• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Simone would be a good inclusion, but my choice for a smokey would be Jake Gordon. Has shown all the skills we like to see in a No 9, good hands, quick to the breakdown, ability to run and break the line and electric speed in the open.

Good player. Though, I think we have to think in terms of 'positions of need' for those smokies.

2nd playmaker (if we are to consider the 12 jersey that way) is a position of need, as is the back row. This is where the new caps will come.

Halfback? Maybe not.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno Amirite. In terms of positions of need, I think we have the 13 jersey covered. Everywhere else, we aren't more than an injury or two away from having a serious issue, if we aren't already in trouble.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Re the No 9s. Genia at present is well out in front of all other candidates. Phipps and Powell are similar players, quick to the breakdown, very little in the way of running games. Frisby is slower around the park but has a running game second to Genia of those who have been tried.

Gordon seems to have it all. Good solid halfback with a running game at least as good as Genia, maybe better. At this point, I believe he has more potential than either of Frisby or Powell (and Stirzaker as well). I would rather see Gordon on the EOYT than Joe Powell or Nick Frisby as I think he offers a more rounded game and is much more challenging to the defense.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
In a perfect world we'd all like to see how Gordon goes in Super rugby before he's measured up for a gig in gold. The way the Tahs scrummies' contracts have worked out it's highly likely he'll get bugger all time in light blue next year; taking this into account I agree with those who've suggested Lucas should consider a trip across the Nullabor next year with a view to assume the senior scrummie's role at the Force in 2017. Matt SHOULD be a first choice halfback in Super rugby: he's got about the best pass of any Oz scrummie, and he's a leader. His only drawback is his size. Yeah, I know the bit about the size of the fight in the dog/the size of the dog in the fight, etc, but taking on 120kg Saffer second rowers isn't a long-term career path for a small fella. The upshot of a move by Matt would be more game time for Jake, a classic win-win for all concerned.

Forgive me for rabbitting on about these two fringe players; I'd like to see them both succeed in rugby at higher levels.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Matt (Lucas) SHOULD be a first choice halfback in Super rugby: he's got about the best pass of any Oz scrummie, and he's a leader. His only drawback is his size. Yeah, I know the bit about the size of the fight in the dog/the size of the dog in the fight, etc, but taking on 120kg Saffer second rowers isn't a long-term career path for a small fella.
Size doesn't seem to be a factor for this halfback.
But, yeah, Lucas needs to get more starting opportunities. Somehow.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gordon has great potential, but it's difficult to tell off NRC form when you've got Frisby who's done well for a while and Phipps/Powell/Stirzaker who've been there or there abouts for ages.

Do we remember how good Frisby was in a good NRC team? He was awesome, as good as Gordon is now.

What I'm saying is, there's no rush. Lets get a bigger and better data set on the bloke.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Claim is a touch overdone. From Wiki:
Lucas 1.74cm; 80kg
De Klerk: 1.72cm; 80kg
Lol 2cm - well at least makes point that de Klerk is representing his country and as you point out 2cm shorter than Matt Lucas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sounds like Cheika is going to get Koirobete blooded via the Baa Baas against South Africa. Not a bad ploy!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/m...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

This is a good call. That being said, usually league converts for the Babas flounder. When a lot of your game plan is "improvise but be good while doing it" and you don't have those basic ingrained instincts, you can just not see much of the ball.

Usually the Baabaas play 2 games (one against a weaker, less notable club side or nation with a weaker team themselves). Ideally he'd play both.

T

TOCC

Taqele Naiyaravo, Wycliff Palu and Will Skelton have all be named in that Barbarians series as well..

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My touring squad:

prop: Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Slipper
hooker: Hanson, Latu, Ready
lock: Arnold, Coleman, Douglas, Simmons
backrow: Fardy, Hooper, McMahon, Mumm, Pocock, Timani
scrumhalf: Frisby, Phipps, Powell
flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
centre: Godwin, Hodge, Kerevi, Kuridrani
wing: Kellaway, Morahan, Naivalu, Speight
fullback: DHP, Folau

Those in red start against the French Barbarians. To make up a 23 we need two props, a hooker, a lock, a lock/backrower+two backrowers, a scrummie, a five-eight+a five-eight/centre and three outside backs.

Suggestions please.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Those in red start against the French Barbarians. To make up a 23 we need two props, a hooker, a lock, a lock/backrower+two backrowers, a scrummie, a five-eight+a five-eight/centre and three outside backs.

Suggestions please.

@Lindommer, there were suggestions (by ARU I think) that the EOYT squad would be announced at the same time as the squad for the upcoming Bledisloe. Would that mean that the 31 announced a couple of days ago are also the EOYT squad I wonder? If so, I think there are some omissions that are of some concern. to me, eg Godwin, Lance, Dempsey, a third half back and maybe Ready.

It could be of course that these and others will be added to the squad just for the Barbarians' game. If so, I think we'll probably see Godwin (five-eight/centre), Dempsey (backrower), Koriebeto (Outside Back), Lance (five-eight), and hopefully Gordon (No 9) added. Others required for the Barabarians could come from the initial squad being players not expected to get much time in the tests - Latu (though I'd personally prefer him to Hanson in the tests), and Speight and Naivalu as outside backs.

Props could be an issue. The five in the squad atm will probably all get good test time, so maybe Talakai and Toby Smith will come into the picture.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think this is the EOYT squad. There's probably an element of allowing the potentials who are still in the NRC to fulfill their commitments there rather than just being squaddies for the bledisloe.

Status
Not open for further replies.