• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
This touring side is shaping up as one of the least unknowns in memory. One or two spots maybe still up for grabs, but injuries and form reversals in the next two tests aside, most of the squad can be pencilled in right now.

However, personally, I'd like to see a couple more smokeys on the plane, specifically Kellaway, Gordon, Lance, and perhaps Hanigan. But including some or all of these will be at the expense of others who are fairly certain of their spots, so I don't expect to see any of them in the squad.

Australians don't put these tours under much scrutiny (out of sight, out of mind). Obvious we at G&G do, but we're at the extreme end of the fan base.

It'd be a great opportunity to test blokes so far from a WC and I'd be shattered if we didn't take it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It'd be a great opportunity to test blokes so far from a WC and I'd be shattered if we didn't take it.

Agree with that and the newbies will be blooded off the bench.

It is so important, moving forward, that we win as many games as possible on the tour to maintain what small amount of momentum we have.

I advocate as I always have, to put our best team on the field for each test match. Tinker a bit with the Finishers but the win is paramount.

It really is a shame that there are no mid week matches in which virtually all the squad guys get to wear the Green and Gold.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's a Grand Slam tour. We've beaten the All Blacks at Eden Park more recently than we've won one of these. We have more RWC wins than we do Grand Slams.

If we aren't going over there to win every fucking Test then I'll be bitterly disappointed. For sure, take a couple of rookies but only a couple and maybe give them a few minutes at the end of a match if we have it in the bag with 5 to go. This one isn't a Contiki tour.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Absolutely all in for the GS.

Not being one of the home nations in the Grand Slam tilt, France then becomes the "dirt tracker" fixture.

(this is banter as per thread title, in case G&G people need it spelled out)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
At this stage, Scoey, I don't think the likelihood of a Grand Slam should enter into our discussions. Let's wait to see how realistic it might be after the tests against SA and Argentina. Two wins there and the Grand Slam will have relevance, but a loss or two will probably confine the Grand Slam to fantasy, especially given the gap that appeared this year between us and England.

We have failed to achieve the Grand Slam in tours over the past couple of decades, but in the same time have won a RWC and finished runner up a couple of times. Until there is some evidence that the Wallabies have a real chance of achieving the GS this year, then I for one am more interested in looking to our prospects in the 2019 RWC.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If sio (or anyone else for that matter) is carrying an injury I really hope he's left at home to rest and recover. We've been playing players into the ground for way too long and many of our best players of the last 5 or so years have seen major form slumps as a result. Give the guys that need it a proper off season - just look what's happened with genia after he finally got some real time out of the game to recover.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
At this stage, Scoey, I don't think the likelihood of a Grand Slam should enter into our discussions. Let's wait to see how realistic it might be after the tests against SA and Argentina. Two wins there and the Grand Slam will have relevance, but a loss or two will probably confine the Grand Slam to fantasy, especially given the gap that appeared this year between us and England.

We have failed to achieve the Grand Slam in tours over the past couple of decades, but in the same time have won a RWC and finished runner up a couple of times. Until there is some evidence that the Wallabies have a real chance of achieving the GS this year, then I for one am more interested in looking to our prospects in the 2019 RWC.

Using that logic we should also use the Bledisloe Cup matches to test a few options for the 2019 RWC also. We've blooded a shit ton of rookies this season already. As I said, take one or two more on tour if you wish but the focus should be a clean sweep. Made even more important by the inbound June series.

Looking forward to 2019, I would think that a Grand Slam would be a better indicator of where we are at than a 3 from 5 tour where we tried hard but the young blokes weren't quite up to it.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
One week at a time, one game at a time. Except when it really matters, and it doesn't on the Northern tour. It only matters during tournaments, or during Bledisloes. That's it.

I'm falling asleep here, mate.

Send me a telegram when something happens.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Is there any guarantees we will even get out of our pool game and win RWC 2019.
Methinks not.

Therefore the 15 (approx) test matches each year are very important, each and every one

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Poey wants to be back for the spring tour.. I thought he was in Japan ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Really ????

Might not be a spot for him at 8 if McMahon and / or Timani give a good account of themselves in the next 3 games:)
Would be nice to give Hooper a bit of a break at some stage - he must be on track to play well above 30 games this year. Injury follows that volume of playing time.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Will we see any players included in the squad under the Giteau law? I wouldn't mind Horwill in the squad. Over the weekend he put in a pretty good shift against the Sarries (including his opposite number, the 2nd coming of Jesus, Maro Itoje).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Will we see any players included in the squad under the Giteau law? I wouldn't mind Horwill in the squad. Over the weekend he put in a pretty good shift against the Sarries (including his opposite number, the 2nd coming of Jesus, Maro Itoje).

I would be most surprised if Chek used Horwill, all things being equal.

There are 4 locks that will be doing - Coleman, Simmons, Arnold and Douglas with some others that can cover lock if necessity dictates.

It would take a catastrophic injury toll before James gets the call

Status
Not open for further replies.