• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2019-2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Revenge happening over at the Mount in Eng vs NZ. NZ closing in on 600 runs and England look completely broken. Archer's been bowled off his feet (was having a kip during the drinks break) and Broad looks completely disinterested. Even if it goes on to be a draw the psychological pain of a 240 odd run 7th wicket partnership will have crushed English spirits for the remainder of the tour.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
What a difference top order runs make.

Solid performance, still some issues to sort out, one of which cannot be fixed until next year but I'm happy to see this same side next test.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Revenge happening over at the Mount in Eng vs NZ. NZ closing in on 600 runs and England look completely broken. Archer's been bowled off his feet (was having a kip during the drinks break) and Broad looks completely disinterested. Even if it goes on to be a draw the psychological pain of a 240 odd run 7th wicket partnership will have crushed English spirits for the remainder of the tour.

At 127/4 chasing 353 & Latham, Taylor & Williamson gone I really thought we were in deep shit. Then de Grandhomme played probably his most Test-like innings ever, Watling dug in like he always seems to when we're in that position & Santner finally showed he can bat (was originally an opener & part-time spinner through the age grades). Thought England made a huge error in not bowling Archer at Nicholls first thing yesterday after sconing him late on Day 3 & generally under-bowling Stokes who troubled just about everyone.

Interesting that Watlng, having batted for 11 hours, not only didn't take the gloves for the first hour of England's second dig, but was actually allowed a sub: as Atherton pointed out, they wouldn't do it for a batsman so how come that was allowed? Also took the gloves immediately after coming on whereas a bowler would've had to field for an hour before being allowed to bowl. Coupla anomalies that probably need to be addressed esp as most 'keepers bat in the top half of the order these days.

Free entry to Bay Oval today & a big crowd building up already.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Root gooooooone! England 69/4 albeit one of those was a night watchman. Blood in the water, just a nick ATM but another before lunch & they're in real trouble.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No further loss, Boult off the field with a rib issue & won't return. Unless Southee & Wagner can get amongst it with the new ball, available in 12 overs, a draw looks inevitable.

EDIT: then Stokes plays on to a ball he could've & obviously should've left alone. England 121/5 & the door re-opens ever so slightly. Pope the new batsman which surprises me, in the circumstances I thought you'd want Buttler out there instead of a kid playing his third Test match.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ's Sethfrickens* combine to get rid of Denly, 132/6. Great review as it just barely brushed his glove as he was getting his bat out of the way. New ball still five overs away.

* c Watling b Wagner

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pope smashes a Wagner pie straight to Santner who takes a stunner, 133/7. It's well on now.

1574649722933.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ review an lbw, Santner the bowler who has over-stepped! That's criminal for a spinner. Doesn't make it to ball tracking but I suspect if it did it was missing a third leg stump.

On the subject of reviews, England had to review an lbw that the batsman clearly hit. Ump had a good think about before raising the finger, too.

EDIT: another lbw review, on-field not out so even though it's clipping leg stump half way up it stays not out. Ball starting to keep very low now, I can see someone getting a guzunder soon.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Archer holes out off Wagner who now has 4/44. England 197/9 & only The Sulk left.

LBW first ball! England review it, of course.

Full toss hitting middle, I'd say. Didn't hit him outside Leg so he's fucked.

Ball tracker says hitting middle & off.

NZ win by an innings & who gives a shit how many (65 it turns out). What a shame this series doesn't count towards the WTC (we don't get to play SA, either), that would almost make up for CWC Final.

Watling surely MOTM but a case could be made for Santner, probably needed to take at least a couple more wickets though. Bizarrely he's never taken more than three in a Test or First Class innings - even the part-timer Williamson has a Test four-for.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Good to see NZ and Aus warming themselves up with a bit of minnow bashing for the real showdown beginning in December. Interestingly, each of the three test matches in the last week (Ind vs Ban, Aus vs Pak, NZ vs Eng) all resulted in an innings victory to the home side. Nice to see the Poms capitulate for under 200 when they spent the latter part of the NZ innings complaining that the Kookaburra didn't move enough.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll put up the wicket highlights when available. Buttler's is about as bad as it gets: foot to the pitch of the ball to the point not it almost landed on his foot, then shoulders arms as if it's a foot outside off rather than a few inches. Madness.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Carnage at Adelaide. Marnus and Davey ton up again. With Marnus performing so well after adopting some of Smith's technical attributes will other batsmen and young players follow suit? Perhaps Smith has changed batting.

Also, I see over in Hamilton Tom Latham has his 5th century in 10 innings. We can't afford to stray onto his pads when NZ comes over.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ we've currently got six guys (Latham, Williamson, Taylor, Nicholls, Watling & de Grandhomme) averaging 40+ which is comfortably the most we've ever had at one time (& the most of any current Test XI).

Unfortunately our other opener Raval is in a terrible run of form atm & there's really no-one else you could throw in to open at the WACA in two weeks time. I fully expect Kane to be coming in very, very early.