• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

ScepticalScotty

Stan Wickham (3)
And to continue - for my birthday yesterday I got a smoker box for the Webber + 3 different types of wood chip, plus 2 marinades...looks like a hint to me! Glad you like the book Nusadan - its just brilliant IMHO.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Summer is coming and time to relive this thread.

After WP and Bokke wins on fri/saturday it ask for a T Bone

BraaiTB1.jpg

BraaiTB2.jpg

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Damnit Paarl, I just had dinner, now I'm hungry again. Looks good, what's the marinade?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
By the way its R150 value on the grill, paid R49 per kilo for them. Whole fillet is going at R85 per kilo. No Steakhouse can feed a family of 4 compare to this.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
you're getting a nice price for your beef there oom. we don't get those prices in cape town.

i like to go with jimmy's sauce myself, and so does bandise...
Ja the store where I buy my meat also advertise Jimmys. You should be friends with your butcher Boet. Its my first friend when I get to a new town. I usually buy whole lamb neck. Ma roast them in the oven like leg of lamb. They never know it that way and is always a surprise for them walking out of the butcher with four lamb necks in a plastic bag. If they give me enough discount I usually give them a roast cold one. Best road food you get, cold lamb neck with sandwiches and cooked eggs.

N

nicobinho

For me the best way to cook meat is for sure with some charcoal and some barbecue sauce. :D

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
With the Bok loss I decided this morning its time to do the bloody chicken run with rooster koeke on my spitter. Was an excellent idea.

braai1.jpg

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Rooster koeke? Is that legal?

The kids love rooster koeke, directly translate is grill cakes. I buy wet white bread dough at my nearest shop. Mrs make them smallies balls like a meat ball and press them flat and myself do them on very slow coals. They only need to rise first and when you are near finish with your meat , you give them more coals to colour them in. I love them with plain genuine butter , cheese and and apricot jam. When i really want to put in an effort I'll melt butter in the braai bak (in the photo) and fry cut onions in the braai bak and put it in half cutted rooster koeke. Not to good for cholestroll but then like usual those are always great food.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Ahh, I see. Funny, I'm just about to something similar. But more like a indian or middle eastern bread. Just flour, yeast, water, put a fairly dry mix into the pan and 2 minutes a side later, you got fantatsic smoky flatbread.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Decided yesterday after the All Blacks won the WC , I just have to braai a huge pork leg chop to celebrate they havent choked like in the past. Paarl was a buss with all thecars hooting to celebrate their win and I made sure I dont choke in my braai meat.

Braai1-1.jpg

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PB, glad to see you catering for the vegeterians by cooking a bit of chicken with the meat.
Got a few chicken runners in the family Boet.:fishing Nah my weak point is a pan fried chicken mayo sandwich on sunday night to get that veggies in the body. :thumb

R

Ralto

Heat deflector........... I love it, next he'll be using "...moving forward"

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Decided yesterday after the All Blacks won the WC , I just have to braai a huge pork leg chop to celebrate they havent choked like in the past. Paarl was a buss with all thecars hooting to celebrate their win and I made sure I dont choke in my braai meat.

Braai1-1.jpg

We have friends moving to Cape Town in the next couple of years which we will go visit. I will defo be hooking up for a PB Braai mate!

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
OK. I said WOOD. Because the poll asked how SHOULD meat be cooked OUTDOORS. I don’t consider that to be a question about how I actually cook meat in my backyard. I do that on a gas BBQ. I don’t consider the confines of a residential block of land, whether covered by a roofed structure or not, to be “outdoors”. A really big park or reserve somewhere outside a metropolitan area where there are large trees and no nearby café’s barely makes it under the wire for “outdoors”.

When you’re OUTDOORS, big slabs of MEAT should, of course be cooked by burning WOOD. Wood that was harvested from the surrounding and adjacent bits of the OUTDOORS and which will impart all of the OUTDOORS-ish flavour of the region in which the MEAT is to be consumed, and from which it should preferably have been tracked, hunted and killed.

Using charcoal or those bags of cooking coals is cheating and so is Gas, but at least it’s clean and convenient.