• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Australia v. India v. Sri Lanka 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The surprise in the team is that Hilfenhaus is possibly back. Not sure I agree with it, I still have memories of him and Siddle bowling long hops and half volleys to the english most of last summer. An interesting comment from Michael Clarke this morning saying that they were looking to play an extra batter or the alrounder Christian and, if played, Christian would bat at six. Suggests there will be reshuffling of the batting order and it may yet be one of Ponting or Hussey who miss out.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
The surprise in the team is that Hilfenhaus is possibly back. Not sure I agree with it, I still have memories of him and Siddle bowling long hops and half volleys to the english most of last summer. An interesting comment from Michael Clarke this morning saying that they were looking to play an extra batter or the alrounder Christian and, if played, Christian would bat at six. Suggests there will be reshuffling of the batting order and it may yet be one of Ponting or Hussey who miss out.

Christian will only play if Marsh is still injured...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Either Ponting or Hussey must go.
1. Warner
2. Cowan
3. Marsh
4. Clarke
5. Ponting/Hussey
6. Christian
7. Haddin
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Lyon

12. Starc

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I reckon with Marsh clearly fit (currently 85* in the Big Bash), the lineup is all but decided:

Cowan
Warner
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Hilfehaus/Starc
Lyon

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Except that Cummins is injured and therefore not in the squad.

But if you are talking hypotheticals, then it is pretty close to what I'd like, but I'd be dropping Hadding for Paine, if Paine was fit.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Currently watching the 1st test. Absolutetly disgusting dismissals of Hussey & Cowan, neither of them hit the ball with bat or glove. DRS should be used, I couldnt care less what team it helps out or hinders but its been pretty damn obvious today that it should be in use now. Cowan I thought did very well, my only gripe with him would be his running between the wickets, bit sluggish.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
whats wrong with the DRS is that the touring team has thee write to vetoe the use of it in the series..............the Indians are blatant cheats. They appeal for absolutely everything and the hyprocrisy of the decision to not allow the use of it is a disgrace. The Board of Control voted for its use at ICC level, yet the team repeatedly refuse to allow its use.

RyanP

Bob McCowan (2)
I though the game went ok, the tail end is doing a good job of salvaging the run count. The introduction of the DRS is looking somewhat like the implementation of computer aides in tennis, however it is now an established aide to officials and players in all major events. Hopefully this game is the catalyst for the ICC to tell the Indian Cricket Board to wake up and support the technology. They appear to be the only hurdle to introducing it to all high level test matches.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
whats wrong with the DRS is that the touring team has thee write to vetoe the use of it in the series..............the Indians are blatant cheats. They appeal for absolutely everything and the hyprocrisy of the decision to not allow the use of it is a disgrace. The Board of Control voted for its use at ICC level, yet the team repeatedly refuse to allow its use.

Hussey deserved to be given out for that "shot" - what was he trying to do?....Cowan unlucky.
Why would Cricket australia agree to let the cheats tour if they weren't prepared to be scrutinised by DRS - I think there's an argument that our players have become less careful because they know they've (usually) got a review and so we're going to suffer more than them without DRS 'cos they just veto it wherever they go.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Currently watching the 1st test. Absolutetly disgusting dismissals of Hussey & Cowan, neither of them hit the ball with bat or glove. DRS should be used, I couldnt care less what team it helps out or hinders but its been pretty damn obvious today that it should be in use now. Cowan I thought did very well, my only gripe with him would be his running between the wickets, bit sluggish.

The indians are in for a dose of their own medicine and it might takean event as drastic and heartbreaking as tendulkar being wrongfully dismissed on 95 for them to come around. If it happens I am sure many in the cricketing world will have a wide smile on their faces after todays events.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently the Indians believe, and they are not on their own, that the DRS technology is not 100% accurate. I think the main issue being the lbw decisions and the proposed flight of the ball.

On the Cowan decision, Brad Haddin , who was up the non-strikers end, also believed it was out as he 'heard a noise'.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Apparently the Indians believe, and they are not on their own, that the DRS technology is not 100% accurate. I think the main issue being the lbw decisions and the proposed flight of the ball.

On the Cowan decision, Brad Haddin , who was up the non-strikers end, also believed it was out as he 'heard a noise'.

Nothing is 100% accurate - whatever the DRS's accuracy it is more accurate than a human being - in the long run. Healey & Chappell seem to be of the view that the referral should be taken out of the players' hands and be a matter for the umpire - presumably if they think its line ball. not sure how that would work but it would remove the unsavoury tactical element. Chappell also suggested that the Indians may have been victims of its inaccuracy in Sri Lanka in their first series using the technology - hence they're reluctance to use it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

On first viewing the Cowan one looked out. I would have given it. The hussey one was clearly not out and I believe the umpire got talked into it by the Indians. If he really thought hussey had hit it he would have put his finger up straight away, however he only did so after the extended appeal.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Nothing is 100% accurate - whatever the DRS's accuracy it is more accurate than a human being - in the long run. Healey & Chappell seem to be of the view that the referral should be taken out of the players' hands and be a matter for the umpire - presumably if they think its line ball. not sure how that would work but it would remove the unsavoury tactical element. Chappell also suggested that the Indians may have been victims of its inaccuracy in Sri Lanka in their first series using the technology - hence they're reluctance to use it.

The issue with giving the decision to the umpires is if they decide not to review one they believe is clear cut and it turns out the decision was incorrect then there would be huge controversy. You would end up with a lot more decisions referred than now or a lot more controversy.

The system at the moment is working well. It often shows the umpires are correct and the players are wrong.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tendulkar gets cheered by Indians and Australians alike in the crowd. Ponting gets booed by Indians in the crowd - and most of them likely live in oz. Great sports that they are.

Had me hoping Sachin would go for a duck, more likely he'll get 100 now at the rate they are going.

I had a big laugh when they interviewed some members of the 'swarmy army' - they had some great aussie accents.:D

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Umpires use the technology to overturn dravids dismissal but hussey gets gunned with no technology able to be used. The decisions aren't evening out for oz at the moment.

Pattinson looks to be a star in the making. When cummins is back our bowling line up will look very good. Just need Watson back to even it out.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Apparently the Indians believe...the DRS technology is not 100% accurate. I think the main issue being the LBW decisions and the proposed flight of the ball.

The Indian cricket team were miffed at a few decisions which went against them in their recent series against England, especially LBWs. But the major difference between the English and Australian broadcasts is the Pommy TV took some 25 frames per second while Channel 9's technology allows them up to 90 frames per second. There's no doubt the Australian TV broadcasters (ie. Channel 9) have been the leaders in the technological progress of cricket broadcasts.

If the English/Australian technical broadcast differences were known to the BCCI and the Indian cricket team there's no justifiable reason why they shouldn't've agreed to use it. Other than sheer bloodymindedness, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.