• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You need a Marnus. You don’t need 2 but you need 1.

Bit of a strange one in circumstance of how Smith got concussed in the Ashes which gave Marnus a chance.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What an absolute flogging. Scorecard looks funny with Young getting a first ball duck and then the other two get 152 & 123 not out with strike rates above 125.

Could get NZ for $10 before the tournament. Not bad for the Runners up at the last and a country that are short form specials. I might be wrong but I feel like NZ play overseas pretty well in comparison to us and even SA. Think their home conditions are more variable.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ could be smokeys for this world cup.

Last hurrah for KaneW, Boult, Southee & one or two others & it'll be at least a while before we see a group to equal them. IMO it's a cycle too far, if we were gunna win it 2019 was our year & it so nearly was but for some poor officiating.

Could get NZ for $10 before the tournament. Not bad for the Runners up at the last...

... & the one before, no matter how hard I try to expunge BMac's first ball duck from the memory banks...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Without the tail we get 149...

Watching that felt like an old stale team.

Always going to be tough having the first game v India at home. South Africa next who are quickly becoming a Short Form nation and putting 428 on the board. They also let Sri Lanka get to 326 from 44 overs so if we bowl well I feel like we'll win.

amazingadelaide

Bob McCowan (2)
Without the tail we get 149...

Watching that felt like an old stale team.

Always going to be tough having the first game v India at home. South Africa next who are quickly becoming a Short Form nation and putting 428 on the board. They also let Sri Lanka get to 326 from 44 overs so if we bowl well I feel like we'll win.

Tbh I’m not sure I’d back green in for the next match - only provided 2 overs with no real venom or threat and a fairly soft dismissal as well. In saying that I don’t suspect the pitch against the SAFAS to be as spin friendly as it was for India.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Thought he may have been an option to Open the batting. Had some success in the IPL doing it...

Otherwise I'd be looking at Abbott. He's a wicket taker and offers some hitting although streaky.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Our team is full of old test stars. ODIs are basically extended T20s these days and we have the players to field a competitive side, but not this world cup.

I really hope we see some revitalisation over the next 12 months. Feels like Aus cricket hasn't changed substantively since Lehman was coach. Other than less yelling in the pavilion.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Nothing wrong with a bit of yelling. Time & place...

We've had X factor players when we have won WCs. Ricky was a walking run machine, Gilly obviously but then think of Shaun Tait in the West Indies, Starc in the home WC.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I reckon Smith and Labuschagne are too similar. They are basically as conservative a player as you can possibly carry in a ODI these days. Even Carey would be considered an anchor player in most of the top teams.

I honestly don't want to start up the Warner discussion again but he's past it in tests and even more past it in short form IMO.

That's four guys in the top six who I think a modern team could carry two of at most. England and NZ have shown the way in white ball and that is to have fire-power basically the whole way through, bar a Root or Williamson to solely hold things down.

On Indian decks we are going to need ball strikers and without Stoinis we only have Marsh and Maxwell. Even Stoinis and Marsh are not extravagant by today's standards. Green showed a bit of that stuff in the IPL so I'd keep him but not as an all rounder.

Anyway as I am a typical aus cricket fan I couldn't care less about world cups away from home unless we win. Just want to see some imagination.