• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Sunday 19 November 2:00am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Putting aside the contentious decisions the one thing O'Keefe needed to do better was just tell the players to shut up and accept his decision. Allowing Farrell to be in his ear during the Koroibete decision was outrageous whether or not you think it was a try. Even with the Beale decision he reaches into his pocket to get a card and then stops and actually begins to listen to what Kurtley was saying. If he's confident in his decision that it was a knockdown then he should just give the card immediately, tell KB (Kurtley Beale) to get off and justify it to Genia afterwards if he feels he needs to. The fact that players were willing to remonstrate with him so quickly signals that he might have a bit of a reputation for being able to be talked out of decisions. Don't think players would be so quick to argue with Nigel Owens (unless they were a few select ABs).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
In a previous profession during a non public meeting I called a Superintendent of Police a man of no honour who was loose with the truth and resembling female genitalia. His reaction by your standard, because I am a man of passionately held ethical beliefs, was out of all proportion and he should have been more tolerant because that passion is an asset and comes as part of the package. A major difference in my case were that my statements were ones of proven facts, Chieka has no such factual evidence to fall back on.
Ive once been carded for looking at a ref wrong... Which closely followed by our captain coach and CEO getting Red carded for telling said, ref, blind dumb useless and he needs his eyes checked and his brain replaced with a, dead monkeys one as it be smarter.. He called some form female genital too.. I must give bad looks.. It's funny years later the ref remembered and said sorry and sent me because he thought I, was going to call him what captain did..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I could accept this as true and in my opinion welcome, BUT. You might recall that a Welsh player blatantly knocked on when "trying for an intercept" and he didn't get carded by Action Jackson. So which interpretation is correct? Did Jackson dud us last week or did the referee over-react this week?

I wouldn't be holding Whacko Jacko up as an example of anything much refereeing-wise. He would have been a good fit for the Wallabies v Barbarians game as he doesn't like making decisions though.

T

TOCC

And Pocock - who possibly might now be in the running to become President of Zimbabwe for all we know. (would insert emoticon here but site is in about the same condition as the Zimbabwean economy)

I’m excited about the return of Pocock, I’m not excited about the return of POOPER, the memory of a struggling line out is still fresh on that one

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I’m excited about the return of Pocock, I’m not excited about the return of POOPER, the memory of a struggling line out is still fresh on that one

It's interesting the the English commentators on Bein Sports have a far higher opinion of Michael Hooper than those on these threads.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It's interesting the the English commentators on Bein Sports have a far higher opinion of Michael Hooper than those on these threads.

Hooper gets plenty of GAGR MOM votes,
He had another strong game on the weekend even with the cheese,
Only the other week against the AB's is a perfect example.

We lost on the weekend becuase we didnt score enough points to win. Yeah the ref read to 50 / 50 plays the poms way - lets say we get one each we still lose - why did Beale not attack the ball that almost went into touch.

Take the points off the scoreboard.
I think we attached a little better than they did,
But they defended alot than we did.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In a previous profession during a non public meeting I called a Superintendent of Police a man of no honour who was loose with the truth and resembling female genitalia. His reaction by your standard, because I am a man of passionately held ethical beliefs, was out of all proportion and he should have been more tolerant because that passion is an asset and comes as part of the package. A major difference in my case were that my statements were ones of proven facts, Chieka has no such factual evidence to fall back on.

FFS he is copping shit for being lip read Your analogy just isn't accurate, the major difference is that he was in the stand watching the game, not in a meeting, not for saying anything in a press conference or an interview

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
FFS he is copping shit for being lip read Your analogy just isn't accurate, the major difference is that he was in the stand watching the game, not in a meeting, not for saying anything in a press conference or an interview

And now some home nation narc wants it investigated. Some are saying he said 'f***ing genius' which is entirely plausible considering his sarcastic applause of the decision. https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...smail_rugby&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=crm

T

TOCC

If that was you’re interpretation of my comment then it’s wrong, I think Hooper is a very good player.. however, I think POOPER as a combination had a weaknesses which the opposition increasingly were able to exploit. Specifically it creates a liability at the line-out, and against the top teams, this offset the benefit of playing the two together.

