• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What a debut for Hartley! Also, that is one of the great innings from Ollie Pope.

As for Australia. I'm really disappointed in our Batting. We have no fortitude to bat through when the momentum is against us. Green is struggling at the moment but he worked hard to be out there and then got out in a way you get out when you're struggling. If just one of Marnus & Head could have done something in either innings we probably win. Worries me that our anointed future Captain is feast or famine. Live by the sword, die by the sword only works when winning. Couple of series losses and knives will come out.

S. Joseph was unreal and what a talent but a lot of credit has to go to Hodge, Da Silva, Sinclair who fought with a max strike rate of 50 in the first innings for their half centuries. Those gritty innings set them up and gave their bowlers a shot at our fragile line up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Green's bowling is very good. His catching is brilliant. I don't know why we are forcing him to be a 4 straight away? Head should be 4 in my eyes with Green 5 at best. Maybe down the track but for now he's not quite there I reckon. I do think this is our best top 6 (Marsh perhaps...but there is no one better at the moment I don't think). Marnus needs some work done on him. He has looked out of sorts for a while. Smith looked terrific so everyone has contributed over the last year or so. Except Green and Marnus. The coach needs to step up I reckon.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As for Australia. I'm really disappointed in our Batting

Yes. That is the obvious issue. We've got guys who just don't want to leave the ball enough.

What's less obvious, but just as worrying, is this strategy to try and bounce out the tail. Shamar Joseph showed that fast, accurate bowling at the top of off stump works. All the fucking time. So what is the thinking behind the short stuff? What's wrong with "you miss I hit"?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes. That is the obvious issue. We've got guys who just don't want to leave the ball enough.

What's less obvious, but just as worrying, is this strategy to try and bounce out the tail. Shamar Joseph showed that fast, accurate bowling at the top of off stump works. All the fucking time. So what is the thinking behind the short stuff? What's wrong with "you miss I hit"?
The ball that got Hazlewood should be on repeat of what to do to the tail. I get people don't like the short ball but with so much T20 played now even the lower order know how and are willing to hit it. Yeah, they may get caught eventually but can just as easily score a quick 20 runs.

Marnus' drop off is impressive. averaging 60 for years then now 35.
I know they need a rest but he looks like he needs to go back into the shield for a couple hits. Hope a few of the young guys can do well in the ODI series and back end of the SS season. We need to see the current lot pushed.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Where Marnus is concerned, he's fiddling around outside off and getting caught in the cordon. It could be an alignment issue with his feet or he's playing away from his body a bit. I think some time at Glamorgan during the winter to tighten up his technique will do him the world of good, like it has in the past.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Absolutely. Full balls on off stump are pretty effective against the tail and we don't employ it nearly enough.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Green's bowling is very good. His catching is brilliant. I don't know why we are forcing him to be a 4 straight away? Head should be 4 in my eyes with Green 5 at best. Maybe down the track but for now he's not quite there I reckon. I do think this is our best top 6 (Marsh perhaps...but there is no one better at the moment I don't think). Marnus needs some work done on him. He has looked out of sorts for a while. Smith looked terrific so everyone has contributed over the last year or so. Except Green and Marnus. The coach needs to step up I reckon.
Think the assistants might be answering some questions on how we move forward. Di Venuto has been there a while now in his second stint as Batting coach and I'm yet to see anyone develop over this time. 2 centuries this summer. 1 by Warner.... and 1 by Head who finished the summer with an average of 25 (thank god for the century).

They need as Brown Hornet suggests County time and Shield time. Smith has been out of form but he was scrapping around the crease and getting 30 from 100 balls etc. The time in the middle I think has set him up to get into some sort of form sooner than others.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Some Shield games for big Cam would help as well.

The call on the assistants is reasonable. A review of our batting at seasons end would be worthwhile. I know our tracks are harder to bat on right now, but neither has the performance of the batting order been good enough.