• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooper boxing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
It seems some are upset that their QC (Quade Cooper) glass jaw theory didn't pan out so they have to ridicule the merit of his opposition. Fact is Dunnett has three times the experience in the boxing ring to Cooper & is still an athlete in the sport of kick boxing...... hardly the donut eating fatty that has been alluded to.
I guess for some the hating on QC (Quade Cooper) has become an obsession.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It seems some are upset that their QC (Quade Cooper) glass jaw theory didn't pan out so they have to ridicule the merit of his opposition. Fact is Dunnett has three times the experience in the boxing ring to Cooper & is still an athlete in the sport of kick boxing.. hardly the donut eating fatty that has been alluded to.
Indeed, like we need another Quade hate-fest.
Although technically, the jury is still out on his jaw being crafted from molten silicon, as I haven't heard any credible reports that the other guy got near it!!
Personally, I'm not a fan of boxing in general, although respecting the fitness, skill and so on of the protagonists, nor am I a big fan of top level rugby players adding a potential injury source. But he did it, he won, and I guess it's all he can do.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I'm also not a real fan of pugilism Cyclo & don't really know the intricacies of the sport. But from the highlights reel I saw posted it looked like Dunnett got a couple of good hits on Cooper early in the round and the rookie regained his composure enough to come back & knock him out. I doubt many saw that coming, especially since a lot seem to think Cooper is soft & shies away from contact.
Whether or not any of us think it's the right thing for him to be doing, it's his life & his career, he's tried something different & beat what was put up in front of him. Good for him, I hope he can concentrate on the Rugby now & have the best season of his life. He's looking fit enough!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It seems some are upset that their QC (Quade Cooper) glass jaw theory didn't pan out so they have to ridicule the merit of his opposition. Fact is Dunnett has three times the experience in the boxing ring to Cooper & is still an athlete in the sport of kick boxing.. hardly the donut eating fatty that has been alluded to.
Not every thing he does is worthy of adulation.This is an example.They found a patsie that he could beat up as an easy introduction to boxing.
The guy is 32 years old whose total experience was 2 fights within 1 week over 2 years ago,when he was 20 pound lighter.One of the fights he did not last the first round.
Dunnett is an athlete in boxing like Marto and Kearnsy are analysts of Rugby.
I'm not bagging QC (Quade Cooper), just trying to put the adulation into some perspective.Unfortunately Boxing is a joke these days.SBW shortening his fight is just another example of the depths the "sport" has been reduced to.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Frankly I love the stitch ups, the intrigue and the nefarious characters of boxing. They are part of our sporting and cultural heritage.

I think ILTW is channelling a former president's views in 1910, when he commented on corruption in boxing and ' pay for view' rip-offs.

Two weeks after the match former President Theodore Rooosevelt, an avid boxer and fan, wrote an article for The Outlook in which he supported banning not just moving pictures of boxing matches, but a complete ban on all prize fights in America. He cited the "crookedness" and gambling that surrounded such contests and that moving pictures have "introduced a new method of money getting and of demoralization."

The only great surprise of the other night was that they seemed to have overlooked organising Botha to take a dive. Or maybe that was scheduled for the 11th round.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'd say Dunnett's biggest weakness is his fortitude based on that. As for Cooper and my earlier reference to hoping his low hands were a ploy to draw his shorter reach oppsn, judging by the short training segments he hasn't learnt any other way. Nor does he keep his chin in, I stand by my remarks about his power reflexes and footwork, but I also stand by the comment that if he fights a real boxer like that he stands a very good chance of a broken jaw.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Indeed, like we need another Quade hate-fest.

And I missed it!

But well done Kwade for getting in there - boxing might be a completely fucked arena of corruption and filth, but he still did the job.

Even if the definition of "job" equates to knocking down a bloke who wouldn't trouble some of the girls in my local dojo. Clearly the status and reputation of boxing was upheld for the entire card

And even if, once again, Kwade is being hidden on defence and won't commit his body to contact, as clearly demonstrated in Canberra on the weekend.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
And I missed it!

But well done Kwade for getting in there - boxing might be a completely fucked arena of corruption and filth, is the toughest test of bravery,known to man,but and,he still did the job.

Even if the definition of "job" equates to knocking down a bloke who wouldn't trouble some of the girls in my local dojo. is undoubtedly one of the most dangerous men in the free world.Clearly the status and reputation of boxing was upheld for the entire card

And even if, once again, Kwade is being hidden on defence and won't commit his body to contact,unselfishly maximising his worth to the team,with his counter attack from fullback, as clearly demonstrated in Canberra on the weekend.
Just some editing suggestions to save you from a barrage from team Quade.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oh yeah - the banjo brigade from up north? Not scared. They can piss away every argument they've got about Kwade and they'll still be wrong.

ARU paid a high price for those governance changes, then let QLD diddle them out of the money for a top-up just for jolly. Doesn't change the fact that Cooper and Nasser (edit) have been acting in such a way that they are perceived as cocks.

L'lifano for Wallaby flyhalf. I say that as a Tahs fan

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
And just on the 'hiding' Quade in defence thing, have a look at his stats on the weekend. Attempted 4 tackles and made all of them. That's one more than his opposite number To'omua and only 2 less than Pocock. They mustn't have hidden him very well. Just sayin.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tackle stats in rugby are bullshit. Never seen any sort of consistency in how it's defined. I watched every minute, some of them twice, and don't remember him pulling off a single one-on-one tackle. Made a good strip, assisted once or twice, but wasn't the first man in and bounced out of at least two of those.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Haha! I can see now why us banjo brigade can piss away every argument we've got about Quade and still be wrong! Coz Pfitzy says its all bullshit! Yep, no worries. Got it now. Haha! Astounding!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Scoey, can you just explain to the doubters why Quade is not hiding,when the fullback is in the front line defending where the 10 should be (Harris 12 tackles to Quades either 4 or 6 attempts?)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No, it's because, despite all the evidence to the contrary, over a prolonged period of time, Queenslanders still think Quade is the answer for the Wallabies.

So answer me this: was he, during any set piece, defending in the fly half channel?

Edit: snap! Got me watch...

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Be careful here people.

Whilst your debate has bordered on the civil so far and we love robust debate, if it gets personal about a player or a forum member you will be having a rest.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll respond to the easy bit first. I don't necessarily think QC (Quade Cooper) is the answer to the Wallabies. They should pick the 10 that is in best form and will be able to get the back line firing, whoever that is at the time.

The other part is the use of the word hiding. It's generally used as a derogatory term and its a cheap shot. He had serious defensive issues a few seasons ago but has made big improvements in this area.
He defends at 15 off set piece, that's no secret. But it's also no secret that this decision is taken to maximise his effectiveness on counter attack. In 2011 over 80% of the Reds tries came from attacking raids that started in their own half (Yes this is a stat I read and no I can't find it now) largely due to us having out most potent attacker defending at 15.
My point is that saying Quade shies away from contact and missed most of his tackles was an accurate statement years ago but is incorrect now. But still the "doubters" see what they want to anyway and make claims that he's being 'hidden' in defence.
My point using the stats I thought was clear. How can he be "hidden" in defence if he makes almost the same amount of tackles as Pocock and more than the Brumbies 10? Gill made over double the tackles that Pocock did so were they hiding Pocock in defence? Of course not, they simply had a different job for him as they do for Cooper.

Status
Not open for further replies.