• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dwyer Looking To Buy Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
He he. Nice, Belly! Maybe he has the business alchemy that turns the Tahs from a lead balloon to solid gold??
I'm not Belly. Neither of us would be happy with you referring to me as him :)
But if it does transpire, I hope you are right about that!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It would be hard to imagine anyone doing a worse job of running rugby the the NSWRU and it's varying sub-committees.

Its only the Tahs.
Presumably the license fee (on which we the community game appears to have been short changed $13k this year) is the mechanism for that contribution - so net gain $0 for grass roots.
If running football teams in this country was profitable or even viable we'd have heard about it before now: just think about the clubs that have slipped into obscurity in the last 20-30 years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Its only the Tahs.
Presumably the license fee (on which we the community game appears to have been short changed $13k this year) is the mechanism for that contribution - so net gain $0 for grass roots.
If running football teams in this country was profitable or even viable we'd have heard about it before now: just think about the clubs that have slipped into obscurity in the last 20-30 years.

Agree with that, although maybe Bob has the model? Or possibly he won't be putting his own money in?

Hard to imagine the NSWRU stirring from its inertia in order to either accept or reject any proposal.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agree with that, although maybe Bob has the model? Or possibly he won't be putting his own money in?

Hard to imagine the NSWRU stirring from its inertia in order to either accept or reject any proposal.

If he had the model, knowing his love of the limelight, we would have heard before now.
To me they simply can't accept the idea: it creates a conceptual division between the source of the games talent and its use.
Accordingly, they almost certainly will!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
But people were telling me there's no interest from the rich Australian rugby supporters in owning top level professional teams!??

Rich people don't own sports teams to make money. They do it because they have a love for the game and/or an ego that needs feeding.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If he had the model, knowing his love of the limelight, we would have heard before now.
To me they simply can't accept the idea: it creates a conceptual division between the source of the games talent and its use.
Accordingly, they almost certainly will!

Is it the ARU or the NSWRU which deals out the licence? My reading of the article was that the ARU had given/sold the licence to the NSWRU, who then decided to create the Waratahs entity as a wholly owned subsidiary.

If the NSWRU were to not take up the licence after the current term expires, they would then be completely irrelevant to Australian rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it the ARU or the NSWRU which deals out the licence? My reading of the article was that the ARU had given/sold the licence to the NSWRU, who then decided to create the Waratahs entity as a wholly owned subsidiary.

If the NSWRU were to not take up the licence after the current term expires, they would then be completely irrelevant to Australian rugby.

NSWRU has a permanent right to a Super Rugby team. A few years ago they decided to create a separate entity to run the Tahs and they have that entity a five year right to run the team. The Tahs pay a dividend of around $1m a year because there is the recognition that the Tahs have to make money for NSWRU to run rugby in the rest of the state.

Dwyer and co would be bidding for that right to have total control in running the Tahs for a presumably guaranteed amount of time with certain conditions about how much they have to pay initially as well as each season.

At least that is what I guess the deal would involve in general terms.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

What Braveheart said - but I think the licence fee was/is $1.1 and they paid $1.083 - so they were about $17k short.
  • Waratahs Rugby delivered over $7,000,000 in global media value for its sponsors (a 45 per cent increase versus 2012), the highest of any Australian franchise.
  • Number one across all 15 Super Rugby franchises for back of jersey position exposure.
  • Revenues from gameday increased by 2.8 per cent to $3,234,921.
  • Gross sponsorship revenue came in at $5,451,528 (a shortfall of $328,128 versus 2012)
  • Annual revenue from corporate hospitality concluded at $255,403, with Chairman’s Club now established as the premium sports hospitality offering in NSW.
  • Member numbers were up 26 per cent versus 2012 to 11,050 with total memberships for the season hitting a record 18,502.
  • Member satisfaction (as measured by the annual member survey) was 82 per cent, a huge rise from the 34 per cent recorded in 2012.
  • Match attendances for the Super Rugby season averaged 16,949, the second-highest of all Australian franchises but down almost 20 per cent on 2012.
http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au...aratahs-post-a-small-financial-loss-for-2013/

Some bullshit, some encouraging results and some things that mean you could only consider acquiring the license to run the Tahs because of a love of rugby - does Dwyer really have mates with so much money they can afford to do spend the time, effort and some money for that privilege?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that attendances down 20% and sponsorship revenue down by $328,128, but they say that gameday revenue increased by 2.8%.:confused:

The bits in yellow deserve no further comment.

According the the Herald, the status of the NSWRU and the licence aren't as clear-cut as we think:

The Waratahs operate under a complex licencing agreement with the ARU and NSW Rugby. Obligated under the SANZAR agreement to supply five Super Rugby teams, the ARU invested NSW with a licence to run the Waratahs.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/bob-dwyer-in-bid-for-private-takeover-of-nsw-waratahs-20140502-zr348.html#ixzz30amB0Bmw

I don't know Bob Dwyer personally, but my French mates can't speak highly enough of him and what he has done/is doing for rugby in France a club level. I can certainly remember refereeing lower grade games at Coogee Oval when he was the first grade coach and he was at the gate when 3rd and 4th grade came on and off- and he knew the players names and took the time to speak with them about the game while they were waiting for the next grade to come out. So I think he has a genuine commitment to the game- it's just whether that extends to tipping money in.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I can't read,or I can't count.
If there are supposed to be over 18,000 members,and the cheapest membership is $50,how are membership subscriptions only $381k?

Membership numbers cannot have increased by 26%
If they have gone from 11,050 to 18,502
Or is the 18,502 number they quote,irrelevant for the period they are reporting on?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You get the feeling that the same blokes responsible for assembling the annual rugby participation numbers were behind some of the numbers in the Tahs report.

I don't think they have said that memberships went from 11050 to 18502. I think that say that the membership number was 11050, and that 11050 was 26% higher than 2012 numbers. In that case 2012 member numbers must have been 8769.

The interesting statement is total memberships hit 18502, yet member numbers were 11050.

Does this mean that one member may have had more than one membership?

If John Smith buys a 2 game membership pack, and two 4 game memberships, is that counted as one member number and 3 memberships?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You get the feeling that the same blokes responsible for assembling the annual rugby participation numbers were behind some of the numbers in the Tahs report.

I don't think they have said that memberships went from 11050 to 18502. I think that say that the membership number was 11050, and that 11050 was 26% higher than 2012 numbers. In that case 2012 member numbers must have been 8769.

The interesting statement is total memberships hit 18502, yet member numbers were 11050.

Does this mean that one member may have had more than one membership?

If John Smith buys a 2 game membership pack, and two 4 game memberships, is that counted as one member number and 3 memberships?

Obviously in accounting school, there is a separate department for those who want to work in rugby.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.