• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Bancroft is a good selection, just not as opener.

There was a wide open spot at 6 and they could have picked him there on the back of tremendous form. It would have made complete sense.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Can't understand why they have selected Marsh. He has never performed on the international stage. Secretly happy with Paine although it is from left field. He was, until his injuries, the best keeper in Australia. Hope he has a cracker and can hold his position for a few years to come. Bancroft for Renshaw is understandable but I feel for Renshaw. May have been better to put Bancroft to 6 and leave Renshaw to open. Time will tell. I am a little concerned about our Bowling. Who is going to bowl to relieve the quicks? Warner, Smith who? GOAT could be bowl a lot of overs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Renshaw's fielding in close to the bat will also be missed. Or am I thinking of Hanscombe being in the short leg spot so often?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Renshaw's fielding in close to the bat will also be missed. Or am I thinking of Hanscombe being in the short leg spot so often?

Handscombe. Renshaw is usually at first slip and moves well for a big man. Marsh is pretty lacklustre anywhere in the field in my opinion so definitely think we will miss Renshaw one way or another.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Don't think I could stand losing the Ashes after the Wallabies loss at Twickenham. Really hope Starc and co. can tear the stumps of the likes of Joe Root out of the ground.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Maxwell in as cover for Warner who hurt his neck during training yesterday. Apparently Warner is "confident he will be right," whatever that means. If Warner is out does that mean Marsh opens up with Bancroft and Maxwell to 6? Can't imagine Maxwell opening the batting.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Maxwell in as cover for Warner who hurt his neck during training yesterday. Apparently Warner is "confident he will be right," whatever that means. If Warner is out does that mean Marsh opens up with Bancroft and Maxwell to 6? Can't imagine Maxwell opening the batting.

More importantly, how is Maxwell in any way cover for Warner? If you want to cover your opener bring in a fucking opener.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Apparently one other (Sean Marsh?) is also in doubt.

Yes Shaun Marsh now in doubt as well. Have to agree with Sully I can see Maxwell as cover for Marsh at 6 but surely Renshaw should be cover for Warner. I'm a bit concerned we're taking this stuff about wanting to be aggressive and put the Poms on the back foot a little too far. Prefer to have a solid Langer type opener than someone as unpredictable as Maxwell.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Cook gone already. Big wicket, as someone on Twitter said "England only have two batsmen, one of them is out."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cook gone already. Big wicket, as someone on Twitter said "England only have two batsmen, one of them is out."

They've fought back pretty well from there. We certainly need to jag another wicket. Cook is clearly a key player for them but his Ashes record is poor. I think his overall Ashes average is under 30 and they've won a couple of those series.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
They've fought back pretty well from there. We certainly need to jag another wicket. Cook is clearly a key player for them but his Ashes record is poor. I think his overall Ashes average is under 30 and they've won a couple of those series.

I'm hearing the pitch is a bit soft and it is a good time to bat, definitely need a couple more.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Probably sitting about level after the first day, a few quick wickets tomorrow morning will turn the match in our favour though. The good news for us is that we dismissed Cook and Root early. I thought Lyon did a good job on getting on top of Root actually which bodes well for the rest of the series.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Trouble, Bancroft and Khawaja both dismissed early. Looks like we'll be relying on Smith and Warner to dig us out of another hole. We do bat deep though.

Status
Not open for further replies.