a bit of rotation.
I am real impressed with the Force's attitude to game, by geez they get stuck in, make it bloody hard for opposition to get quick clean ball.

As an Australian rugby fan I've been really proud of the Force this year. Even though they lost some big names recently, they've consistently stuck it to much-favoured opposition. They're like the little team that could and even though they haven't turned many of the performances into wins, it seems like they're only ever a few mistakes away from knocking over the giants.

M

Moono75

wambpost: 480635 said:
No, mate, an old second rower. But I want to see the game survive, and I know that scrums are not really all that attractive to our target audience. Maybe the new rules will help a bit, I hope so.
If the target audience doesnt like scrums they should piss off and watch league.

M

Moono75

Not too sure why Foley started Sheehan ahead of Mathewson, unless it a bit of rotation.
I am real impressed with the Force's attitude to game, by geez they get stuck in, make it bloody hard for opposition to get quick clean ball.
Yeah we have the attitude..just need a few new personnel. Next year! Hope the Badger is sticking around.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I wonder if Alby Matthewson stole some money from Foley or something. Can't understand why he was on the bench.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Why did Ebersohn kick into touch just before full--time? Ball-in-hand would have made much more sense.

Dumb play.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Great effort from the boys. I think we played better and deserved to win. The first 30 min was mind blowing from the ref. anything we slightly did wrong he blew a penalty and hardly touched his whistle when the chiefs had the ball.

Can't believe he called not strait when we had a chance to win the game as well.

In regards to the scrum the force held the scrum up for a long period of time. I think if the scrum is all good and up for 10 seconds the ref should ask the attacking team to use it. Someone has to go down eventually. Use the ball should be bought into scrums.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Umm, that is part of the audience they are (or should be) targeting; people who watch rugby, already watch rugby, and, I dare say, don't mind a scrum. Of course the scrum is integral, but making it less of a cat-shag can't be a bad thing.
If a team hold there own as the force did for such a long time the team with the put in should have to use the ball.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If a team hold there own as the force did for such a long time the team with the put in should have to use the ball.
Like the ruck law where you must use it after 5 seconds? Maybe extend it to 10 seconds to appease the NH but that wouldn't be a terrible amendment to the laws.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
with morahan and holmes, you guys are going to be quite good next year.
just need a quality lock really.
godwin is money, the badger is fcukin awesome.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Is there a new set of rules the Chief's know and the Force don't? Like at every ruck and maul you can come in at any angle and get away with it. At the mauls the chiefs were obstructing players one or two metres from the ruck or maul. I lost times they joined the maul from the wrong side. But they got away with it. And apparently on the penalty count were the better disciplined side.

When the player of the Force got sin-binned - before the scrum had collapsed the at least one of the Chief's backrow had detached. And in a big way...Isn't that a penalty? Or is it better to penalize the non-kiwi side's scrum. Even if they may not be the collapsing side?

God, one would think it was a kiwi ref and the Force were the Lions back from 2005. Where according to some kiwi refs it was a penalty against the lions if their jersey was red!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Like the ruck law where you must use it after 5 seconds? Maybe extend it to 10 seconds to appease the NH but that wouldn't be a terrible amendment to the laws.
Well the contest in a couple of scrums was a stale mate and they should of used the ball.

Cyril Towers (30)
Interesting for me that the Force scrum looked better with Cowan at LHP and Faulkner at THP. Maybe Longbottom was buggered but he was clearly struggling. Faulkner is an under rated scrummager and Cowan has really come on this year. What has happened to Manu? I thought he was the next big thing?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
In spite of my earlier post I thought it was a good game to watch - both sides giving it a crack.

Does anyone know what has happened to the Chiefs? They seem to have gone off the boil. I tipped them to win going away. You almost thought they were about to lift and put the Force away with a couple of quick tries. But they couldn't do it. Last year and earlier this season the would have. Perhaps credit should be given to the Force for their defence.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ref was the most useless fluffybunny out there, closely followed by his assistants in crime.

The Chiefs no doubt had the wood on them in the scrum, but when Longbottom got sent off the assistant failed to note how the home side loose head lost his bind. Ref was standing on the wrong side of the scrum to make that call.

And the Force should have never been in that position after the first 30 minutes where they got pinged off the park.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In spite of my earlier post I thought it was a good game to watch - both sides giving it a crack.

Does anyone know what has happened to the Chiefs? They seem to have gone off the boil. I tipped them to win going away. You almost thought they were about to lift and put the Force away with a couple of quick tries. But they couldn't do it. Last year and earlier this season the would have. Perhaps credit should be given to the Force for their defence.

Yes their defence is good - a hallmark of Foley coaching 101.

Chiefs have injuries, and selections keep changing so combinations are hard to form.

Conditions last night didn't help

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Understand the logic, but don't agree. There have been some great examples of scrumming where teams have driven the other teams for 15-20 metres. It is rare, but it happens. One of the great things in rugby is it can be played so many ways. If the engagement can be cleaned up , this will hopefully clean up a lot of the current problems while still allow for teams to use dominant scrumming as a weapon. Looking forward to seeing the effect of the new laws which, to me, sound like they will put more emphasis back on superior technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.