• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Force - 5:35pm AEDT 24th March at AMI Stadium, Christchurch

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NTT

Now ive had a chill pill i will try and analyze the game.
The first half was some solid rugby by both teams. The Forces defense was a bit soft early for Digbys try but when we got some ball we fought back well and got it back 7-3. Back on defense though after that we lacked some line speed and sat back a bit too much and let the Crusaders do a lot of what they wanted to do. The one of few times we did use linespeed we got the intercept to Newsome. Take out Romanos ridiculous try and the halftime score is 21-17, not a bad first 40 by the Force, trouble is Romanos try was awarded and it was 28 - 17.
Second half was a complete borefest with scrum resets and a bit of drizzle making things slow down. Louwrens was a standout for the Force in the second half but he didnt have enough helpers. We had a good period of possession and territory from the 50th to the 65th minutes, we just didn't fire the kill shot and let too many opportunities slip. Second half defense was way too passive. The wet ball caused us grief too with too many late handling errors.
Overall, the Force is still growing. We have a lot of new forwards who are short on experience. We missed Meakes' straight running and defensive organization. When the game got slow and the rain kicked in we didnt change gameplan quick enough. We really missed having a 12 who could get us over the advantage line off first phase and we missed having a couple of forwards who just smash holes up the guts. It seems to be something that most Aussie teams do the whole catching the ball static thing. Our players need to learn to add speed to the ball when on attack not just catch and shovel or catch and ruck 5 metres behind the advantage line. It kills the momentum you need for a flowing attack.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Just watching the replay of this game. Anyone else think that Louwrens scores at 54mins? Fuck it looked like it to me but the Hoff had none of it. Potentially 33-24 then at that stage. Would it have changed anything? No idea. Frustrating that he didn't even get the TMO to have a look.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Just watching the replay of this game. Anyone else think that Louwrens scores at 54mins? Fuck it looked like it to me but the Hoff had none of it. Potentially 33-24 then at that stage. Would it have changed anything? No idea. Frustrating that he didn't even get the TMO to have a look.
He wouldnt have scored but it was cynical as all hell and warranted a yellow, particularly given the yellow he awarded to a force player for a foul that wasnt cynical at all.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
He wouldnt have scored but it was cynical as all hell and warranted a yellow, particularly given the yellow he awarded to a force player for a foul that wasnt cynical at all.

I don't believe it was cynical but do think it warranted yellow.

Whoever the force player was bent down a bit to pick it up but after it bounced thought better of it and soccered it on. From being directly behind him and only having a second to make the decision I don't feel the crusader player was cynical in his play. He just made a judgement call and got it wrong

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
WOB, I agree that there are many dark arts at work in the scrum, many many more than I would have a clue about, but I do know when a LH prop is boring in and pushing at right angles to the direction of the scrum. Crockett has been doing it, and getting away with it for years. He really ought to be YCed out of the game if he can't rectify this particular habit.

Other LH props also do it - Remember Marler? And Bill Young? Both eventually got their come-uppance when the refs started to take notice. It is well beyond time for them to take notice of Crockett now.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's talking about a different opportunity not the one where lowrens was taken without the ball which should have at least been a yellow if not a penalty try.

On this occasion the force won a short arm penalty 5m out from a scrum. Lowrens took a quick tap, this first thing that Hoffman missed In this play was that lowrens was tackled by Barrett who hadn't even moved from his position at the scrum. He should have awarded a penalty and maybe even a yellow for such a sinical play. Lowrens spun out of the Barrett tackle and crashed over the line and appeared to ground the ball on the first movement then momentum continued an he was raised off the ground and held up. Hoffman called held up and awarded a scrum to the force 5m out. Force players pleaded with him to have a look at both the try and the first tackle from Barrett but he would have not of it.

He had a shocker and showed just how incompetent he is last night.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Screenshot_20170326-091710.png

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have only had time to catch the first half. Apart from the whole Romano situation, I don't think Hoffmann has been terrible so far.

I might get my head bitten off by some for saying this, but I completely agree with whoever it was who said that the Kiwis are killing the game with their style of calculated offending.

Things I am loving about the Force at the moment:
- We are attacking better than we have since 2009.
- Lots of guys are showing a heck of a lot of promise (Ainsley, Hardwick, Louwrens) and a lot of those guys are from our system.
- Our set piece is generally functioning pretty well.

Not to write this year off at this point in the season, but if the Force are still around next year, and the dithering from the ARU doesn't cause a mass exodus, I am pretty excited about how next year could go with a bit of better luck from the injury gods and a whole bunch of players who will be more confident at this level. Confident enough that we wouldn't give away games like those away games against the Waratahs and Brumbies.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)

Should've been a yellow, at the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.