• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dwyer Looking To Buy Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Today’s article in the AFR discussed the following..
Pet Resorts owner (David Levy?) has withdrawn his bid which I think we knew.
Negotiations with ANZ consortium still ongoing
No mention of Dwyer but said they are still in negotiations with a ‘few’ parties
Heads of agreement cut off by end of Nov or most likely not go ahead. This comment by Roger Davis concerns me the most as it hints that we may not see a sale..
Unsure how this will end up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
amongst the positive news with regards the positive impact of a declining Aussie dollar in this article (here) is the news that the private ownership takeover of the Tahs is off the table for the time being:

Last year’s Super Rugby title could not have been more timely for the Waratahs in pouring oil on troubled financial waters, but the franchise still has some major issues to address. For starters, the so-called “private equity” solution is off the table, at least for now.

“I think backburner is the best word,” said Davis. “I think there are still opportunities to do something there. It was designed to provide capital but it was never a sale. It was always going to be structured as a management agreement. It was going to de-risk the business, underpin a flow of income to the NSWRU and provide clear opportunities, depending on which of the options you looked at, to the staff.

Also some concern over whether Tah Inc continues and the impact on signing new contracts, both for head coaches and stadium deals:

Not so the question of whether the NSWRU and Waratahs will continue as separate entities, one governing the essentially amateur side of rugby in NSW, the other the game’s professional wing. Until the Waratahs are granted an extension of their licencing agreement with the NSWRU, they legally cannot sign any contracts that extend beyond this year. That means their hands effectively are tied in terms of finding replacements for coach Michael Cheika, who will become full-time Wallabies coach at the end of this Super Rugby season, and CEO Jason Allen, who will leave in March.
It also means they are unable to formalise any stadium contracts. Current assistant coach Daryl Gibson is the favourite to take over from Cheika but the Waratahs will be expected to conduct a global search.
And even if they started now, they still would be leaving their run perilously late as most of the top coaches are already locked in for 2016 and beyond.

T

TOCC

Who could have guessed bureaucratic red-tape could impede a businesses ability to operate effectively..

NSWRU have to make a decision, either sell the Tahs or get rid of the ridiculous business model they currently operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Any sale of the TAH's should come with perpetual clauses to ensure a minimum level of engagement through to club and junior/schools . I know it is in their interests to give back and makes commercial sense to build on the Waratah brand but in business you only need a poor or misguided management group to drop the ball ( has anyone seen that happen to a national team? ). The NSWRU should own the Master Licence and Sell a Franchise to the successful bid party with a mutually acceptable revenue arrangement in place ... and be more transparent about it , you never know if the main stakeholders of the game (ie. the public) had a tangible way of knowing what percentage of gate takings , advertising revenues were flowing back towards the grassroots that public may feel more motivated to support the game . Mind you if they (NSWRU) don't sell the Waratah's the same motivations should apply . All of the above may or not be in place . I'm not sufficiently close enough to know , there may be others who have a better handle on the constitution etc of the NSWRU and the tenor of its board and executives .

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is only about someone other than Waratahs holding the licence from the NSWRU - thats why they talk about a structured management agreement: seems unlikely anyone is ever going to get hold of the Tahs in perpetuity.
So the proposed (dreamed of?) structure envisages being able to run the Tahs at a profit after paying the $1m + license fee to NSWRU.
In these uncertain times that does not seem like something you'd pay a lot of money for the privilege of running - particularly with fickle sydney crowds

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Article in The Australian by Wayne Smith behind paywall, but google "Only two states developing Wallabies" to get it.

Not only has the current CEO of Waratahs announced that he will not be renewing his contract when it expires in December this year, but it revealed that the licence for the Waratahs is reverting to NSWRU.

There will be fun and games as the Leather Patches fight to get a seat on the Gravy Train, and their snout into the boardroom goodies, the power and influence, not to mention the selfie opportunities as they tune in to Sydney's leading radio station WII-FM*.

According to the article, it is all happening in this off season.

Will this end up in anything other than tears and tantrums?

*What's In It For Me

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Article in The Australian by Wayne Smith behind paywall, but google "Only two states developing Wallabies" to get it.

Not only has the current CEO of Waratahs announced that he will not be renewing his contract when it expires in December this year, but it ire revealed that the licence for the Waratahs is reverting to NSWRU.

There will be fun and games as the Leather Patches fight to get a seat on the Gravy Train, and their snout into the boardroom goodies, the power and influence, not to mention the selfie opportunities as they tune in to Sydney's leading radio station WII-FM*.

According to the article, it is all happening in this off season.

Will this end up in anything other than tears and tantrums?

*What's In It For Me

Crap. Well, at least we won one Super Rugby title as I doubt we'll see one anytime soon if the cluster!@#$ that will likely follow comes to pass.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From the article...

“I would love him to stay on,” Waratahs chairman Roger Davis said of Harris. “There is a huge role to fill and I regard Greg as one of the best administrators in the game. I guess he’s got other things to do with his life.”
Speaking from Spain, Harris wouldn’t go into the details of the restructuring involved but did set the record straight on one front.
“I can assure you I’m not resigning because of ill health,” he said

What reason - yet more rugby politics in NSW?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the 5 year licence for the Waratahs was to expire at the end of this year, and the NSW RU had given no indication to Waratahs Inc that there was going to be any extension of that licence, then a short term contract for the CEO vacancy, created by the resignation of Jason Allen, was probably sensible action for the Waratahs Inc Board to adopt.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think like a B grade movie, we all know what's coming. Unfortunately, unlike a B grade movie where the good guys in the white hats win, I suspect the the guys in black hats will triumph.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Growden wrote this a week and a half ago:
Waratahs not one big happy family

Waratahland is yet again going through a Loony Tunes phase. It's is just over a year since the Waratahs won the Super Rugby title, but it hasn't taken long for head office to lose its bearings. Many disenchanted employees have left in recent weeks, with a big, big name likely to depart before Christmas due to his exasperation at the intervention of ARU chief executive Bill Pulver pushing his personal preferred governance and organisational structure mantra through the NSW Rugby Union and the Waratahs. A Waratahs board member told colleagues recently: "I really don't care what happens out there any more. I've had a gutful of all the politicking going on."

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/271331.html#qteHJWm0Vdl0Td2t.99

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
From the article...

“I would love him to stay on,” Waratahs chairman Roger Davis said of Harris. “There is a huge role to fill and I regard Greg as one of the best administrators in the game. I guess he’s got other things to do with his life.”
Speaking from Spain, while sipping Dom Perignon from the front bottom of a high-class Russian call-girl on his new super-yacht, Harris wouldn’t go into the details of the "restructuring" involved but did set the record straight on one front.
“I can assure you I’m not resigning because of ill health,” he sniggered.

What reason - yet more rugby politics in NSW?

Why else would a sports administrator flee (erm, travel) to Spain?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Those Russian dolls, they're so full of themselves.

VdWtxNI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.