• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drugs in sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the darkest day in Australian Sport has resulted in one Victorian club that has systematically and cynically cheated getting hit with a wet bus ticket.

A fine, a finals berth that they were never going to make much of anyway, coach banned for 12 months, and no draft picks.
Compare that with when Lord Mungo dished out to the Storm over salary cap rorting.

Shane Warne takes one little pill from his mother and gets a 2 year ban slapped on him.

Essendon do what they have done and get bugger all. AFL laughs in the face of the ASADA and WADA as it seems they are above the laws, rules and procedures that apply to other sports.

Still waiting to hear the apology to Rugby and Soccer who have been tarred with the same Drug Cheating brush by the Minister for Grandstanding.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hugh Jarse
Precisely, and I mean precisely, what have they done?
I am troubled by the idea that the administration of supposedly banned substances to players results in greater punishment for the coach than it does for the head of the medical staff - but perhaps I have lost track of who knew what was happening and when by whom.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
More specifically, the Darkest Day was the discovery that one so-called "sports scientist" was hawking his potions around various AFL and NRL clubs - one bloke. Perhaps the term used should have been the Dankest Day in Australian Sport.

However, keep in mind that these are just the AFL's sanctions - ASADA may still prosecute the players separately. Although, given that they've had more than 6 months to do so and still haven't moved on it, I don't expect much.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hugh Jarse - the sanctions handed down are from the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute. The ASADA investigation is still ongoing.

Inside Shoulder - the club doctor, Bruce Reid is still to be sanctioned. His hearing has been held over until today or later this week.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hugh Jarse - the sanctions handed down are from the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute. The ASADA investigation is still ongoing.

Inside Shoulder - the club doctor, Bruce Reid is still to be sanctioned. His hearing has been held over until today or later this week.
Oh - OK - but yesterday they were talking about a fine only for him.
Then this:
Reid's letter of warning addressed to Hird and former football manager Paul Hamilton in January 2012 was a key part of the evidence gathered in the six-month investigation into Essendon's risky drugs program, which began in late 2011 after Hird was warned by the AFL to stay away from implementing a peptides program to his players.
I cant help feeling that the club, Hird, Thomspon and the rest are being bullied and that they have such regard for their sport that the desire to harm it no further is a factor in their copping these penalties.
Julian Burnside is no shrinking violet so his presence comforts me a ltitle.
I am being a tad romantic and naive in still thinking the best of these guys?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From everything I have read on the matter, the club doctor was mostly excluded from the peptides program which was run by Dank etc.

I still think he has to cop a reasonable portion of the blame as whilst he expressed his concern on the matter, as the medical professional for the club and its players, his duty of care should have extended beyond that.

I think Hird and the Bombers really lost touch with normality thinking that a program involving injecting players with experimental drugs on a regular basis was acceptable on the basis that they didn't believe any of those drugs were specifically banned.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Oh - OK - but yesterday they were talking about a fine only for him.
Then this:

I cant help feeling that the club, Hird, Thomspon and the rest are being bullied and that they have such regard for their sport that the desire to harm it no further is a factor in their copping these penalties.
I don't think Hird has been bullied by anyone.
I think he has finally acepted that he is guilty of something,and a negotiated penalty was his best alternative.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hugh Jarse - what do you think would have been a more appropriate punishment by the AFL? I think the sanctions handed down are pretty substantial.

You've said it was weak compared to a punishment that was entirely retrospective so is arguably a punishment in name only and a punishment that related to a failed drug test of a specifically banned drug.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What precedents are there in Sports administration for scandals of this magnitude?

About the only guidance is the Salary Cap rorting by Storm and Carlton? Are they a start point.

Warnie takes one pil = 1 years individual ban.
Del Sailor is found with recreational chemicals on board and gets two years.
TdF riders typically get 2 years ban which appears to be the norm for WADA "convictions".

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think Hird has been bullied by anyone.
I think he has finally acepted that he is guilty of something,and a negotiated penalty was his best alternative.
It may be that my impression of this has not kept up with what has actually emerged re Essendon or that I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop in relation to the Sharks - or am I being too generous to them too?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

Yes, I think you're being romantic and naive, unfortunately. I get it that these are incredibly competitive guys living in a bizarre AFL bubble, but they have an important duty of care over their players. Administering unregistered medications, on the word of a very questionably qualified individual, is a very serious issue, and deserves punishment.

No doubt though, you've picked up the line that will be pushed by many - that they really did nothing wrong, and just accepted the punishments to minimise the damage to the club and allow everyone to move on. That they in fact should be held in even higher regard for their selfless sacrifice for the club.

Bollocks.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The shoe will only drop if the NRL adopt the same attitude the AFL did.
My understanding is that Essendon were only found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute.No drug charges.
I know I don't need to explain the nuances to you.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
What precedents are there in Sports administration for scandals of this magnitude?

About the only guidance is the Salary Cap rorting by Storm and Carlton? Are they a start point.

Warnie takes one pil = 1 years individual ban.
Del Sailor is found with recreational chemicals on board and gets two years.
TdF riders typically get 2 years ban which appears to be the norm for WADA "convictions".

Alex Watson (?) and caffeine/No Doz.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So Canberra Raiders player Sandor Earl has been pinged not only with taking a banned peptide but also importing and trafficking it.

He could be looking at anywhere between a four year and life ban apparently.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think he can get less than four years if he gives evidence against other players involved in his operation. There must be more than a few nervous NRL players knocking around this morning, particularly those who he played with in 2011 which is when the alleged offense occurred.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think he can get less than four years if he gives evidence against other players involved in his operation. There must be more than a few nervous NRL players knocking around this morning, particularly those who he played with in 2011 which is when the alleged offense occurred.

Yes, I read that he was hoping to potentially limit his ban to 12 months by complying fully.

Surely it is something of a catch-22 for him. If he comes clean on the trafficking and provides information regarding who he trafficked the drugs to then perhaps he will receive a lesser sanction from WADA/ASADA but surely he'd be paving the way for stronger criminal charges against him.

If he dobs in other NRL players to shorten his drug ban, how likely would an NRL club be to sign him in a year or two's time? Would other players be prepared to play with a cheat turned informant who tried to save his own skin by bringing others down?

Status
Not open for further replies.