• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Finals predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
That Pick and Go finals calculator website is up and running again.

http://www.lassen.co.nz/s14tab.php

Have some fun with your predictions.

If all the home teams win with the bonus point and the away teams get nothing the table will look like this.

1 Blues 64
2 Reds 63
3 Crusaders 63
4 Stormers 62
5 Waratahs 57
6 Bulls 54

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If all the higher placed teams win with no bonus points, it will look like this:

1 Reds 66
2 Stormers 65
3 Blues 63
4 Sharks 59
5 Crusaders 57
6 Waratahs 55

If all the home teams win with no bonus points, it will look like this:

1 Stormers 61
2 Crusaders 61
3 Reds 58
4 Blues 59
5 Waratahs 55
6 Bulls 53

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I am predicting:

Reds 71
Crusaders 65
Blues 64
Stormers 62
Bulls 57
Waratahs 55

Semis: Waratahs to beat Blues and Bulls to beat Stormers.
Prelim: Reds to beat Waratahs and Crusaders to beat Bulls
Final: Crusaders to beat Reds

The two key games in a host of difficult games to predict are Bulls vs Stormers and Crusaders vs Blues. If the Stormers and Blues win the whole scenario is turned on its head and I predict a Stormers win in the final. Unless the Reds drop a game, a Reds vs Tahs final is pretty unlikely.

The reasoning is based on my view that certain teams will win against certain others. For example I expect the Bulls to beat the Stormers, Tahs to beat the Blues, Crusaders to beat the Reds, even at home, Reds to beat the Tahs now they have no front row, Crusaders to beat the Bulls if the Bulls have to travel. But the scenarios are fascinating and any one of 8 teams can still win it from here if they get a run going.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Using the examples on the site.
Strong Finish by the Kiwi teams
1 Blues 64
2 Stormers 62
3 Crusaders 61
4 Reds 59
5 Sharks 56
6 Waratahs 51

Strong Finish by the Saffers
1 Stormers 65
2 Sharks 62
3 Crusaders 61
4 Blues 60
5 Reds 59
6 Waratahs 53

Strong finish by the Aussies
1 Reds 68
2 Crusaders 61
3 Blues 60
4 Stormers 58
5 Waratahs 57
6 Sharks 56

Pretty much the same teams each time.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Tis a strong finish by the kiwi and saffer teams to deny the reds more than a single point out of three more fixtures, two of which are against australian teams. Which apparently are weak.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reds have Brumbies, Force and Chiefs to go. Of those I think Force is the biggest danger-game. Reckon they'll pick up more than 1 point tonight though.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not sure why everyone is rating Auckland so highly, their two matches before QLD they were sloppy, against the Reds they played well in patches and this game againt the Chiefs they look really average.
I can definatly see them dropping out of the top 3

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Not sure why everyone is rating Auckland so highly, their two matches before QLD they were sloppy, against the Reds they played well in patches and this game againt the Chiefs they look really average.
I can definatly see them dropping out of the top 3

Well have a go yourself and post the results.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
You don't have to do the maths. You only need to plug in results and the website does it for you.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It all over a sudden looks alright for the Tahs. Maximum they can finish on is 57.

Could even finish 4th and get a home semi

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I am predicting:

Reds 71
Crusaders 65
Blues 64
Stormers 62
Bulls 57
Waratahs 55

Semis: Waratahs to beat Blues and Bulls to beat Stormers.
Prelim: Reds to beat Waratahs and Crusaders to beat Bulls
Final: Crusaders to beat Reds.

I know I am replying to my own quote, but the results this round have been extremely weird (Sharks/Cheetahs still to come) and based on this weekend there is too much variability in performance to properly predict anything much. The Stormers (who didn't have to play much) and the Crusaders (who didn't have to play at all) probably now look the best with the Bulls as the smokey.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Using the examples on the site.
Strong Finish by the Kiwi teams
1 Blues 64
2 Stormers 62
3 Reds 59
4 Crusaders 61
5 Sharks 56
6 Waratahs 51

Strong Finish by the Saffers
1 Stormers 65
2 Crusaders 61
3 Reds 59
4 Sharks 62
5 Blues 60
6 Waratahs 53

Strong finish by the Aussies
1 Reds 68
2 Crusaders 61
3 Stormers 58
4 Blues 60
5 Waratahs 57
6 Sharks 56

Pretty much the same teams each time.

Don't forget that conference winners are ranked 1, 2, 3. I've adjusted your standings accordingly.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds have Brumbies, Force and Chiefs to go. Of those I think Force is the biggest danger-game. Reckon they'll pick up more than 1 point tonight though.

Going to say it now. Reds are fucked without the NSWelshman Beau. Remember the first 2 rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.