• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Gotta say this crowd seems pretty poor for a Saturday. Did a lot leave after the heat all day?

We’ve killed for a contest in the games and I reckon Adelaide would have a much bigger crowd.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Gotta say this crowd seems pretty poor for a Saturday. Did a lot leave after the heat all day?

We’ve killed for a contest in the games and I reckon Adelaide would have a much bigger crowd.
I believe today will be around consistent with Adelaide day 3 but yes it has been unbelievably hot. Even for a Queenslander who would usually never whinge about heat and humidity as a point of pride, this has been really bad and atypical. Yesterday it was as bad but there was cloud cover.
IMG_3896.png

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I think Adelaide suffered from not having the Day Night though. Feels like it has become an event for that Test.
For the size of their city their attendance isn’t bad. Especially considering the opposition and all the unknowns. They have a massive beer garden which helps.

Perth earlier was terrible, only 17k on their biggest day in a 60k stadium which I think honestly just reflects that everyone’s still working at that time of year.

Brisbane did really well the first two days despite the weather. There’s cricket fatigue by this point but having the Australian team in town on Australia Day is a boon for the Gabba.

Sydney not that great given its population and the holidays.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I know there must be deals in place but surely the WACA must get looked at for some of these series. Full atmosphere…

Always a hard sell for the 6th & 8th ranked Test sides.
That would be absolutely fantastic. We just do not see pitches like that of the WACA variety any more. So many legendary innings and spells there.

I believe iron ore royalties get put to use in convincing Coldplay and the like to play at Optus and I don’t think the WA government will readily give up test cricket at that new ground. It’s pretty barren though.

It has to be said that Adelaide has the most educated punters and the most beautiful ground in the nation. Would love to get there for a match one day: perhaps a day night match with a Barossa tour in the morning.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The WACA is currently being converted into a suburban ground and probably won't be a test venue again. It was also a pretty shit place to watch cricket in its latter days. Full of concrete and no shade. You'd just get burnt to a crisp every day out there. The pitches at their peak were all time though and honestly the test tracks at Optus have been pretty sporting for the most part. Optus does look pretty empty with the kinds of crowds we've had in recent years to be fair. It's a great stadium though, a massive upgrade on the WACA and Subi.

My favourite ground in the country is Adelaide Oval, especially for a D/N test. The whole experience is fantastic.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shamar Joseph bowling WI into a really strong position here. Could be interesting if they can snag Smith and/ or Carey before the break.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Meanwhile Ringinland lead by 229 with two wickets left (Pope 195*) & the ball starting to keep very low.

Edit: India need 231, Pope last out for 196.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Evenly poised heading into the break - Windies with a will chance, but will Shamar Joseph be able to come out and bowl? He has done a massive job but looked a little uncomfortable.

Can Smith keep his head on and steer it to a conclusion? Will Lyon be able to stick with him?

Middle session has generally been the hardest for the fielding team. Might be time for the Windies to turn that around.