• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooper boxing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Well that was highly underwhelming. I'd hate to think anyone actually paid the 40 bucks wanting to see Quade fight, because they'd be pretty disappointed with 2 minutes 59 seconds of Quade going back into the ropes and then his opponent inexplicably not defending himself for a moment when Quade nailed him with a couple of big punches.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Unfortunately for Reds fans he's going to want to do more now.

On the plus side he didn't get injured and he's very fit.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
He did say afterwards that he can't wait for his next fight, if the ARU has their way it might not be until December/next January.

Ring announcer called SBW 'Sonny Boy Williams', obviously a fan of the sunny boy iceblocks...

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Glad Quade won and all, but if we are brutally honest he looked terrible. Against a quality opponent that knockout punch would have landed Quade in hospital.

I'm not hating as it took a huge effort just to actually get in the ring and do all the work, but I hope all the 'yes' people don't over sell his performance. Back to the rugby field.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
God damn that boy is quick.

Plenty of power too. Technique is a worry though, he didn't even bother to defend himself, just relied on having quick feet.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
agree with ChargerWA, fast, and good feet. Hands down was a ploy I'd expect (hope) to draw the shorter reach of Dunnett.

I was impressed with Cooper's power in his jabs and right cross. Also his good read of the fight. No combinations, unsurprising at that level, especially when both sides are throwing heavy shots, but it will be his reflexes and timing in combinations that make him dangerous in the future. He badly needs to get his chin in, a true boxer with decent combos and timing will make mincemeat of him if he keeps that up.

Dunnett was an awful example of a kickboxer who hasn't made the transition to boxing. Out of condition too.

Overall a very good first fight by Cooper but still very raw.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I was impressed with Cooper's power in his jabs and right cross. Also his good read of the fight. No combinations, unsurprising at that level,
Ath, I think you are over analysing the ''fight''.
We have both seen drunks at the end of the night with better technique than whoever he was.
Let's see this for what it is, a circus act.
They found an old fat guy with no experience to act as cannon fodder for the ''champ''
He was supposed to be a no risk proposition, who had no chance of hurting the boy,but he almost did.
I am sure they sold plenty on main event, so mission accomplished.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Come off it ILTW. It was a fight. It really seems that your disdain for all things Cooper related knows no bounds.

It was an undercard bout, it wasn't the main event. What were you expecting? Did you want it to go for longer? I've seen plenty of main event fights between big name boxers end quicker.

It was Quade's first fight and Barry's third (boxing) fight. But it was still a fight. They both got in the ring, one nearly got KO'd and the other one did.

So get over it and give credit where credit is due.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sorry, did you think anything that occurred that night had any merit?
I'm surprised Quade didn't rush out and bash Botha with a chair,when his Bro was in trouble,WWE style.
At least with the WWE they all turn up fit at least.
I'm not bashing Quade,I am only challenging the view that this ''fight'' had any merit.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
No you're not. You're Quade bashing. Same old same old.
But if you want to discuss this fight's merit then are we discussing it in relation to all other boxing bouts or the more hyperbolic jelly wrestling contests or drunken pub brawls you mentioned earlier or WWF fights as well?
Would you prefer that Quade had his first fight with at least 20 fights experience? Was it a mis-match? Was it fixed? What's your basis for saying the fight had no merit?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Would you prefer that Quade had his first fight with at least 20 fights experience? Was it a mis-match? Was it fixed? What's your basis for saying the fight had no merit?
Who was his opponent?He has a full time job,who last fought in 2010.In his previous two fights he weighed in more than 20 pounds lighter than he did against Quade. He clearly spent the last 2 1/2 years eating donuts instead of training.
It is not possible to find a softer target.
I have seen many amateur boxers with much better technique than these two.
It's not just QC (Quade Cooper) that I am critical of. SBW is no better, he keeps on fighting guys his Dads age.
The "Man" perfected the art of finding opponents who couldn't hurt him, but would still attract the cash from the more gullible of us.I could write a book about some of the debacles he has been involved in.
Unfortunately boxing is now a joke in this country,these types of exhibitions do nothing to improve it's image.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So apart from Quade being fitter than his opponent you've got nothing really? Of course there are going to be amateur boxers with better technique but the shitloads of people who paid to see these two fight don't want to see amateur boxers with better technique. And if they paid their money expecting to see something other than what they did then they are the joke, not boxing. Boxing has been like this for decades. Your beef is clearly that they were famous before they boxed which takes nothing from the apparent 'merit' of the fight. You saw what you were always going to see.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't think either of you will change the other's mind, so probably no need o keep arguing the same points. Maybe just move on?

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Sorry, did you think anything that occurred that night had any merit?
I'm surprised Quade didn't rush out and bash Botha with a chair,when his Bro was in trouble,WWE style.
At least with the WWE they all turn up fit at least.
I'm not bashing Quade,I am only challenging the view that this ''fight'' had any merit.

Quade doing a run-in during SBW's fight would've been highly entertaining, maybe they could give that a go next time.

QC (Quade Cooper)'s opponent had no business being anywhere near a boxing ring with an elite athlete.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
...And if they paid their money expecting to see something other than what they did then they are the joke, not boxing.
good call, I agree with this bit.As to the rest I will go with cyclo's suggestion and agree to disagree.....as I seem to do with you on most things Quade related.

Status
Not open for further replies.