• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
No need to rush Koroibete when there are other options available.

If he is selected without any NRC/Super rugby, IMO that would smack of massive desperation.

Building combinations with a clear game plan should be the priority. You would hope that is what has been happening during the campaigns this year. Get that sorted and then pick the players based on some evidence/form.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My touring squad:

prop: Ala'alatoa/Smith, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Slipper
hooker: Hanson, Latu, Ready
lock: Arnold, Coleman, Douglas, Simmons
backrow: Fardy, Holloway, Hooper, McMahon, Mumm, Timani, AN Other
scrumhalf: Frisby, Phipps, Powell
flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
centre: Godwin, Hodge, Kerevi, Kuridrani
wing: Kellaway, Morahan, Naivalu, Speight
fullback: DHP, Folau

injured

Now that there's a match against the French BaaBaas set down for the Thursday in the week between the French and Irish tests the selection strategy of a touring squad changes somewhat. Does Cheik go down his RWC route and take two complete teams? Or does he select a squad of 23 to fly in for this test only? Or maybe a group (13?) of up-and-comers to join the dirt-trackers for one game? There's an opportunity here to check how Ready, Hanigan, Simone, Koroibete and others go against quality opposition.

Be fascinating to see who gets the 10 jumper for this match.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe go for the 38 man squad?

Two Separate XVs, and a bench. So that nobody who is to start against Ireland plays against the French Barbarians.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Now that there's a match against the French BaaBaas set down for the Thursday in the week between the French and Irish tests the selection strategy of a touring squad changes somewhat. Does Cheik go down his RWC route and take two complete teams? Or does he select a squad of 23 to fly in for this test only? Or maybe a group (13?) of up-and-comers to join the dirt-trackers for one game? There's an opportunity here to check how Ready, Hanigan, Simone, Koroibete and others go against quality opposition.

I fail to see how Godwin justifies going on eoyt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My left field pick is English.

He's had an excellent NRC, after a fairly good Super Season.

Not that realistic though, between the fake wingers in Hodge & DHP, real wingers in Sefa, Speight & Morahan, plus Koroibete he's well down the pecking order, even after injuries.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Also isn't Beale meant to come good some time soon? He's been Giteau claused.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Frisby?

That would only be assuming that Cooper and Foley are still our 10/12 axis though. It's likely that Cheika will mix things up a bit for some tests on the tour and the France and Scotland games are the most likely candidates. Thus, it's possible that Hodge or Kerevi get a start at 12 v France, and maybe he'd start that centre combination v Ireland if it works well? That would leave either Cooper or Foley (depending on whether your glasses have a blue or rose tint) to start the midweek game and bench v Ireland. Otherwise we're probably back to Frisby!

It could depend on the answer to your other question though. If he takes 2 full XVs plus a few reserves, and Foley and Cooper are both in the A team, then he's going to select a completely different 10 to tour.

Come on down Jono Lance..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aren't they looking at using to keep some of the OS lads interested? Obviously they'd have to get releases from their clubs but To'omua would be an option, even Brock James.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah that's what I saw, the mid week game is not a test match so standard selection rules don't apply. Good chance to show some interest in guys he wants back in Australia by next world cup.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My left field pick is Irae Simone.

Ok might sound like getting on recent bandwagon but been impressed from the start with Irae and having watched taped replay of last Rays vs Vikings game I got the chance to do some replays on some of the stuff he does that often gets missed. I am happy to see a genuine playmaker at 12 with silky skills that can generate so many try assists (leads NRC in try assists) which is critical thing seeking from a 12 as well as ability to score tries / make breaks himself.

Been a pleasure to watch this guy. And if people are going to suggest Godwin that would be silly as Simone played all over Horwitz and Godwin so he should go ahead of Godwin for sure.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
My left field pick is Irae Simone.

Ok might sound like getting on recent bandwagon but been impressed from the start with Irae and having watched taped replay of last Rays vs Vikings game I got the chance to do some replays on some of the stuff he does that often gets missed. I am happy to see a genuine playmaker at 12 with silky skills that can generate so many try assists (leads NRC in try assists) which is critical thing seeking from a 12 as well as ability to score tries / make breaks himself.

Been a pleasure to watch this guy. And if people are going to suggest Godwin that would be silly as Simone played all over Horwitz and Godwin so he should go ahead of Godwin for sure.
He also comes in at a handy 193cm and 105 kg. But Aus rugby has guys like that just rolling off the production line.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thinking a bit left field, there could be some real long term benefits from picking someone like Simone out of the NRC. It would seem a very premature selection, but it all depends on the size of the squad. We used to routinely include a raw rookie (Houston being one) who were seen to have great potential.

I am not actually sure how many of these rookies really went on, but in this case it might really fire up the hopes of young il and comers when they get a shot in the NRC.

I'm sure there are 100 flaws in the idea too, but if the squad is big enough to take someone almost exclusively for experience I think there would be far worse strategies.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Simone would be a good inclusion, but my choice for a smokey would be Jake Gordon. Has shown all the skills we like to see in a No 9, good hands, quick to the breakdown, ability to run and break the line and electric speed in the open.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I like Gordon. He could well be a smoky, but only if Cheika decides to leave Genia out. I can't see him surpassing Phipps or Frisby, and I can't see Cheik taking more than three halfbacks.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Problem there might be Gordon's potential path is blocked by Phipps, isn't it? Whereas Simone has a realistic chance to play as a regular super rugby starter.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Simone would be a good choice.

Biggest argument against that IMO would be that between Kerevi and Hodge, there's two "inexperienced" centers already, who have exposed Super Form, which is ultimately superior to NRC form.

Ah well, just, what? 3 weeks of speculation left? Barely enough time.

Status
Not open for further replies.