• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That evening session was always going to be super tough to play. Given we hadn't been in the field that long I think enforcing the follow on was the right move.

I'd be very surprised if England had done better and weren't 4 or 5 down and still 150+ behind.

We now desperately need to get through at least a session and a half today so we get to bowl at them under lights with a relatively new ball tonight.

If we get rolled in the first session and England make a good start they might get to the evening session with settled batsmen against an old ball and then would be a real chance of winning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That evening session was always going to be super tough to play. Given we hadn't been in the field that long I think enforcing the follow on was the right move.

I'd be very surprised if England had done better and weren't 4 or 5 down and still 150+ behind.

We now desperately need to get through at least a session and a half today so we get to bowl at them under lights with a relatively new ball tonight.

If we get rolled in the first session and England make a good start they might get to the evening session with settled batsmen against an old ball and then would be a real chance of winning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Short term hurt for long term gain. England will be chasing 400 odd on the fourth evening and the fifth day. With a ball that is basically a tennis ball wrapped in electric tape, a deteriorating pitch and potentially two sessions under lights. They have no chance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Short term hurt for long term gain. England will be chasing 400 odd on the fourth evening and the fifth day. With a ball that is basically a tennis ball wrapped in electric tape, a deteriorating pitch and potentially two sessions under lights. They have no chance.

If we add another hundred I won't be at all concerned. I really think England need to wrap things up in the next 20 or 30 runs to be a chance based on timing. They need the ball to be 30+ overs old for the evening session for it to be far less threatening. That said, I think Lyon will pose real problems in the fourth innings, particularly to the left handers (of which he dismissed all of them in the first dig).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It looks like we are only going to post a lead of about 330-340, which is chase-able. Still wouldn't bet against us.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The wicket of Malan late was crucial for Australia.

We've still got our noses in front but England well and truly has a sniff. The first hour today will be critical. If Australia can take a couple of wickets, in particular Root, we will be well on our way to victory.

We definitely need to bowl better this morning. Starc in particular bowled too many four balls last night.

Chances have to be taken. Smith and Bancroft both dropped tough chances last night and it could be those opportunities that decide the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Our pace bowling at the England tail in the first innings was woeful and contributed to the smaller lead than was expected. hence the decision not to enforce the follow on. Had England been rolled for 50 - 60 fewer runs, the follow on would probably have been enforced. Then the Aus batting has been far from impressive, even in the first innings. Too slow and laboured. Out of character. Smith looked completely out of sorts in the second dig. His back foot was moving way too far outside the off stump, and his front foot wasn't moving at all. Looked like he was playing 20/20, not an Ashes test match. His attitude in that innings left a lot to be desired.

I also wonder if Smith has the smarts of a good captain in his field placings and support for his bowlers. Cook didn't do much this test, but he has a penchant for hitting the ball through the mid wicket area even from slightly outside the off stump. He only had one or two fielders out there to deal with for most of the time he was at the crease. Surely his favourite shot should be defended with a strong field on the leg side and force him to alter his approach to open up more possibilities of false shots. Generally, Smith's field placings aren't as attacking as they might be when Aus is on top.

Some real questions also about the batting skills of some of the newer players in the side. Bancroft looks to be quite restricted in his shot making and is likely to be found out quite quickly by test match bowlers. Hanscombe seems to have changed his batting technique to copy Smith's action of moving into position before the ball is delivered. I like the way Smith does this as his eye apparently is second to none, but Hanscombe just looks like one ball away from a LBW decision against him.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Oh and of course the selectors need to shoot the team in the foot and select Mitch Marsh over Glen Maxwell

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I can't criticise the selectors, considering the Marsh/Paine partnership was arguably the most important of the series so far.......

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
England just don't seem to be able to play in these conditions and I expect us to win the series easily but I'm not opposed to changing the team up if some of our batsmen continue not to perform. Handscombe, for example, seems to be struggling technically at the moment and I wouldn't be against sending him back to shield if he can't score in Perth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The concept of bringing in Marsh though who has the worst batting average of anyone batting in the top 6 in test history of anyone who has played more 20 tests is just mind boggling.

Mitch Marsh wouldn't be in my top 10 players to pick if I was going to replace Handscomb.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't mind the idea of picking an all-rounder in principle, though.

The strain on our four bowlers will begin to show in Perth, so a fifth option could be very useful. Not sure Marsh is that option, though.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Considering he's barely bowled because of a shoulder injury!

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
After two tests our bowlers have bowled the following number of overs:

Starc 28 + 16 + 20 + 19 = 83
Hazlewood 23 + 16 + 16 + 20 = 75
Cummins 30 + 13 + 16 + 20 = 79
Lyon 36 + 24 + 24 + 25 = 109

A couple of shorter innings have certainly helped the cause there.

That's a pretty good place to be in after two tests in my opinion and I wouldn't think we need another bowler in Perth to ease the workload. I think the problem with that 5th bowler is that the only time they bowl more than a handful of overs is if you're getting smashed.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
So NZ is, apparently, ranked ahead of you lot in the test rankings despite never actually playing test cricket. I can only assume, then, that this is a cunning NZC plan to rise up the rankings by never playing anyone and, thus, never being able to lose points.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ as of today NZ has played 33 Tests in the current rankings cycle, only Sri Lanka, England & India have played 40+ so not sure that "never playing anyone and, thus, never being able to lose points" is a fair assessment of where our red (& occasionally pink) ball game is at right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.