• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drugs in sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Yes, I read that he was hoping to potentially limit his ban to 12 months by complying fully.

Surely it is something of a catch-22 for him. If he comes clean on the trafficking and provides information regarding who he trafficked the drugs to then perhaps he will receive a lesser sanction from WADA/ASADA but surely he'd be paving the way for stronger criminal charges against him.

I think he'd be better off worrying about any criminal charges at this stage and any NRL bans should be at the very bottom of his priorities.

His lawyers should be focusing on doing a deal with the AFP for immunity if he goes super grass on the whole operation because I think its safe to assume he wasn't buying these peptides at Chemist Warehouse with his cousins employee discount.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where did the peptides and other supplements come from that Essendon and the Sharks were using under Danks?

Did Sandor Earl supply those or were his activities seperate from the Danks programme?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where did the peptides and other supplements come from that Essendon and the Sharks were using under Danks?

Did Sandor Earl supply those or were his activities seperate from the Danks programme?

Dank imported them himself I believe.

He was allowed to because he had a licence to do so (for at least most of them).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Getting juicy now. About time.

Pity there is an election campaign on right now, otherwise we may have received another very proud Minister for Grandstanding make some more pronouncements.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the blackest day in Australian sport involving organisied crime, performance enhancing drugs, and match fixing boils down to:
a. a Stephen Danks witch hunt in Mungo and Cross Country Volleyball over PED
b. a rather naive Mungo "trading" in some PED
c. 6 part time 7th division Eurotrash sookballers throwing some games in an obscure competition that some Malaysians like gambling on.
d. suggestions that PED may have been involved in the death of a player on mungoland.

Now which sports get all the government money, FTA exposure and massive FTA deals?

And back in Rugbyland, old Muncher is still mowing the grass at Merrylands RSL park for nothing more than a mention in the annual report, and a club t Shirt every couple of years.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Having just watched the Sandor Earl interview on the Footy Show coupled with the revelation that organised crime is connected to Roosters players I don't think this is a beat up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gave up on watching the Footy show about 20 years ago. Found it about as amusing and intellectually stimulating as the Cannonball segment that they used to have on the Rugby Club.

What did that say?

Organised crime is heavily involved in some tattoo parlours. They are constantly being firebombed around Sydney.

Are the Roosters players too tattooed?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Been a while since I've watched the Footy Show. I recorded it and then watched it after the Rugby Club. Am I allowed to stay on G&GR now?

Based on the Earl interview, if proven, Stephen Dank is in a spot of bother.

I actually have some sympathy for Earl. He accepts responsibility for his actions but was bloody naive (as most 21 years olds with little life experience are). He was a minuscule wage, trying to put his brother though school. He had a double shoulder reconstruction and was introduced to a 'scientist' who seemed to be reputable and worked with many NRL clubs. His trafficking charge has been laid because he picked up a vial of peptides from Dank's clinic and drove to his doctor.

After the Earl interview a reporter was discussing that the next breaking story will be the use of illicit drugs amongst players and their connection to organised crime.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dank is a common denominator at Essendon, Manly, and Sharks yet so far has had a teflon suit on.

There was some speculation a while back that Earl would be being given a deal if he dobbed others in.

Apart from Dank, did he suggest that he had done a deal with ASADA and given them information to advance their investigations against others?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Earl hasn't dobbed in any other players. He's not aware of any specific players just that he worked with other clubs.

His chance of having a 4 year ban reduced to 1 rests on him providing enough evidence for ASADA to get Dank.

The interview was heavily edited and there were a lot of others in the room behind the camera, lawyers etc. I wonder what was left on the cutting room floor.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Earl took some drugs,which at the time, had he phoned ASADA and given them the brand name or chemical formula,they would have advised him that it was not banned.
I struggle to understand how he deserves any time off.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Am I right in thinking this controversy about the Roosters has no connection with Stephen Dank? If so, that would be a first for this whole process.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Mungoball component of the Darkest Day in Australian Sport seems to have fizzled out.

Sharks hit with a wet lettuce leaf fine. Coach banned for a bit. Trainer banned for life.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is just the Nrl punishment. Asada still may (likely will) levy their own punishment if they have enough evidence.

This punishment has been selected to wound the sharks but not mortally so as the Nrl has their tv commitments and they are buggered without 16 teams.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The allegation is that unknown substances were given to the players, and as they are unknown they could have been harmful.
They have no proof of any peptides being supplied, or they would have been charged with this.
I doubt ASADA has any information that the NRL does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.