• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I was thinking that if Kerevi is left behind and the plan is to run Folau at 13 at some point then we will need another kicking back 3 player on top of DHP. Kellaway? Khunt? Lance? The latter would have to be a chance because of his versatility. Could play Foley there too I guess.

There's been no news from the Reds that Hunt has returned from injury. Suspect aslo that Cheika might revert to Kuridrani at 13. G&GR punters have been thinking about shifting Folau for some time, but is it what Cheika is thinking?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Agreed dru, as much as I think that this is the game to air Folau at 13, more than likely TK will get the gig. However there is likely to be some experimentation in the other games particularly the ones against Scotland and France and I'd be surprised if that isn't one of the considerations, so the back 3 coverage is still required. Anyway, we will find out some clues to the thinking today.

Reactions: dru

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd like to see Hodge at 15, but the current centre injuries and the fact we looked better without the Foley-Quade combo means that won't happen, and fair enough.

Those talking about England and Kruis/Itoje's injuries need to realise that England have about 5 starting test-quality second rowers. Their depth is amazing.

Joe Launchbury is still around, Matt Symons can't even get a look in and he captained the Cheifs at their best, and even Courtney Lawes is hugely physical.

England's real weakness is the back row, with Haskell out Itoje was meant to play flank but with him out too they have Teimana Harrison, who doesn't look like a test footballer for mine. Then again, Nathan Hughes just qualified but I don't think he balances well with Vunipola.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'd like to see Hodge at 15, but the current centre injuries and the fact we looked better without the Foley-Quade combo means that won't happen, and fair enough.

Those talking about England and Kruis/Itoje's injuries need to realise that England have about 5 starting test-quality second rowers. Their depth is amazing.

Joe Launchbury is still around, Matt Symons can't even get a look in and he captained the Cheifs at their best, and even Courtney Lawes is hugely physical.

England's real weakness is the back row, with Haskell out Itoje was meant to play flank but with him out too they have Teimana Harrison, who doesn't look like a test footballer for mine. Then again, Nathan Hughes just qualified but I don't think he balances well with Vunipola.

Interesting to note that the analysis from Saturday's game is showing that on our set piece, we had Izzy at 12 and Hodge at 15. Hodge went to 13 in this structure after Kerevi went off.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Hodge "experiment" (that I wanted) didn't go well, in fact shithouse.

I do think the bloke should be persevered with at 12 for say, the next 2 games.

I agree it didn't really work, but I hope we see him stay there, with Kuridrani at 13 to cover the loss of Kerevi (seems likely) and keep some continuity. Cooper at 10 too I think. Make sure Cooper and Hodge are practising goal-kicking like fiends! DHP seems a good "traffic" runner so could work nicely off Cooper's hip; not fussed with either Speight or Naivalu on the other wing. But if they think Hodge is a 12 play long term, keep him there as much as possible and have Grey working the defence issues hard with him.

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)
Ive been hearing a lot of people talk about Irae Simone for the Spring Tour. I think to start with it is a push, however, considering he was born, raised and attend school in NZ and moved to Australia at 19 to pursue Rugby League wouldn't one expect him to want to play for the All Blacks. (probably already been said but CBF to read back through)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The most disappointing aspect of Hodge's play at 12 imo was his distinct lack of top end pace. I'd rather see someone with a bit more speed with ball in hand go to 12. Kerevi first up, but if not fit, then I don't know who.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The most disappointing aspect of Hodge's play at 12 imo was his distinct lack of top end pace. I'd rather see someone with a bit more speed with ball in hand go to 12. Kerevi first up, but if not fit, then I don't know who.

There seems to be some genuine options at 13, being Kerevi, TK and Folau.

The cupboard is pretty bare at 12 with Hodge, Foley and Kerevi. Out of those I'd give Hodge another, say, couple of games and if no good look at making Kerevi move one in. He just needs to improve his ball skills quite a bit. If that was the case I'd try Folau at 13

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)
I think hodge should receive a few more chances. IMO one average performance against the best team in the world shouldn't warrant being dropped from inside, particularly when he can develop and improve so much due to his age and experience. Facing a different style of play seen in the northern hemisphere sides will allow him to grow as a player, thus why not keep him there for a few more games.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Watching that game Hodge was wasted at 12. He ran some good lines and every time he did Phipps changed direction of the play, Phipps had a good game but Hodge just seems to be used for defense and rucking at the moment.

Wallabies 10/12 combo is the biggest weakness in the side at the moment, in attack more than defense.

I think Australia and South Africa could have there worst result on EOYT since the birth of professional rugby. Current form is not great, when was the last time the Wallabies lost 7 games in one year?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ive been hearing a lot of people talk about Irae Simone for the Spring Tour. I think to start with it is a push, however, considering he was born, raised and attend school in NZ and moved to Australia at 19 to pursue Rugby League wouldn't one expect him to want to play for the All Blacks. (probably already been said but CBF to read back through)

I think he's pragmatic mate, he would've been playing club footy in Auckland or something trying to make NPC if he saw that as his path.

Instead, he stayed here, playing Shute Shield, played NRC, and signed with the Tahs. The bloke has a manager, the fact he has joined this pathway is not an accident.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Squad expected to be announced at 3pm Sydney time.

I can't see too many surprises. My team would be:

Israel Folau
Dane Haylett-Petty
Luke Morahan
Henry Speight
Sefa Naivalu
Reece Hodge
Samu Kerevi
Tevita Kuridrani
Jono Lance
Bernard Foley
Quade Cooper
Nick Phipps
Nick Frisby
Leroy Houston
Sean McMahon
Lopeti Timani
David Pocock
Michael Hooper
Dean Mumm
Scott Fardy
Rob Simmons
Rory Arnold
Adam Coleman
Kane Douglas
Sekope Kepu
Tom Robertson
Scott Sio
James Slipper
Allan Ala'laatoa
Toby Smith
Stephen Moore
James Hanson

Tolu Latu

Only three scrummies chosen with Genia to join them when he can. Perhaps they will take Powell with them but I don't see the point.

Jono Lance the only 'bolter' with everyone else having played test rugby this year. We are drastically short of 12s, and Lance is the best of the rest assuming Horne is still injured.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think they are announcing a squad of 35 RR so you can squeeze a couple more in there if you like.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Right, perhaps Kyle Godwin then.

And maybe another outside back? Reece Robinson or Tom English?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm hoping Cheika doesn't take any real bolters like Jake Gordon, Taniela Tupou or Irae Simone.

These guys need to do a full preseason and put themselves in the best position to play Super Rugby next year in my opinion.

Whilst it would be an awesome experience to go on the EOYT, they probably wouldn't play a test and would then arrive back having missed a lot of the preseason and still be fighting to try and make the matchday 23 in Super Rugby.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm hoping Cheika doesn't take any real bolters like Jake Gordon, Taniela Tupou or Irae Simone.

These guys need to do a full preseason and put themselves in the best position to play Super Rugby next year in my opinion.

Whilst it would be an awesome experience to go on the EOYT, they probably wouldn't play a test and would then arrive back having missed a lot of the preseason and still be fighting to try and make the matchday 23 in Super Rugby.

But they are still training with the wallabies, is that really worse then a pre-season?

In comparison Jordy Barrett is going on the All Blacks tour as an 'apprentice' with no intention of giving him game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.