• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Sunday 19 November 2:00am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If that was you’re interpretation of my comment then it’s wrong, I think Hooper is a very good player.. however, I think POOPER as a combination had a weaknesses which the opposition increasingly were able to exploit. Specifically it creates a liability at the line-out, and against the top teams, this offset the benefit of playing the two together.

Now I’m sure someone will quote height stats and claim it wasn’t really an issue, but it certainly was. It limited the offensive ability of the line out and provided the opposition with an often unopposed set piece to launch attacks from.

No it wasn't. Just an observation that people from other countries don't get why Hooper gets so much criticism in Australia.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
No it wasn't. Just an observation that people from other countries don't get why Hooper gets so much criticism in Australia.

I don't think commentary teams are necessarily the voices of reason or representative of what is reality - they are paid to talk shit during matches and shit is largely what they deliver. (I am referring to your original post talking about the commentary team) An accurate gauge of what overseas think of him would be the numerous offers and high dollar figures that are thrown his way by the Euro teams the same way they are thrown at guys like Gill and Pocock.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think commentary teams are necessarily the voices of reason or representative of what is reality - they are paid to talk shit during matches and shit is largely what they deliver. (I am referring to your original post talking about the commentary team) An accurate gauge of what overseas think of him would be the numerous offers and high dollar figures that are thrown his way by the Euro teams the same way they are thrown at guys like Gill and Pocock.

Is your inference here that we don't hear about them in the media therefore they don't exist?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is your inference here that we don't hear about them in the media therefore they don't exist?

Yes. The press would be all over that shit like a rash if there were offers being made to a high profile player like him - like they are for every other high profile player in the business come contract time. Unless the media just aren't that interested in him come contract time (for some reason).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What? That's some bizarre logic, from top to bottom.

I would have thought a nomination for World Rugby Player of the Year tells you plenty about how he's received up north.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes. The press would be all over that shit like a rash if there were offers being made to a high profile player like him - like they are for every other high profile player in the business come contract time. Unless the media just aren't that interested in him come contract time (for some reason).

Haha

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Most yellow carded test player in history - at 26 years.

So revolutionary in his position that we repeatedly end up with unbalanced back rows.

Next year, form permitting, Pocock to 7. He's a better player and a better individual.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Without wanting to keep going over the refereeing decisions I was reading Brian Smith's analysis and looking at that clip of Moore's obstruction of Koroibete and when Foley gets taken to the ground not one of the English players enters through the gate. They all enter from our side of the ruck. This (1) stops Foley from potentially popping off the ground to Hooper or TK who could run in a try and/or (2) (more likely) prevents Genia from getting quick ball away which could have seen us score before their defenders were able to get onside. It at the very least should have been a penalty. Not sure how professional referees could review it and not see it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
FFS he is copping shit for being lip read Your analogy just isn't accurate, the major difference is that he was in the stand watching the game, not in a meeting, not for saying anything in a press conference or an interview

He is a national coach. He is a repeat offender for bad behaviour. Every single national and pro team coach has the camera on them after key plays. Eddie Jones was caught out the week before this game and even though his words were "lip read" and correctly so as 'how fucking stupid are we?' he had to apologise for just this reason. I have to ask How fucking stupid is Michael Cheika? He is being paid multiples of the average Australian wage to do his dream job and he is representing the country. Certain standards are required. I don't give a rats arse what he said or if it was directed at the referees or not. Great Lip reading skills are not required to read the expletives in it. It is behaviour unbecoming, and can be excused once or twice, but this has already been the case repeatedly. I actually hope he gets a big fine and the boot up the arse from the IRB from the investigation due tomorrow. If he cannot grow up and act with restraint he is in the wrong job. Rant and rave all you want in private (the point of my analogy) but on the public stage you are a representative and have a role and demeanour to up hold.

T

TOCC

FFS he is copping shit for being lip read Your analogy just isn't accurate, the major difference is that he was in the stand watching the game, not in a meeting, not for saying anything in a press conference or an interview

No, he is copping shit for calling the ref a ‘fucken cheat’, listen I don’t really care about the whole situation but no matter which way you paint it, it reflects poorly on Cheika and isn’t the kind of headlines that they would hope to be attracting.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No, he is copping shit for calling the ref a ‘fucken cheat’, listen I don’t really care about the whole situation but no matter which way you paint it, it reflects poorly on Cheika and isn’t the kind of headlines that they would hope to be attracting.

Wasn't it 'fucking genius'?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think we all have it wrong with Chec and not reading him right - did you not see him clapping his hand when Hooper's try was disallowed, he acknowldeges good reffing and understanding of the laws.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The issue with Cheika (apart from his questionable coaching/selecting concerns) is that through his behaviour he is very divisive. Just look at the views being posted on this thread. It's time he did something about the way he conducts himself. Rugby in this country is in sufficient trouble otherwise. We don't need a coach who turns people away from the game.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)

I think most of the time the media hears about these offers it’s not because of some great investigative journalism, it’s because the player’s manager leaks it to them in an effort to bump up the player’s asking price.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

It is surely beyond dispute that one of the few comparative advantages we have over the other code is that our game used to be seen as having higher standards of player, referee, and coaching behaviour. We used to be seen as a "game for gentlemen" quote/unquote.

Chubby is behaving like a mungo, frankly. There is nothing to be gained from going downmarket in this way, nothing at all.

If I were the CEO of the game here, I would be calling him back from the tour, right now, and having a very serious chat with him. "Pull yourself into line, control your temper, or look for another position".

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Most yellow carded test player in history - at 26 years.

So revolutionary in his position that we repeatedly end up with unbalanced back rows.

Next year, form permitting, Pocock to 7. He's a better player and a better individual.

That Hooper doesn’t feel
a personal need to occupy the vanguard of social change is hardly evidence of him being an inferior individual.

You have some issues with Hooper that perhaps need exploration with a trained mind. His efforts at club, province and country are hardly worthy of your bile. Seems a good young fellow doing his best in difficult circumstances. At least he turned up! The other bloke is off filling his pockets in Japan after having a paid holiday.

I have read some rubbish here but that is up there with the best.

Speaks more to the refs and IRB that McCaw wasn’t jailed for some of the persistent crap he perpetrated.

Hooper seems a convenient target for empty heads with and without whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Michael Hooper is a very good yoing Aussie, but has had some issues in the past with skateboards and street signs I believe. He also has had some unfortunate run ins with referees along the way in his rugby career. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest David Pocock might have some aspects of his character that society would look more favourably on than MH. Probably going a bit far to suggest he is a superior individual, but perhaps no further than suggesting that Richie McCaw should be in jail.

I think Lost that you have uttered some rubbish here that is very much up with the worst seen on the site.

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The St Michael of Hooper crap is tedious.
As is the non stop defence of Phipps passing. And Cheika's tirades. And Hanigan's inability to play test footy. And Foley's kicking. There's a theme there - it's monotonous.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The St Michael of Hooper crap is tedious.
As is the non stop defence of Phipps passing. And Cheika's tirades. And Hanigan's inability to play test footy. And Foley's kicking. There's a theme there - it's monotonous.

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.