• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Netherlands beating SA keeps everyone alive. Could have been really bad if not for a few late order runs for SA.

India & NZ last undefeated sides. India v Bangladesh and NZ v Afghanistan as their next opponents. If they get the wins they'll be fine and through.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I just don't think that Smith or Labuschagne are white ball players. At the pinnacle of the format they seem to have no weapons. Quite astounding the difference between Smith's test and ODI record.
Yeah I have no idea what Loosebuschange is doing there. I think you can carry one of them. But both?

Also guys like Maxwell and Stoinis are playing like turd.

Also not really convinced by our pace attack. What happened to guys like Richardson?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Think Starc just has that unplayable ball.

Hazlewood can bowl with a bit more aggression than Starc. Starc loses control when he starts getting personal.

Really hope Jhye Richardson can get some consistency in the body because he offers such a different style at genuine pace.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They're a massive chance to go home here, the Poms. I've been really enjoying the Barmy Army's FB page trying to talk it up ("we're a really good white ball team..").

At least they'll win the moral world cup.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
So the IPL has just been named the 2nd biggest earner for media rights in the world when looked at by a per game basis.

1. NFL: 17m per game
2. IPL: 15.1 per game

It's pretty incredible for a sport with basically zero North American/South American presence to be so high.

Obviously NBA, MLB, EPL all play a lot games.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
pretty incredible for a sport with basically zero North American/South American presence
How much non-Indian presence does it have overall?

I'd think not much (... I've heard of IPL but never watched it ...)

None of that matters, though, if there are a billion pairs of eyeballs at home.

Having said that, there is a South Asian diaspora in North America and I reckon IPL would be getting some pay there.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That's why it surprised me because I see some highlights but I have not watched a full game of since it's first season.

Maybe it's ignorance on my part of how much even India value it but it's a hell of a lot of money. No wonder it got into the Olympics for LA when it isn't even a sport the locals will know which tends to be how the new sports get in.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
So the IPL has just been named the 2nd biggest earner for media rights in the world when looked at by a per game basis.

1. NFL: 17m per game
2. IPL: 15.1 per game

It's pretty incredible for a sport with basically zero North American/South American presence to be so high.

Obviously NBA, MLB, EPL all play a lot games.
Given this, I've always wondered why they aren't paid more. The salaries are astronomical obviously but in comparison to the NFL they are actually minuscule.

I'm queasy about dudes who are good at bat and ball games getting paid the equivalent of a small country's GDP but on the other hand someone is making this money (the owners) regardless and so it may as well be shared more equally with the actual service providers.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's India.

Is there a greater have and have nots nation in the world?

You're right though. The Indian players certainly earn eye watering money. A lot from endorsements. Kohli made 31m just from endorsements in a year.

IPL Salary cap 17.9m AUD, BBL 3m AUD...

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
It's India.

Is there a greater have and have nots nation in the world?

You're right though. The Indian players certainly earn eye watering money. A lot from endorsements. Kohli made 31m just from endorsements in a year.

IPL Salary cap 17.9m AUD, BBL 3m AUD...
For the amount of money the owners are making they certainly put on a shit show. The broadcast is amateur hour, it's impossible to get tickets unless you're connected, even harder to get to and into the ground without being beaten if you aren't a VIP. Compare that to the NFL which is somewhat more egalitarian in player salaries where the broadcast rivals Martin Scorsese's best work every week.

Top Bottom