Now I’m sure someone will quote height stats and claim it wasn’t really an issue, but it certainly was. It limited the offensive ability of the line out and provided the opposition with an often unopposed set piece to launch attacks from.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The Pooper was better than anything else we had at the time. Now we've got a few guys coming through that can play 8, Naisarani, Timu, Valetini etc., there's better options on the table. As good a player as Hooper is he's the logical choice to drop to the bench because of the impact he could have at the end (not that I think it's likely he will be dropped).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes. It is not hard. The rules are black and white. It is inarguable and the fact is his actions at the time and comments since mean that Hooper doesn't know the laws of the game. I'll go further and say that the stats over a long period, culminating in 8 YCs to Hooper mean that the usual statistical anomalies have been corrected for and a clear pattern is there. Hooper attracts excessive penalties and his value of play while dominant in many aspects can be justifiably questioned in total to the costs. As a Captain I suppose he suits Chieka, passionate and unable to control himself to the detriment of the team.
Agreed, the challenge is that for years it is ignored, and then it isn't.

The rules of rugby are such that every play could be penalized, our refs actually need some feel for the game or it is just horrible and so frustrating

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: gel
T

TOCC

From Brett McKay:

Only Sekope Kepu and Marika Koroibete were shown to be proper metre-hounds, averaging 11 and 11.7 metres per carry respectively.

Five of the starting forwards carried for single-figure meterage; Scott Sio with an extraordinary ten carries for just three metres, Rob Simmons with six carries for two metres, and none of Tatafu Polota-Nau, Blake Enever, and Ned Hanigan registering even one metre from multiple carries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
He doesn't have to take part in the play to be offside, he only needs to keep advancing towards the ball.
Do you mean that Hooper should have stopped in precisely the way the Scottish player stopped in the second try they scored against the all blacks?

(/s)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agreed, the challenge is that for years it is ignored, and then it isn't.

The rules of rugby are such that every play could be penalized, our refs actually need some feel for the game or it is just horrible and so frustrating

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The thing that irks me was that they never checked to see if the man was offside in England's first (bodgiest try of all time?). From the shit TV angle i had it looked like he was well off.
A couple of this years star performers really chose this match to drop the ball (literally). Kuridrani, Genia and Beale. Foley hasn't played well in while.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
From Brett McKay:

Only Sekope Kepu and Marika Koroibete were shown to be proper metre-hounds, averaging 11 and 11.7 metres per carry respectively.

Five of the starting forwards carried for single-figure meterage; Scott Sio with an extraordinary ten carries for just three metres, Rob Simmons with six carries for two metres, and none of Tatafu Polota-Nau, Blake Enever, and Ned Hanigan registering even one metre from multiple carries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hardly surprising when we have no impact off the bench, missing our hard running second rowers and up against the best defense around. Although, the offside line seems to protrude forward at a 90 degree angle from the base of the ruck for England's 'rush'defense.

T

TOCC

Hardly surprising when we have no impact off the bench, missing our hard running second rowers and up against the best defense around. Although, the offside line seems to protrude forward at a 90 degree angle from the base of the ruck for England's 'rush'defense.

Can’t blame the bench for the lack of meters in the starting forward though

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is there anything more irrelevant than cumulative run metre stats for forwards?

You could be driven back 10 times for -10m and then make a 22m break on your 11th carry and it'd look like you had a good day

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is there anything more irrelevant than cumulative run metre stats for forwards?

You could be driven back 10 times for -10m and then make a 22m break on your 11th carry and it'd look like you had a good day

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Yes the averages are misleading. At the same time, all those pigs with0m to their names - either they've been belted backwards so much that their go forward didn't register, or they simply had no go forward. Both options are hardly promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.