• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This "penalty" is the same as that applied to the "early bloomer" who makes Aust Schoolboys and is parachuted into Colts 1 in their fisrt year out of school.

Given that the average kid only does 2 years in Colts (under 20's) (as an 18 turning 19 yo , and 19 turning 20 yo), this is an anti-poaching 6 point "penalty" for a late bloomer who goes straight into Colts 1 first year out of school and then does so well for that selected club that they become attractive to other clubs.

It kind of reinforces that the initial Colts registration is actually 2 year decision (for the rock stars - early or late blooming variety).

I'm thinking about the good player that is very unhappy about his particular chosen club. Could be the coach, the position he has to play, the expected training, lack of fun or just a bad culture at the club. The 6 pp penalty really prevents them from moving.

Yet if a player is coached, developed and mentored from age 6 to 18 by say Gordon, he can then go to Norths Colts unencumbered by any extra player points.

And if a certain club identifies an English rep or NZ rep rock star, it only costs them 4 pp.

There are no 'penalty' points in grade when a player changes clubs. So when an unhappy colt ends up with 2 more player points than an Oz schoolboy team mate, I think it is very harsh.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
If I was sitting on the bench - potentially missing a run in 3rds Colts I know what I'd be doing....

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
There are no 'penalty' points in grade when a player changes clubs.

I will acknowledge that it is not exactly the same but there is effectively a similar concept. If you move clubs, you don't get the loyalty discounts, which can be nothing or it could be the maximum points. This is particularly the case as many players will follow a pathway of a couple of years in colts and 1 or 2 in grade before reaching First Grade and thereby accrue some loyalty credits. An example would Tom Carter. He is worth 0 points to Uni but another club would have to use a number of points (used to be 16, not sure what it is now) if they recruited him.

Both systems are defined to discourage excessive club to club movements. I think previuosy there was a quota concept which was removed and replaced by this point system. There is enough room for 1 or 2 unhappy players to move to another club but not for half the team to go down the road to the next club.

B

BellyTwoBlues

here's a question for you all?

There used to be a rule that if a Colts aged player went up and played grade, he was not permitted back to Colts for the rest of the year. What are your thoughts on reintroducing this (or not)?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

There used to be a rule that if a Colts aged player went up and played grade, he was not permitted back to Colts for the rest of the year. What are your thoughts on reintroducing this (or not)?
A hybrid might be fairer to the colt - 3 games and no return; 2 consecutive games = no return

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)

On a serious note. Who is going to run the canteen this year? Bloody retirees... :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 2 results
1st Colts
Warringah 8 Northern Suburbs 25
Gordon 53 Penrith 8
Eastern Suburbs ? Southern Districts
Eastwood 7 Sydney University 50
Parramatta 27 Randwick 36
West Harbour 12 Manly 43

2nd Colts
Warringah 23 Northern Suburbs 29
Penrith - Bye
Eastern Suburbs ? Southern Districts ?
Eastwood 0 Sydney University 24
Parramatta 17 Randwick 25
West Harbour 17 Manly 46

3rd Colts
Warringah 0 Northern Suburbs 31
Eastern Suburbs ? Southern Districts ?
Eastwood 22 Sydney University 32
Parramatta 26 Randwick 20
West Harbour 7 Manly 14

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby...d/DrawsResults/1stGradeColtsDrawsResults.aspx

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Round 2 results
1st Colts
Warringah 8 Northern Suburbs 25
Gordon 53 Penrith 8
Eastern Suburbs 36 Southern Districts 21
Eastwood 7 Sydney University 50
Parramatta 27 Randwick 36
West Harbour 12 Manly 43

2nd Colts
Warringah 23 Northern Suburbs 29
Penrith - Bye
Eastern Suburbs 33 Southern Districts 26
Eastwood 0 Sydney University 24
Parramatta 17 Randwick 25
West Harbour 17 Manly 46

3rd Colts
Warringah 0 Northern Suburbs 31
Eastern Suburbs 27 Southern Districts 5
Eastwood 22 Sydney University 32
Parramatta 26 Randwick 20
West Harbour 7 Manly 14

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby...d/DrawsResults/1stGradeColtsDrawsResults.aspx

Easts get up off the bottom!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^I think WCR has made a misplaced post with reference to the Wicks vs 2 Blues game on ABC tele today. Seilala Lam had a reasonable game at 7 for the Wicks 1st Grade Shute Shield Team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lam? Can't say that's a familiar name.

