• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Feeling a lot happier about our chances given the prospective knockout QF and SF matchups.

As Eden Park seems to have become the Aussie hoodoo ground for proper sports, I reckon that the Kiwis will be intimidated at the G, with at least 70000 screaming local fans making the venue as hostile as facing up to some chin music from the Mitchell's.

Apart from the occasional guest appearance in the BBL from McCullum and Vettori, when was the last time any kiwi cricketer played in Australian conditions?

In a fairly solid team, this may be a key weakness for us to exploit the next time we meet.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
NZ have played 2 games at the MCG since 2002 and the last was in 2009.

They have a relatively good record there - won 8 from 24 games but its a pretty big home ground advantage for the Aussies

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
These are good points. I reckon it's hugely disadvantageous for NZ having all their games at home then the final in Australian conditions.

I find it telling that the three highest wicket takers in the tournament are all Kiwis. To me that says a lot about the pitches they are producing over there.

It's also interesting to note that the fourth player on that list is Starc. Considering he's played a game less and in conditions less conducive to swing, I tend to agree with Warne that Starc is the best/form seam bowler in the world in this format right now.

I think every other team has played a game or two on this side of the ditch so provided NZ make it, whoever they come up against will have an edge. If it is Australia or India then it's a significant advantage. Any subcontinental team will probably feel like 50/50 crowd split even if Aus makes it.

Provided we don't draw South Africa in the QF at Adelaide we will have a pretty safe run to the final. It's no secret they are really struggling for consistency right now without a quality 5th bowling option but I'd still like to avoid AB if possible.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hazelwood or Marsh? I think they will go to Marsh to add to the batting. Might be a horses for courses selection.

Take the genuine quick over the part timer every day.

Marsh bolsters the batting (it's pretty deep when you consider Haddin is at 8 now) but is a vulnerable bowling option if Johnson or Maxwell are going the distance. Can pretty safely assume Starc and Faulkner won't get hit out of the attack.

Hazlewood consistently hits a good line and length and rarely goes for a lot of runs. He also adds a right arm option which is good for the bowling balance considering we have three lefties.

If the final was being played tomorrow our side would be:
Warner
Finch
Smith
Clarke (C)
Maxwell
Watson
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
12th: Marsh

Haddin and Faulkner are interchangeable in the batting order but after the last few performances I reckon Haddin is due a promotion.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Poms starting to look a tad wobbly, 126/4 in the 28th & rate required heading towards 7. Not exactly panic stations but I'd imagine there's a fair bit of tension in their shed right now.........

EDIT: 3/13 in the last 5 overs, Poms exiting tournament is defo on.......

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jeeves the Butler has gone after the Soap Dodgers seemed to be in control of the match.

238-7 off 45.5

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So close for a run out. Go Bangas.

There is a fair bit that will depend on this TMO call.

and TMO calls it OUT. Soap Dodgers are out as well.

238 - 8.

34 runs from 23 balls to win.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Big call coming up here.... the more they look the more I think TMO is looking for a reason to give it OUT. And does. Dont let the door hit you chaps on the way out.............

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
There's one of the stupider rules in cricket - he was in, and only is "out" because the bat bounces up. Retarded. Even though it's England.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dropped a sitter. Life is tough sometimes.

ENG off the hook. Pressure building up for the Bangas.

15 off the over. Tense as. 16 runs needed off 12 balls.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Castled.

Broad gone. ENG 9 down. 16 runs needed. Anderson facing. 11 balls to go,

Another one castled. Anderson's middle stump knocked over.

... ... ... and it's good night from the CWC knockout stage for the Soap Dodgers. Back on the big bird heading home to Blighty after playing Afghanistan to establish who is the wooden spoon runner up in Pool A.

Bangladesh-Flag-wallpapers-stock_1920x1200.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.