• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Some of the usual suspects are missing in action.

Perhaps they are embarrassed by the antics of Tony Abbott et al.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don't you love Nicola. Now they tell the truth about kevin.

Lets see what Williamson has to say in the near future about the others in the ALP involved. Makes a few claims look rather small.

Oh and wait for all to be told by Eddie O and the Mini Series about all this.

However, one dollar stolen is theft.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The Coalition employed the largest bait-and-switch programme in Australia’s political history:-

Stop the boats
Turn back the boats
Buy the boats
Hide the boats
Budget emergency
Budget crisis
Etc.
Etc.

How long before Tony Abbott self-implodes?

How long before some of the electorate realise that they have been conned?

At this rate it won't take long.

Malcolm Turnbull must be rubbing his hands in glee, and saying "Excellent".

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Really puts the whole "budget emergency" line the Liberals tow into perspective. While the "worst government in history" was unfolding they didn't seem as worried about the country's finances as we were lead to believe.

It beats me why no one in the house who also opposes the systematic scare mongering of politicians brought this up earlier. Also, why did the journalists take this long?

Forget stopping the boats

Stop the friggin' rorts.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What about the woman who had the courage to put herself up for election on the last NSW Labor Senate ticket, Ursula Stephens? One could mount a good argument for the next person on the last Senate ticket to be always the first in line for casual Senate vacancies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If we have to play a game of gender discrimination in the name of equity and not select (let alone actually elect) on pure merit, why not select somebody from the labour ranks who has actually got a proven record of integrity.

Kathy Jackson, formerly the secretary of the Health Services Union and the person who blew the whistle on the massive frauds being committed by office bearers of that Union.

The problem with such a nomination is neither major party has a place for somebody of such morals and integrity. Just imagine what would happen if somebody with no tolerance for graft and corruption made in into a parliament in this country, the place would implode, or said person would go for an extended swim with Harold.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kathy Jackson, formerly the secretary of the Health Services Union and the person who blew the whistle on the massive frauds being committed by office bearers of that Union.

She has hardly escaped the whole event unscathed and covered in glory. Whilst she may have done nothing wrong, that is far from certain at this point in time.

I think it would be far easier to come up with many ALP women who have a stronger track record with none of the baggage that would come with someone who was a senior official at the HSU during that period.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
She has hardly escaped the whole event unscathed and covered in glory. Whilst she may have done nothing wrong, that is far from certain at this point in time.

I think it would be far easier to come up with many ALP women who have a stronger track record with none of the baggage that would come with someone who was a senior official at the HSU during that period.

Braveheart - the issue with being a whistle blower in any organisation is that you have to understand that everything will be done to discredit and break you as an individual. The sum total of the allegations against Jackson pretty much amount to the fact that she failed to report the matters to the Union and instead reported them to Police. Anybody who realistically looks at the strangle hold that Williams in particular had on the Union and the myriad of ties he had to others would consider it suicide to report these matters to any official in the Union.

It is truly ironic that we demand ethics and accountability from Office bearers in all organisations, but when individuals break ranks with their organisation where is the support for them. In October Williams entered pleas guilty to numerous matters that were reported to Police by Jackson. She should be praised and promoted as an example of an ethical action. There were plenty of others within the HSU that knew what was going on but they closed their eyes and walked away, behaviour which Justice James Wood characterised as "wilful blindness". Instead she has been vilified and her professional career is finished. I didn't put her forward as a viable candidate, but as something to spur discussion and thought about some fundamental issues within labour and the whole community.

I know that many will argue the point but consider the fate of all recent whistleblowers, and ask yourself where they are and how their professional careers have progressed.

Without Labour in particular embracing a culture where integrity is the most valued character trait they are doomed to repeat the story unfolding at ICAC re:- Obeid et al.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My understanding was that the driver for her to report Williamson to the Police was more politically motivated than moral outrage.
I thought there was a power struggle between the two.
There were allegations against her for similar actions for significantly less amounts.
I do remember that she admitted that her salary package was an outrage,and she would happily work for much less.
She must have been bullied into accepting wage increases.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting what is happening in WA with the Senate count. Voting again will be interesting given the sour taste the shitty backroom deals behind the scenes has caused.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Interesting what is happening in WA with the Senate count. Voting again will be interesting given the sour taste the shitty backroom deals behind the scenes has caused.
It's kind of unconstitutional, but I hope we do so we get a better result. I'm not a big Greens fan, but Scott Ludlam seems wholly decent and more deserving of a spot than another Palmer puppet.

The sooner the Palmers United Party is a historical footnote the better. The guy is a bellicose grand standing fool who is going to use parliarmentary privilege to settle personal scores and further his own agenda.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My understanding was that the driver for her to report Williamson to the Police was more politically motivated than moral outrage.
I thought there was a power struggle between the two.
There were allegations against her for similar actions for significantly less amounts.
I do remember that she admitted that her salary package was an outrage,and she would happily work for much less.
She must have been bullied into accepting wage increases.

Like I said, the first part of any action against a whistleblower is to attack them and discredit them. Has Jackson been charged? If there was any truth to the rumours that you quote she would have been or disclosure of immunity deals required as she was a crown witness.
The rest of the matters you have posted is just the usual attempts to discredit. The pity is that these efforts work 100% of the time. Why would anybody want to take this path?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Like I said, the first part of any action against a whistleblower is to attack them and discredit them. Has Jackson been charged? If there was any truth to the rumours that you quote she would have been or disclosure of immunity deals required as she was a crown witness.
The rest of the matters you have posted is just the usual attempts to discredit. The pity is that these efforts work 100% of the time. Why would anybody want to take this path?

The other point is that her initial motivation matters little when he has pleaded guilty

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wow..........just fucking wow.

Updated 1 minute ago

PHOTO: Greens candidate Scott Ludlam has won the sixth Senate spot in WA ballot.
RELATED STORY: Government doesn't believe foul play behind missing ballot papersRELATED STORY: WA Senate results expected today despite missing votes
MAP: WA
Greens candidate Scott Ludlam has won a Federal Senate spot after a WA recount, while Labor and Palmer United Party candidates have missed out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-02/aec-announces-wa-senate-results-amid-missing-ballots/5065974

To get both final spots wrong is damning indictment on the AEC. It is imperative that the processes are improved before the next federal election. Not enough time to complete an overhaul before the by-election that is now sure to come.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't disagree with anything you've said about Jackson or whistleblowers in general.

I just think that it would have been a terrible move by the ALP to make her a Federal Senator in the wake of what happened at the HSU.

Perceptions are often more important than reality in politics and anyone involved with a union during a period of serious corruption and fraud will only cause problems for the party in a political climate where Labor's union links are seen more and more negatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.