• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This is poor batting. Getting squared up by a guy in the mid 120km/h....

Good captaincy with the field though.

Seems you won't get a flow on this pitch. Either be willing to leave everything or attack.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I haven't watched a ball of this game so far, other than the highlights. The scores would seems to indicate that this track isn't the easiest to bat on - is that the case? Or have we thrown our wickets away? Or has the Windies bowling massively stepped up from last summer?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I haven't watched a ball of this game so far, other than the highlights. The scores would seems to indicate that this track isn't the easiest to bat on - is that the case? Or have we thrown our wickets away? Or has the Windies bowling massively stepped up from last summer?
Pitch is fine. Maybe a little two-paced, with the odd puff of dust.

Smith and Marnus were terrible shots. So was Waj - wide and full, never needed a shot played.

Otherwise it is just good bowling at the stumps i.e. the thing we totally forget to do against any tail

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
real talk: are batters forwards and bowlers backs?

And which cricket players would go well in rugby?

I know Harry Wilson goes well with bat in hand.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
real talk: are batters forwards and bowlers backs?

And which cricket players would go well in rugby?

I know Harry Wilson goes well with bat in hand.
I think stylistically that is true but really fast bowlers work bloody hard in test cricket.

On the other hand a batter might only face 1 ball in the same way a winger might only take 1 run like Wendell did towards the end.

Mitch Marsh could play 7 for the Wallabies tomorrow.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It’s obviously early days but I have massive concerns about Green. I think if you were to design a 12 month period to destroy a player’s red ball confidence then you’d design the last 12
months for him.

He could have been playing shield cricket this entire test season but instead has run drinks and is now replacing Smith who is looking for a ‘new challenge’ despite not meeting the challenge of his number 4 spot recently.

Maybe he scores 300 in the second innings but right now there’s no way to justify he’s in the 6 best batsmen.
Have to say that I am not keen on Smith at opener and Green at 4. Smith at his best is a truly world class batsman and might succeed but it is a risk which might backfire. But Green has not yet done anything consistently convincing to warrant a starting spot in the test team, let alone at 4 which should be reserved for the top rated batter in the team. I do hope that Green can prove to be a successful No 6 in time, but I don't see him there this year. I think I would prefer to see Smith back at 4, with Green playing as much Shield cricket as he can over the next year. Bring the best opener in at least temporarily until someone absolutely steps forward to own the spot.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Saw on cricinfo that Aus are now the only team in Test history to have four bowlers with 250+ wickets in the same XI.
I hope we appreciate it. Don't think it'll quite set in until they've been retired for a few years. Absolutely no reprieve, alternating Starc/Hazelwood then bringing in Cummins is just unfair.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can only think of a few attacks over the years that have been as relentless: the Windies of the 80's (pick any quartet from Marshall, Holding, Garner, Roberts, Ambrose, Bishop or Walsh) or the Waugh/Punt boys (Warne, McGrath, Binga, Dizzy)