• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Force - 5:35pm AEDT 24th March at AMI Stadium, Christchurch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
Jermaine Ainsley ended up with a dislocated elbow and probably won't play again this season. Crockett's illegal tactics at scrumtime have finally injured someone.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
25 scrum collapses by the Saders for 1 yellow card
1 ruck penalty for 1 yellow against the Force?

Fuck off Hoffman

that may be the worst ref performance I've seen in a while. How many Cru infringements in the red zone with only one card? Here's a screenshot from the penalty the Cru won after their 25th scrum collapse. Crockett, as usual, angles way in, DIRECTLY in front of Hoffman. What a clown - this guy should not be reffing at a Super Rugby level. Not to mention, Ainsely was injured as a result of the same tactic.

As you said, THEN he bins Naisarani for what even Marshall said was a legit steal?

It's tough enough to compete with the Crusaders at home, but when there's reffing like this, it's impossible. He needs to be stood down after that performance. Not up to it.

crockett_bore.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think the first force player actually momentarily grounded the ball, then when the ref didn't call it he proceeded to roll it back for someone else to clear.

I'm also sure at some stage Ainsley saw Romano coming and that hands on the ball ready to pass it become downwards pressure. Very hard call to make and the less controversial option would have been no try.

You can even tell when the ref awarded the try then went "oops I probably fucked up there" and sent it upstairs in the hope it got turned over

I actually thought maybe first player had forced it too Southsider, but I wonder if Romano had not forced the ball and Ainsley kicked the ball to touch , would everyone then be squealing if the ref came back for a 5m scrum? I not saying anyone right or wrong, but I wonder how refs ever win these ones.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
EDIT: glad it's a Strayan ref.

My reply would probably be better on the refereeing decisions thread too WOB, but have you noticed that Aussie refs generally, and Gardner and now the Hoff in particular, are over zealous in their officiating of Aussie teams when they're playing any of the other conference sides? Gardner has been like it for at least a couple of years, and Hoffman was certainly over-zealous against the Force last night. Not that it affected the result, but it's very bloody annoying.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Something really does need to be done about Crockett's scrummaging. His idea of scrumming straight is straight towards the right hand touch line. A few scrums last night he was perpendicular to the touch line. Always been the same, sad to say. It is very possible that his illegal tactics contributed directly to Ainslie's injury.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
that may be the worst ref performance I've seen in a while. How many Cru infringements in the red zone with only one card? Here's a screenshot from the penalty the Cru won after their 25th scrum collapse. Crockett, as usual, angles way in, DIRECTLY in front of Hoffman. What a clown - this guy should not be reffing at a Super Rugby level. Not to mention, Ainsely was injured as a result of the same tactic.

As you said, THEN he bins Naisarani for what even Marshall said was a legit steal?

It's tough enough to compete with the Crusaders at home, but when there's reffing like this, it's impossible. He needs to be stood down after that performance. Not up to it.

crockett_bore.png
Hard to fathom how Crockett has not been targeted just as Mahler was in RWC2015: by his opponents and the officials.
I think the real, TV Hoff deserves a chance: could not be more consistently wrong.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In the highlight package at the 2.30 mark, I surprised there not more comment on the Force try.

Sumo called it but Marshall & Lose were OK with it, I thought it was 50:50 in that there was contact but I'm not sure Taufua would've stopped the try anyway.

Also for the Romano try Peni's hand appears to be under the ball the whole time he's presenting it for Ainley to pick up, suggesting neither of them could have forced it & Romano essentially stripped the ball to score.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Sumo called it but Marshall & Lose were OK with it, I thought it was 50:50 in that there was contact but I'm not sure Taufua would've stopped the try anyway.

Also for the Romano try Peni's hand appears to be under the ball the whole time he's presenting it for Ainley to pick up, suggesting neither of them could have forced it & Romano essentially stripped the ball to score.
Whether or not that was a technically legal try, it was stupid and the kind of dumb shit that only happens in Rugby. Undesirable outcome.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I actually thought maybe first player had forced it too Southsider, but I wonder if Romano had not forced the ball and Ainsley kicked the ball to touch , would everyone then be squealing if the ref came back for a 5m scrum? I not saying anyone right or wrong, but I wonder how refs ever win these ones.

Like I said, at some point I'm sure Ainsley saw him coming and that hands on the ball to pass became some sort of downward pressure. If the ref had called grounded 5m scrum I very much doubt anyone would've batted much of an eyelid at that decision.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
More a case of finding the absurdity of blaming one guy for the collapse of a scrum containing 16 guys & resulting injury to one of them.

Refs do it every time they penalise a scrum for going down. Regardless, props are meant to scrum straight through the opposite front row. Crockett goes sideways as much as he goes straight and always has. WOB, you are a fair and even handed commentator usually. Surely you can see what he was doing in the scrums in question, including the one where the injury occurred.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crockett does what every other Super Rugby & above loosehead prop does. He's been doing it for long enough to rack up 172 Crusaders & 58 Tests plus 73 for Canterbury & a handful for the "Junior" AB when we had a second XV. In all that time & all those matches I've never heard anyone accuse him of injuring someone either by design or as a result of his scrummaging technique.

I'm pretty sure every prop got pinged st least once last night for various offences that come under the "dark arts" heading. It's unfortunate that someone got hurt & I hope he makes a quick & full recovery but let's not have a witch hunt.

EDIT: on re-reading my #97 I see I didn't make it clear that I meant it was absurd to blame Crockett & only Crockett for the injury.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jermaine Ainsley ended up with a dislocated elbow and probably won't play again this season. Crockett's illegal tactics at scrumtime have finally injured someone.

I go along with WOB on this, that is a ridiculous statement even for a forum, where we expect some not too bright ones!!

Status
Not open for further replies.