• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm only a supporter, from the outside Manly are doing alot of things right.
A good brand of rugby,
They are good with the supporter base,
Crowds are often strong,
Great day out for the kids,
They take interest in their junior clubs,
If doing things well attracts sponsors, partnerships, and players - well and good.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Any word on how the trials went today
I luv my footy - that is one aspect I'd love to see Manly improve on, I try to get to most games but the ones I miss updates take along time to filter through. The guys at Parra set a good example on this front.

Goldust

Bob McCowan (2)
Just to clear the air. I am a supporter of neither manly or warringah. I just happen to know that Matt and Karel have been given full scholarships to the International College of Management Sydney via manly colts. The degree costs $60,000 to normal students. I hear some manly players that study there aren't too happy that former rats have been given this privilege.
Pure fantasy. By this logic the St Hilliers scholarship at Randwick cost 50k per year and uni must be spending in excess of 6 Mil each year on colts. Fanciful. The reality is all players got offered more to go to the Rats than Manly (cash), ever stop to think ICMS is a sponsor of Manly? Perhaps they would rather be somewhere were they can reach their personal rugby goals than the Rats? Perhaps the 9 tries to 1 result with 8 regular first colts players out vindicates their decision not to play at the Rats? The fact that all grades won comfortably today and does every year help make their decision? Laughable.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Pure fantasy. By this logic the St Hilliers scholarship at Randwick cost 50k per year and uni must be spending in excess of 6 Mil each year on colts. Fanciful. The reality is all players got offered more to go to the Rats than Manly (cash), ever stop to think ICMS is a sponsor of Manly? Perhaps they would rather be somewhere were they can reach their personal rugby goals than the Rats? Perhaps the 9 tries to 1 result with 8 regular first colts players out vindicates their decision not to play at the Rats? The fact that all grades won comfortably today and does every year help make their decision? Laughable.
We'll put but I couldn't get down to either field this weekend - care to give a wrap up?

Goldust

Bob McCowan (2)
We'll put but I couldn't get down to either field this weekend - care to give a wrap up?
Manly won all games comfortably. The first grade game was willing but both teams have a stack to work on. Handling was poor, Manly forwards will be a handful this year with Fairbrother, Marakai, Ale, Sigg, Taione, Aholelei, Peterson, Gower, Reid et al in the mix.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly won all games comfortably. The first grade game was willing but both teams have a stack to work on. Handling was poor, Manly forwards will be a handful this year with Fairbrother, Marakai, Ale, Sigg, Taione, Aholelei, Peterson, Gower, Reid et al in the mix.
Cheers Matt, and throw in Neville as well.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Some more results from trials today.

Eastwood V's Easts at TG Milner.
Easts got up in 3rd grade and Eastwood convincingly won 2nd and 1st Grade.
Warm Day!!

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Any word on how the trials went today
I watched Uni v Wicks colts. The standard was at best average. Lots of cominations not quite working, ARU boys not playing, rotation of Randwick players through both games. Uni started with two solid XV's but it quickly went downhill from there. Uni won both games fairly well but not convincingly. Lots and lots of intercepts which showed both teams are using he games exactly what they were for. A trial

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Many missing from the Wicks?
How was their fitness compared to the students?
No Horwitz, no Baldwin, no O'Donohue. There were a couple of other lads missing as well. Both teams seemed to have lots of ortho wear fro the boys. Legs, feet, arms, shoulders and fingers taped and slinged. Some of the forwards are heading the right way as far as fitness went, but this was similar for Uni too. It was pretty warm on the top paddock. One young blokes fitness stood out though. He is a slight red headed lad for randwick who played pretty much both games. Not sure of who he is but just kept on going.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
j
No Horwitz, no Baldwin, no O'Donohue. There were a couple of other lads missing as well. Both teams seemed to have lots of ortho wear fro the boys. Legs, feet, arms, shoulders and fingers taped and slinged. Some of the forwards are heading the right way as far as fitness went, but this was similar for Uni too. It was pretty warm on the top paddock. One young blokes fitness stood out though. He is a slight red headed lad for randwick who played pretty much both games. Not sure of who he is but just kept on going.
Jack Johnson was also out on 20's duties

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I guess the above arguments presume somebody is paying $120,000 .

Like School Scholarships, the "full retail" cost is seldom the same as the marginal cost to the organisation that provides the services. If the College of Management is not providing the "sponsorship" in this case, then the "friend of the Colts" may have negotiated a special deal for the fees for these two lads that would be significantly less than that paid by the "full retail" price students.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Horwitz training & playing with Waratahs Junior Academy. It is said he'll go straight to grade for Randwick! Harry Boileau (ex Easts) apparently going to play grade as well!

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Like School Scholarships, the "full retail" cost is seldom the same as the marginal cost to the organisation that provides the services. If the College of Management is not providing the "sponsorship" in this case, then the "friend of the Colts" may have negotiated a special deal for the fees for these two lads that would be significantly less than that paid by the "full retail" price students.
My point exactly.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm only a supporter, from the outside Manly are doing alot of things right.
A good brand of rugby,
They are good with the supporter base,
Crowds are often strong,
Great day out for the kids,
They take interest in their junior clubs,
If doing things well attracts sponsors, partnerships, and players - well and good.
My point exactly

Manly Marlin

Frank Row (1)
My point exactly
The suggestion that Manly paid significant sums for the colts they have recruited in 2013 is way off the mark, but it makes a good yarn. The truth is in fact much simpler, the players believed in the excellent colts program run by coach Harvey, there was an opportunity to obtain a bursery from ICMS, an excellent local educational facility, and they could see the clear super rugby pathway developed by Manly over the past 2-3 years. Makes sense if the above is taken into account.
In fact the Rats were the ones offering bigger bucks to keep the players at the Rat park - but to no avail.
And the proof was in the eating - with approximately 8 Academy players unavailable, the Marlins won the three colts trials by about 17 tries to 2.
In times when club rugby is under attack, my external but closely associated overview is that the board at Manly are doing most things very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom