• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Goooooooooone!

Bangladesh fans going off, Pom bench looking for ways to avoid the presser...... fully expecting KP to be re-appointed England captain within 72 hours & Mr Mores to get the arse (not necessarily in that order).

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Should be some interesting reading from the English papers in the next little while, the writers have hopefully had a few beers at lunch, not that they need priming to unleash. Cook will be enjoying his beers tonight.

Great result!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pool A QF qualifiers decided:
1. NZL
2. AUS
3. BAN
4. SRI

Pool A Cricketing Minnow Nations heading home:
Afghanistan, Scotland, England

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wow. ICC are nuts to want these teams out of the cup.

Yeah agree. Minnow nations like England will probably have to combine with other nations (Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland - maybe all of Ireland) as GB&Ireland Lions just to be able to qualify for the next CWC.

Poor sportsmanship from ENG captain and interviewer. Give the Bangas some credit for their performance. Stop whinging about how sh!t you were. There is an international audience watching the CWC, and not just a pack of sad poms feeling a little robbed of what many of them believe is their natural right to progress to the QF.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hahahaha. What a result for the game.

Go home and have a long hard look at yourselves England, we'll be over soon looking for that little urn and if you play anything like that it will be a clean sweep.

Morgan is going to be ripped apart in the press. He's got to be one of the worst captains I've seen in a long time, hasn't shown any fight whatsoever.

Well done Bangladesh, best of luck against South Africa. Looks as if we will also have Sri Lanka v India.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just quietly, I wonder if NZ would prefer to play the West Indies or Pakistan?

Windies seem a very disjointed team that the NZ bowlers could rip through but with the likes of Gayle, Russell, Samuels and Bravo they could also do some damage on the small grounds if they get on a roll early.

Or Pakistan, who have some crafty batsmen like Khan and Misbah with some very useful slow bowlers that will be suited to NZ conditions.

I'm hoping we play Ireland and NZ gets Pakistan.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
NZ v Paki, will it be a repeat of 1992 where an inconsistent Paki side scraped into the semis (thanks to a NR against England after rain interrupted when they had been skittled for 66) and then knocked over the hosts before rolling England in the final.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ I remember that SF only too well, Crowe shoulda made 100 but got out just short & we finished on 260-odd when really we needed nearer to 300...... then it looked like we had ''Em on toast if only we could get Javed out.... then this kid called Inzamam started going crazy & it was panic stations & then we fuckin' lost by IIRC 4 wickets with an over & a bit to go.........

Seem to recall Willie Watson (top bloke, had several beers with him the night before the NZ v Zimbabwe match in Napier: at least, me & my mate were on the beers, Willie was drinking these cocktailish thingys with umbrellas in them) went OK but everyone else pretty much got smoked.

India pretty much home & hosed in the Tron, only need 32 from 17 overs. Sad for the Oirish but they've still got another game & could yet make the QF: really hope they do & give ICC cause to take another look at their stoopid "no Associates" policy for 2019, how do they expect to "grow the game globally" if the likes of Ireland & Afghanistan are excluded?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I really don't like the timing of India's sudden return to form.

Dhawan and Kohli look world class. Raina, Sharma, Rahane, and Dhoni are no longer dismissing themselves stupidly.

More alarmingly out of nowhere their bowling attack looks incredibly well-balanced with the return of Jadeja and Ashwin. Shami and Yadav are also getting amongst the wickets and their fielding has improved dramtically.

We would likely play them on a spin-friendly SCG pitch with a large Indian contingent in the crowd.

Gotta say, I don't like it one bit.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tricky final Pool match for NZ on Friday against an outfit who have, amazingly, won their last 7 matches against us:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...inance-of-black-caps-in-world-cup-dead-rubber

In terms of our most likely QF opponent I'm not sure why everyone's assuming it'll be WI. Yes they've got UAE & should demolish them to finish on 6 points, but their current net run rate is -0.511. Ireland finish v Pakistan: it's not inconceivable that they might win but even if they don't they already have 6 points & a net rate of +1.014 so I wouldn't be writing them off just yet, esp. as their last match starts 6 hours after WI's so they'll have a fair idea of what's required in order to qualify.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I really don't like the timing of India's sudden return to form.

Dhawan and Kohli look world class. Raina, Sharma, Rahane, and Dhoni are no longer dismissing themselves stupidly.

More alarmingly out of nowhere their bowling attack looks incredibly well-balanced with the return of Jadeja and Ashwin. Shami and Yadav are also getting amongst the wickets and their fielding has improved dramtically.

We would likely play them on a spin-friendly SCG pitch with a large Indian contingent in the crowd.

Gotta say, I don't like it one bit.
I'm not as concerned about India. Going well but Pool B definitely looks the weaker of the 2. But India coasting through has gotten their fans excited and that means $$$ for the game and bigger crowds so all good.

MCG should be renamed the Mumbai Cricket Ground for their 1/4 Final next Saturday.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Bailey talking about how Starc is more feared than Steyn and Morkel as a death bowler. Did that really need to be said? How would he even know? It's hard to like our cricket team these days. "Backing ourselves" has morphed into seppo chest-thumping.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When Clarke became the good bloke in the team, rather than the dickhead you knew things had really swung in the wrong direction.

So many dickheads in the ODI and T20 team in particular...

Reactions: JJJ

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Bailey talking about how Starc is more feared than Steyn and Morkel as a death bowler. Did that really need to be said? How would he even know? It's hard to like our cricket team these days. "Backing ourselves" has morphed into seppo chest-thumping.
Do we have the actual quote so I don't have to get outraged only to find that it's not nearly as bad as this journalist wants us to believe?

edit found it myself
Asked if Starc was as feared in the death overs as the likes of Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel, George Bailey was unequivocal.

"I would say he's more feared," Bailey said on Tuesday. "I think he's got some really specific skills at the death that very few guys in the world I reckon are able to produce.
"That would be weighing on teams' minds. If he's doing that really well, and James Faulkner's skill at the death - Patty Cummins and Joshy Hazlewood do it really well too - then teams don't know when it is that time to launch, and you can put a bit of pressure on them a bit earlier."

Status
Not open for further replies.