• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Truman, Statham backed up by Laker or Lock was fearsome at the time. I'm hoping my memory is correct that they were all contemporaries.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I can only think of a few attacks over the years that have been as relentless: the Windies of the 80's (pick any quartet from Marshall, Holding, Garner, Roberts, Ambrose, Bishop or Walsh) or the Waugh/Punt boys (Warne, McGrath, Binga, Dizzy)
Which combo would you least like to face?
1. 1981 Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft, or
2. 1988 Marshall, Patterson, Ambrose, Walsh?
Both diabolical.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was at the WACA as a kid watching Marshall, Holding, Garner and Walsh destroy us in December 1984. Holding's spell remains one of the best I've ever seen.

That'll do me as far as Windies attacks go ;-)

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
The Canberra Catheters in a lovely shade of yellow could be good actually. Can’t be too dark or it’ll clash with the golden cap and helmet of course.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was at the WACA as a kid watching Marshall, Holding, Garner and Walsh destroy us in December 1984. Holding's spell remains one of the best I've ever seen.

That'll do me as far as Windies attacks go ;-)

yep - I was going to suggest the same on the back of the Gabba - I remember Marshall being scary fast that game.

And then running on the field afterwards to get Viv's autograph only to feel this enormous hand on my shoulder to politely move me out of the way only turn around and look up and up and up to Joel Garner!

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Green and McDonald have covid apparently. Team arrived in Brisbane on Sunday so there's a decent enough chance that others will also get it. Hopefully symptoms aren't too bad. It's too late to draft in a broader squad so the Qld 2nd XI might be getting a call up given the Heat are in Sydney tonight.

Wallaby Ways

Chris McKivat (8)
yep - I was going to suggest the same on the back of the Gabba - I remember Marshall being scary fast that game.

And then running on the field afterwards to get Viv's autograph only to feel this enormous hand on my shoulder to politely move me out of the way only turn around and look up and up and up to Joel Garner!
My main memory of the Gabba was Nasser winning the toss and bowling. Then the Jones injury. Happened right in front of me. I was also there for Siddle’s hattrick. Great venue.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Obviously cyclones are not predictable two years in advance but I really hope CA stops messing around with the schedule and leaves the Brisbane test match first. Literally everyone should be happy with that arrangement. 1) less rain because it's not monsoon season yet, 2) the Aus players love playing on that deck first up because opposition teams struggle with the combination of pace, bounce, and a bit of swing, 3) Adelaide and Perth get matches closer to Christmas which means bigger crowds for them.

Also, Adelaide day/night has worked decently well but now the majority of the Gabba test will be played in the window when storms are most prevalent.

Wallaby Ways

Chris McKivat (8)
Obviously cyclones are not predictable two years in advance but I really hope CA stops messing around with the schedule and leaves the Brisbane test match first. Literally everyone should be happy with that arrangement. 1) less rain because it's not monsoon season yet, 2) the Aus players love playing on that deck first up because opposition teams struggle with the combination of pace, bounce, and a bit of swing, 3) Adelaide and Perth get matches closer to Christmas which means bigger crowds for them.

Also, Adelaide day/night has worked decently well but now the majority of the Gabba test will be played in the window when storms are most prevalent.
Gabba renovations will be interesting!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

They lost the first test of the Summer due to poor crowds outside of Ashes tests and now being the worst major venue in the country following the upgrades at Adelaide and the new stadium in Perth.

I imagine it may change again after the Gabba is updated.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
They lost the first test of the Summer due to poor crowds outside of Ashes tests and now being the worst major venue in the country following the upgrades at Adelaide and the new stadium in Perth.

I imagine it may change again after the Gabba is updated.
Adelaide crowds are always good I'll grant them that but Perth crowds are also shit. No one showed up to watch Pakistan first up in Perth.

Even if that wasn't true, would you not rather have two tests in which no one goes and they get full days of play as opposed to two tests in which no one goes and there's a cyclone for one of them.

The Gabba is a less modern stadium than Adelaide and Perth but the Gabba is not worse than the SCG for example, it just doesn't have wooden bits. It's not as if it's unsafe to play there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
the Gabba is not worse than the SCG for example, it just doesn't have wooden bits. It's not as if it's unsafe to play there.

The facilities at the SCG are excellent and it has been steadily upgraded over time.

How many late January tests have there been in Brisbane? 2021 against India which went until late in day 5 with close to the minimum overs required across each day.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
The facilities at the SCG are excellent and it has been steadily upgraded over time.

How many late January tests have there been in Brisbane? 2021 against India which went until late in day 5 with close to the minimum overs required across each day.
In what way are the SCG facilities better than the Gabba? I'm generally curious as I've been to both in the last 12 months. It's not really relevant to this discussion anyway, I just threw that out there as bait for you, sorry.

More importantly in what ways is the Gabba deficient? Why would a more modern stadium affect its placement in the calendar if the alternative is more than adequate? Where is the logic behind that if you'll be playing in both anyway?

On the other hand there is a lot of logic in avoiding a monsoon. There's a decent amount of data to suggest it will rain more in late January than in early December in Brisbane.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In what way are the SCG facilities better than the Gabba? I'm generally curious as I've been to both in the last 12 months. It's not really relevant to this discussion anyway, I just threw that out there as bait for you, sorry.

More importantly in what ways is the Gabba deficient? Why would a more modern stadium affect its placement in the calendar if the alternative is more than adequate? Where is the logic behind that if you'll be playing in both anyway?

On the other hand there is a lot of logic in avoiding a monsoon. There's a decent amount of data to suggest it will rain more in late January than in early December in Brisbane.

Aside from upgrading the media facilities in 2020 the Gabba hasn't had any upgrades in close to 20 years.

In the time since then the SCG has rebuilt about half the grandstands into modern stands with far better facilities and added two new video screens/scoreboards.

The logic is that other venues also wanted that first test match of the Summer rather than the last and have presented a better case than Brisbane from a financial sense. I am unsure what state government contributions etc. have also helped sway the decision in different ways. I think there was definitely some political maneuvering from Cricket Australia when the change was first mooted given they'd been pushing Queensland to upgrade the Gabba and nothing had happened so losing the first test of the Summer was a consequence of that.

There is also definitely the element that having an early season test in Perth when everyone is still at work is great for TV viewership due to the later start time for east coast viewers.