• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Helsinki. It's -5 or so and snowing lightly. My hotel overlooks töölönlahti with a view of the city skyline. I'm a wimp and I raid the hotel club lounge for a few bottles of the Hartwell Aura lagers. Undistinguished, probably not something I'd go out of my way to find tomorrow but if I don't find something more interesting, I'll have no problem in raiding the hotel club lounge tomorrow for some more.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Tried the Wiehenstephaner Festbier last night. Apparently their version of an Oktoberfest beer. Looking at beer advocate it isn't really rated in that style of beer, but as the first one I have tried I really enjoyed it. In this heat you could drink it all day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^
Act quickly if you intend to vote for the hottest 100 for 2013.

Voting closes 16/1/2014 11:30pm

There is a fairly comprehensive range of craft beers to vote for on the list.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thirsty on Australia Day?

Get along to one of these venues to celebrate (and taste/toast) the release of the Hottest 100 Aussie Craft Beers list for 2013 (as voted by us).

VICTORIA
The Local Taphouse St Kilda
East Of Everything
The Alehouse Project
The Park Hotel
Oscar’s Alehouse
Beer Deluxe

NSW
The Local Taphouse Darlo
Union Hotel Newtown
Grain Store
Camperdown Cellars

Queensland
The Scratch
Bitter Suite
Brewski

WA
Sail & Anchor

TAS
Tattersalls Beer & Food Hall

More here:
http://craftypint.com/events/event/hottest-100-craft-beers-of-2013-parties/

Voting closes tonight.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
35 degrees here today and Murray's Rude Boy Pilsner is a bloody cracker.

http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/our_beers/our_beers_detail.php?RudeBoy-Pilsner-2

Murrays_Rudeboy.jpg

This beer was a real hit with some female friends who were over recently. They are not generally beer drinkers but really loved the crisp taste of this Pils, and emptied the beer fridge of stock.

Unfortunately it is tricky to get hold of from the bottlo. I have had to order further supplies direct from the Murrays Brewing Web site.

@Gagger, any chance of McLaren Vale releasing a Pils?

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
This beer was a real hit with some female friends who were over recently. They are not generally beer drinkers but really loved the crisp taste of this Pils, and emptied the beer fridge of stock.

Unfortunately it is tricky to get hold of from the bottlo. I have had to order further supplies direct from the Murrays Brewing Web site.

Murrays are starting to get this into more and more Woolworths owned bottleshops. Should be at a BWS or Dan Murphys, it is at my local one

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

They do have a lager, not sure that it's a pils though

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Not sure if Coopers makes it into the craft brew thread, but one of my local suppliers gave me a Coopers mild ale yesterday arvo to try. They have moved to it as the after work beer as it is only 3.5%. Pretty typical Coopers style ale. First 3/4's of the beer is nice, but the last 1/4 leaves a lot to be desired. Too much turbid shit in the bottom of the bottles.

Not bad for a mid, but certainly no LC Rogers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ I reckon LC Rogers is a very under rated beer. A bloody good all year round beer for all occasions. If you are not after an ice cold lager, a crisp pilsener, a Hops taste bud assault from a IPA, or a creamy smooth Stout, then Rogers is a great all purpose beer.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
This was pretty good with Mexican. I had a shot of Espalon byequila with this too.
6a6esu6u.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Doing some "research" recently, I stumbled on Beer Advocate website via my friend, Uncle Google. http://beeradvocate.com/

Anyone from here on there as a member or have some comment to make about it?

Seems a fairly decent website, with some tragic and passionate Beer Snobs posting their thoughts.

Follow on Question: What are the best Craft Beer Websites?

Crafty Pint seems fairly good and Aussie focused. http://craftypint.com/

I'm on untappd.com as https://untappd.com/user/HughJ

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Went to a wedding last night. The beer choice was Two Brothers Taxi pilsner and the Feral brewery hop hog, we also managed to sneak a few hours in at the Belgian beer cafe in between the ceremony and reception. Needless to say I'm paying today.

The Taxi pilsner was great on a hot humid night. The Hop Hog was actually quite hard going, way too rich to drink lots of on a hot day. The Chimay white and Leffe blonde at the cafe were as good as remembered. But the find of the night was the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale on tap. Like drinking a glass of fruit, on a hot day it was perfect.