What happened out in Rose bay with easts? Pretty impressive

Round 1 - Easts got belted by Norths. Norths have a rather impressive roster and programme in place. Hobbits played average against the Woodies, losing 2nd and 3rd grade.

Round 2 - Norths confirmed good form. Woodies showed some ticker in colts 3 vs the students, but didn't trouble the scoreboard attendent too much in 2's and 1's even though the surdents were apparently weakened with 1/2 their 1's unavailable due to U20 duties. Easts beat Hobbits in all three grades.

Conclusion: Easts were unlucky to come up against a hot Norths in round 1.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
^^^I think WCR has made a misplaced post with reference to the Wicks vs 2 Blues game on ABC tele today. Seilala Lam had a reasonable game at 7 for the Wicks 1st Grade Shute Shield Team.

I did. My bad. Thought I hit the Shute Shield link and didn't realise it was the Colts thread. Again, sorry guys.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Round 1 - Easts got belted by Norths. Norths have a rather impressive roster and programme in place. Hobbits played average against the Woodies, losing 2nd and 3rd grade.

Round 2 - Norths confirmed good form. Woodies showed some ticker in colts 3 vs the students, but didn't trouble the scoreboard attendent too much in 2's and 1's even though the surdents were apparently weakened with 1/2 their 1's unavailable due to U20 duties. Easts beat Hobbits in all three grades.

Conclusion: Easts were unlucky to come up against a hot Norths in round 1.
Souths had 3 forwards out with the Aust 20s and 2 forwards out on the CHS schools tour of NZ and 2 backs out from head knocks the previous week.
With 3 minutes to go it was a 5 point game and a forward pass call to south flying Fijian winger might have been the difference.
East end up kicking a penalty then an against the run of play try right on the bell blew out the scores
It was a pretty good game and both sides were up for the game
Easts were very methodical working through there phases and good ball control. Souths were lacking the go forward in the forwards to give there very good backs some space.
I wouldn't read to much into the score and certainly wouldn't write off Souths as a top 4 side.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
Souths had 3 forwards out with the Aust 20s and 2 forwards out on the CHS schools tour of NZ and 2 backs out from head knocks the previous week.
With 3 minutes to go it was a 5 point game and a forward pass call to south flying Fijian winger might have been the difference.
East end up kicking a penalty then an against the run of play try right on the bell blew out the scores
It was a pretty good game and both sides were up for the game
Easts were very methodical working through there phases and good ball control. Souths were lacking the go forward in the forwards to give there very good backs some space.
I wouldn't read to much into the score and certainly wouldn't write off Souths as a top 4 side.

I would have to agree with the above - T&F'd beat me to the keyboard regarding players undertaking other "duties" - so really not a good indication - look forward to the Forshaw rematch (where the wind will be more confusing).

There was some "amazing" random bouncing of the ball in favour of Easts leading to at least two tries - against the run of play - as mostly it was a physical gritty contest by both teams - personally I wouldn't plan a season on the bounce of the ball.

Congratulations to Southern Districts 2-nds in their comeback for 0-17 - certainly a work in progress - they didn't win - certainly showed they know they can.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Might be time to institute the G&GR Grass Roots BBQ Rating Thread.

There are some crackers out there, and unfortunately a few that should be served a "needs improvement" notice.

A well run BBQ is usually symptomatic of a well run club.

Status
Not open for further replies.