• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If they are real Saffers,you buy the meat and they will braai it for you.

I'm in Sydney and they are coming from North West Western Australia, so it would likely be difficult to do that. Don't think the hotel would be appreciative of a braai on their rooftop either.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The original one is at Manly, they have since expanded with a few more locations. North Ryde &Homebush Bay are ones I know about

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'm in Sydney and they are coming from North West Western Australia, so it would likely be difficult to do that. Don't think the hotel would be appreciative of a braai on their rooftop either.
Oh thougt you say they are Saffers. Dont you have public braai places in Sydney?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I assume that park BBQs are so useless for health & safety reasons? All they do is warm the meat through until everything is grey.

Australia is a proud BBQing nation, but it's ironic (or something) that our traditional BBQ is so shit. I reckon Weber have done more for Australia than Weary Dunlop, Don Bradman and Phar Lap combined.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ribs & Rump?
It is modelled on steakhouses in SA and was started by some expats.
Meat from a dozen breeds of cattle with a dozen different cuts and a dozen varieties of beer
The one in Manly has all the rugby memorabilia, such as this:

x2_56df4d8

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I assume that park BBQs are so useless for health & safety reasons? All they do is warm the meat through until everything is grey.

Australia is a proud BBQing nation, but it's ironic (or something) that our traditional BBQ is so shit. I reckon Weber have done more for Australia than Weary Dunlop, Don Bradman and Phar Lap combined.
Lane Cove National Park has wood BBQ grills, BYO wood.

Several pubs have cook your own steak on awesome gas BBQs, best is Phillips Foote in the rocks (and they've got three sheets).
Others include The Oaks in Neutral Bay and the Great Northern in Chatswood

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Several pubs have cook your own steak on awesome gas BBQs, best is Phillips Foote in the rocks (and they've got three sheets).

Also the Doncaster in Kensington, for those closer to the East.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lane Cove National Park has wood BBQ grills, BYO wood.

I hadn't realised three sheets was available away from the lord nelson until a week ago when i had it at the three weeds (rozelle). I could definitely go one right now, anyone aware of any other places that have it??

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
My usual sunday braai, lamb leg and loin choppies, half a lamb rib, bit of boere wors and chicken wings.

Before

nearly done

I use that curl one on the braaibak to turm the meat over.

ScepticalScotty

Stan Wickham (3)
Mate that looks GREAT. Now for my BBQ history; unfortunately my father was a cook in the Australian Army in the 1950s so he overcooked the shit out of everything! We had hundreds of barbies when I was a kid and the only thing I liked was the snags because even my old man could not destroy them.....(though he did introduce me to BBQ pineapple...nice...)

Then in 1991 a mate of mine introduced me to proper cooking of steak - not overcooking it! I fell in love with steak. The big turning point though came AFTER I moved to the UK in 2000 and met my wife Jill in 2003. We bought a £10 grill from Tescos and so loved the results with steak and sausages, that a year later we bought a Webber and I have been a Webbermaniac ever since. At the same time she got me Steven Raichlens "BBQ Bible". Look it up - the mans a genius; what a great idea for a book travel the world sampling babrbeque from many different countries, collect the best recipes (he ALWAYS gives credit top man!) and put them in a BBQ compendium.

I'll BBQ/grill any time of the year, though Christmas Day and New Years Eve are always pretty memorable, especially if its snowing (rare). Ive done whole duck, chicken, gammon, leg of lamb, pheasant breasts, probably 50 different types of sausage, a whole salmon, bread, cheese, etc etc....

I am slightly hampered in the fact my wife cannot eat chilli - so that rules out jerk :-| But we try lots of stuff. Though the summer months I probably BBQ at least once a week sometimes twice if I can get home from work early enough.

all the best,

Scotty

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Here's a tip from Ross Dobson's book Fired Up. Use baking paper around such things as fish, chops, chicken - basically everything except steak and sausages. The Weber cook book says to use a roasting trivet on these things, but I prefer to get them on the grill plate, with baking paper to protect them slightly.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Fuck me Paarl - how many did that feed?
Family of 5, Mrs dont eat much red meat (she likes her goat (salad) food but me and the kids love our meat. Our Boer culture is to make provision for left overs and nothing beats a cold braai choppie/ribbetjie/worsie.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Mate that looks GREAT. Now for my BBQ history; unfortunately my father was a cook in the Australian Army in the 1950s so he overcooked the shit out of everything! We had hundreds of barbies when I was a kid and the only thing I liked was the snags because even my old man could not destroy them.....(though he did introduce me to BBQ pineapple...nice...)

Then in 1991 a mate of mine introduced me to proper cooking of steak - not overcooking it! I fell in love with steak. The big turning point though came AFTER I moved to the UK in 2000 and met my wife Jill in 2003. We bought a £10 grill from Tescos and so loved the results with steak and sausages, that a year later we bought a Webber and I have been a Webbermaniac ever since. At the same time she got me Steven Raichlens "BBQ Bible". Look it up - the mans a genius; what a great idea for a book travel the world sampling babrbeque from many different countries, collect the best recipes (he ALWAYS gives credit top man!) and put them in a BBQ compendium.

I'll BBQ/grill any time of the year, though Christmas Day and New Years Eve are always pretty memorable, especially if its snowing (rare). Ive done whole duck, chicken, gammon, leg of lamb, pheasant breasts, probably 50 different types of sausage, a whole salmon, bread, cheese, etc etc....

I am slightly hampered in the fact my wife cannot eat chilli - so that rules out jerk :-| But we try lots of stuff. Though the summer months I probably BBQ at least once a week sometimes twice if I can get home from work early enough.

all the best,

Scotty
Nice story. Me and my Mrs both love making food. She chase me from the kitchen, dirt to many pots and pans for her liking and demoted to making salads or slicing potatoes and carrots. Usually our quality time in the kitchen, kids are allergic for kitchen work and give us time on our own.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nice story. Me and my Mrs both love making food. She chase me from the kitchen, dirt to many pots and pans for her liking and demoted to making salads or slicing potatoes and carrots. Usually our quality time in the kitchen, kids are allergic for kitchen work and give us time on our own.

Hope you got a lock on the kitchen door... :D

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)

all the best,

Scotty

Just ordered the book from Amazon...good value, many thanks for the tip...

Also just got a proper Weber for the first time this month, had used a gas Weber Q whilst in Oz, so it's a new experience using charcoal and another learning curve for me!

And speaking of wives and chillies, my second one loves it hot, the hotter the better!

Will try the greaseproof paper tip, thanks...:thumb

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Family of 5, Mrs dont eat much red meat (she likes her goat (salad) food but me and the kids love our meat. Our Boer culture is to make provision for left overs and nothing beats a cold braai choppie/ribbetjie/worsie.

Cold braaied boerewors is the food of the gods; almost as good as cold roast potatoes.