• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Manly were playing well in the early part of that game and then got steam rolled by Randwicks big forwards and lost the game fairly and squarley. They had earlier smashed randwick in the first round. Last year Manly looked to be a young side and with a years experience and maturity will be red hot. The season looks very open for mine - Sydney Uni frontrunners however appear to be less strong and the opposition catching up. Jack Farrer has relinquished his coaching role also so that may influence things.
Manly steam rolled Randwick in the first round with a score of 39 to 29 at Manly
Randwick win the semi final 36 to 20 yet that was a close loss by Manly
I hope Manly can do better

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone who has any knowledge re colts football , would know that using the results of a game from last season as an accurate predictor of the likely outcome of this years contest
is just letting their heart run away with their head.
There are trends in the competition most , but not all , years , & that's about as much as you can say.
From what I know , I would expect the 4 teams I mentioned above to be the strongest this year , but that is based on what I know of the personnel at each club which changes
with each club each year,not on what happened last year , but there are a number of variables which affect results.If you place a lot of emphasis on last years results you would have to place West Harbour ahead of
both Manly & Randwick , as they accounted for both clubs reasonably comfortably at the end of last season & finished 2nd on the ladder.However I don't believe they will make the top 6 this year.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Just back in Sydney from several years overseas - and alot to catch-up on....

Parramatta Club House is Gone!? and the Team seems to be steadily climbing out of a crater - nice to see the Club being able to fall back on its History and Tradition in times of real crisis... It will take me some time to catchup on events.

Upon arrival tho, I was confronted by a family member wearing a fairly uninspiring "Two Blues Rugby" Logo on their jumper - It looked like some advertising log from the Stanley Cup or a 10-Pin Bowling competition! but I am lead to believe that after 134 years of history, Sanity has reigned, and the Club has returned to a more traditional design? (I hope that is correct).

I can understand the Jumper changing (reluctantly) from time to time - but not the Crest.

I will be down on the Sidelines whenever I can get there, this year. Go the Blues.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Just back in Sydney from several years overseas - and alot to catch-up on..

Parramatta Club House is Gone!? and the Team seems to be steadily climbing out of a crater - nice to see the Club being able to fall back on its History and Tradition in times of real crisis. It will take me some time to catchup on events.

Upon arrival tho, I was confronted by a family member wearing a fairly uninspiring "Two Blues Rugby" Logo on their jumper - It looked like some advertising log from the Stanley Cup or a 10-Pin Bowling competition! but I am lead to believe that after 134 years of history, Sanity has reigned, and the Club has returned to a more traditional design? (I hope that is correct).

I can understand the Jumper changing (reluctantly) from time to time - but not the Crest.

I will be down on the Sidelines whenever I can get there, this year. Go the Blues.
Welcome home hw&c. Yes the old club went during the dark years when we were 'owned' by Parra Leagues. They dumped us and left us broke, sponsor less and virtually player less after an attempt to move to the Hills. 3 years later we've rebuilt withe the stoic assistance of our major sponsor and social home, Merrylands RSL. Firsts made the semis after 21 years and this year we will field 4 grade, 3 colts an a women's team. Find out everything and become a member at www.twobluesrugby.com.au. . By the way, the logo is the old 'Neville' crest with 1879, the founding year on it. Hope to see you at round 1 v Uni.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Thankyou - I don't want to re-start a discussion that clearly is now in the past, however 2 things caught my attention...

1. 'An attempt to move to the Hills'...
2. How did we become Owned by Parra Leagues? - I could be wrong, but I don't hink this was the case in the 80's.. back then the club seemed to run on the smell of an oily rag...

Finally, what is the Home Ground Now - is it still Granvcille Oval (and who owns that)?

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thankyou - I don't want to re-start a discussion that clearly is now in the past, however 2 things caught my attention.

1. 'An attempt to move to the Hills'.
2. How did we become Owned by Parra Leagues? - I could be wrong, but I don't hink this was the case in the 80's.. back then the club seemed to run on the smell of an oily rag.

Finally, what is the Home Ground Now - is it still Granvcille Oval (and who owns that)?
Long story, I'll message you so as not to bore everyone else on this thread.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Did anybody catch Sydney Uni Colts 1's play Vikings Colts in Bathurst last weekend? Standouts from either teams?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I think the best way to judge who will win on any given Saturday has to do with who had the least amount of players in the pub after midnight on the Friday night. That's how I knew how my colts team at one club was going to play that day.

Michael Hunt

Frank Row (1)
Trial match Manly v Warringah this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the undermanned rats go against the cashed up marlins. Will be even more interesting to be seeing the three lifetime rats Fabian Natoli, Matt Phillips and Karel Lloyd playing for the marlins. It's amazing where boys will go with a sniff of money.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Trial match Manly v Warringah this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the undermanned rats go against the cashed up marlins. Will be even more interesting to be seeing the three lifetime rats Fabian Natoli, Matt Phillips and Karel Lloyd playing for the marlins. It's amazing where boys will go with a sniff of money.
I've said it before on this thread, the paying of Colts is abhorrent and sends entirely the wrong message. Colts should play for the opportunities to grow, play with their mates and become imbued with the culture of the club. If you have to go buy a culture that's pretty sad.

Michael Hunt

Frank Row (1)
I've said it before on this thread, the paying of Colts is abhorrent and sends entirely the wrong message. Colts should play for the opportunities to grow, play with their mates and become imbued with the culture of the club. If you have to go buy a culture that's pretty sad.
Couldnt agree more!

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I'm sure most people would generally agree with these sentiments.Paying players is obviously something that clubs would prefer not to do, whether they are colts or senior players , if they didn't have to .
However , if just one club is offering inducements of one sort or another ,be it money or anything else , to schoolboys to go to that club , then it follows that a disproportionate
number of the best players will go there, to the disadvantage of the other clubs.
What to do ?
Even with most clubs consequently paying some of their colts money ,(some clubs more than others ) in an endeavour to maintain parity , the results of the colts competition can be said to have been pretty predictable
for a number of years & there is no reason to think this situation is likely to change , because the circumstances that produce this inequality are not likely to change in the foreseeable future.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Evidence would be nice. Apparently sounds as if you have none. If you're talking of a centre then you are way off the mark.I'd like to Watch maybe you can be more specific because some of us actually know some of the current admin such as James Forsythe who is the current GM.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Evidence would be nice. Apparently sounds as if you have none. If you're talking of a centre then you are way off the mark.I'd like to Watch maybe you can be more specific because some of us actually know some of the current admin such as James Forsythe who is the current GM.
I agree - with respect put up or shut up Michael Hunt and I like to watch. Manly which is in the black unlike the Rats is one of the best run clubs in Shute Shield - a lot of sour grapes it seems . Does it occur to some of the above scribes that better opportunities - read good coaching and the opportunity to play in a quality side might also be reasons to be with the Marlins who have had 3 year programme of investing in colts which is paying dividends

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's not a centre, but I will withdraw my comment.
I agree that criticisms should be on specifics,not generalisations.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So your saying Manly has in effect paid two colts $60000 each to play for them. Don't worry about colts players being ticked off everyone should be - if it was true. Makes me laugh how people "know" these things

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I think you need to check your source. Guys in first grade don't make even a fraction of that so I would have to say that it is fiction. Remember people like to exaggerate about what incentives they receive to make themselves sound more important. I was getting offers from everywhere but I decided on Team A as opposed to the other 5 clubs. Reality usually is the player was chased by no-one. $60 000 a player is unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.