• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I really hope they'd pick Gordon over Powell. Powell was picked because he's got a great 'skill profile' but he's never really shown it all in a game (hasn't disgraced himself either).

Gordon is performing now, Powell is one for the future.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Will they take either?

Seems more likely they will have Genia, Phipps and Frisby.

Gordon would be a good inclusion but I think it will only happen if they decide not to take Frisby.

True, but IF they run a large squad and then send a few home they could bring 4 halfbacks (especially since Frisby can be used as a utility if need be).

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BH I don't think Genia will be available for all tests, maybe 3 out 5? Wouldn't it be wise to have have another backup for the remaining tests and the Baa Baas' game?

And I would also favour Gordon over Joey Powell, probably over Frisby also, atm. Joe is in the Phipps mold, quick to the breakdown, good passing game and pretty good defender. He doesn't yet have a running game that Gordon brings to matches. I think Gordon offers a difference that would be a positive for the Wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH I don't think Genia will be available for all tests, maybe 3 out 5? Wouldn't it be wise to have have another backup for the remaining tests and the Baa Baas' game?

And I would also favour Gordon over Joey Powell, probably over Frisby also, atm. Joe is in the Phipps mold, quick to the breakdown, good passing game and pretty good defender. He doesn't yet have a running game that Gordon brings to matches. I think Gordon offers a difference that would be a positive for the Wallabies.

Genia is unavailable for the 3rd Bledisloe and presumably the last test of the tour against England which is outside the test window.

I obviously don't know how many players Cheika will be able to take on tour and certainly agree that Gordon would go ahead of Powell.

I think there is a pretty good chance that Cheika will select 3 halfbacks and they will be Genia, Phipps and Frisby though and he'll work on the basis that he can call another up if there is an injury.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Genia is unavailable for the 3rd Bledisloe and presumably the last test of the tour against England which is outside the test window.

I obviously don't know how many players Cheika will be able to take on tour and certainly agree that Gordon would go ahead of Powell.

I think there is a pretty good chance that Cheika will select 3 halfbacks and they will be Genia, Phipps and Frisby though and he'll work on the basis that he can call another up if there is an injury.

Given history I believe he will name a squad of 84 before narrowing it down to 63 a week before the tour. Then he will cut that squad to 52 from which 18 will be cut at the airport the morning they fly off. This will be off-set by a travelling supplementary squad of 26 locally based Aussies who will also be training as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given history I believe he will name a squad of 84 before narrowing it down to 63 a week before the tour. Then he will cut that squad to 52 from which 18 will be cut at the airport the morning they fly off. This will be off-set by a travelling supplementary squad of 26 locally based Aussies who will also be training as well.

I don't think the Waratahs have enough players for Cheika to still have a 52 man squad when the team assembles at the airport. ;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I agree Genia, frisby and Gordon would be my 3 choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'd be happy with the leaving Genia out and going with three domestically based halves, despite how good Genia has been.

For me Phipps & Frisby are good enough to be test options, despite both having some short comings. I'd like them to include a third that helps us build depth in our halves because I really don't like our number one choice as being someone who isn't available for every test. But - does Gordon have a super rugby contract? My preference would be for someone who is going to be a regular super rugby starter, but I'm not sure who that sits with the current pecking order as neither Powell, or to my knowledge Gordon, fit that criteria.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I was thinking that if Kerevi is left behind and the plan is to run Folau at 13 at some point then we will need another kicking back 3 player on top of DHP. Kellaway? Khunt? Lance? The latter would have to be a chance because of his versatility. Could play Foley there too I guess.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'd be happy with the leaving Genia out and going with three domestically based halves, despite how good Genia has been.

For me Phipps & Frisby are good enough to be test options, despite both having some short comings. I'd like them to include a third that helps us build depth in our halves because I really don't like our number one choice as being someone who isn't available for every test. But - does Gordon have a super rugby contract? My preference would be for someone who is going to be a regular super rugby starter, but I'm not sure who that sits with the current pecking order as neither Powell, or to my knowledge Gordon, fit that criteria.

Yes, #9 is one position we do have a lot of depth, but no spectacular superstars. Aside from those 2 we've got Gordon, Powell, Stirzaker and I've always been keen on Louwrens at the Farce. You could feasibly take any of those 4 players as the 3rd halfback. I doubt it will happen though as he will pick Genia for the middle 3 tests. He'll wing it for the first and the last.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Sounds like Itoje has broken his arm. So when we beat them, no doubt the excuse will be that they weren't at full strength. Don't suppose we can make the same claim from the June tests?

Yeah getting ahead of myself I know :)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Matt SHOULD be a first choice halfback in Super rugby: he's got about the best pass of any Oz scrummie, and he's a leader. His only drawback is his size. Yeah, I know the bit about the size of the fight in the dog/the size of the dog in the fight, etc, but taking on 120kg Saffer second rowers isn't a long-term career path for a small fella. The upshot of a move by Matt would be more game time for Jake, a classic win-win for all concerned.

I've seen Matt seat front rowers on their arse with bigger hits than some loosies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I saw nothing in the NRC that makes me think any player there is ready for test Rugby, who hasn't already performed at Super Level. There are certainly players in NRC worthy of development and time at Super Level to go higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.