• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Finals predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Going to say it now. Reds are fucked without the NSWelshman Beau. Remember the first 2 rounds?

I don't know, I think next week will be a bit of a wild card with Gill starting. I'm looking forward to seeing what impact he can make.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not just home semi but home final is a real chance if they can beat the bulls.
The Reds is still one point ahead of us. It will be a rare thing if we can get another 4 bonus point try out of our remaining two games. Hoping for one win at least the way the final rounds of SupeRugby was in the past.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I did the "base results on historical data" option and this is what the final table would look like.

1 Reds AUS 63
2 Stormers SAF 62
3 Crusaders NZL 61
4 Blues NZL 61
5 Sharks SAF 57
6 Waratahs AUS 56

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the "Table" stands like this at the moment (last two figures are tournament pnts and then [pnts diff]):

1st Reds(AUS) 62 [112] v Chiefs (Away)
2nd Stormers (SAF) 58 [133] v Cheetahs (Away)
3rd Crusaders (NZL) 57 [156] v Hurricanes (Away??)

4th Blues (NZL) 56 [53] v Highlanders (H)
5th Bulls (SAF) 53 [49] v Sharks (Home)
6th Sharks (SAF) 53 [65] v Bulls (Away)

Still in contention:

7th Waratahs (AUS) 52 [112] v Brumbies (Home - ANZ)

- So Reds 2nd week of final spot is by no means guaranteed.
- Tahs still very much in the hunt for a finals spot

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Tahs only need to win and they are in.

Reds probably can't rely on a bonus point only to finish first as it is likely the stormers will get 4 tries from the cheetahs. I expect the reds will also play an attacking game vs the chiefs though.

Predicting and hoping for the following:

1. Reds
2. Stormers
3. Crusaders
4. Blues
5. Bulls
6. Waratahs

1st finals:

Crusaders vs waratahs
Blues vs bulls

Semis

Reds vs bulls
Stormers vs crusaders

Final

Who knows?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
To guarantee the top spot the Reds must take 2 points from this weekend. The Stormers can claim it with a win if the Reds only get one bonus point.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Perhaps the Reds are guaranted the 2nd week final. We have more wins than Cru so if they end up tied with us, we are still above them.

Even if the Crusaders get to 62 and are equal with the Reds, they will have 11 wins to the Reds' 12, and will be behind them on the ladder.

Reds assured a week off.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What I want? Reds to win and stay top; Blues lose to Highlanders; Rebels and Force have a good game; Hurricanes beat 7 shades of shit out of the Crusaders (sorry ACTC); Tahs beat the Brumbies 39-36; Sharks beat Bulls (Bulls scare me); Cheetahs beat 7 shades of kak out of the Stormers (sorry PB); Lions have a great Mad Monday.
Will it happen? Yeah, right.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting week ahead!

Personally if I were the Crusaders I'd try and lose to the Hurricanes with a bonus point and finish 4th. That would allow a home preliminary final against the Tahs/Sharks/Bulls at home and then face the Reds in Brisbane (assuming Reds get top spot) instead of the Stormers in Cape Town. I reckon they'd fancy themselves in Brisbane much more than Cape Town.

C

chriscullen

I'm tipping waratahs 5th I think they will flay the brumbies and their pts diff is better than bulls/sharks. Then they could face blues in Auckland and fancy their chances.Then winning that they would face reds . I don't think they will win the comp or anything just saying I'm not writing them off, I think at the mo they are the strongest Australian team

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really think the Crusaders are gunna want to lose this weekend. I'm going to get on the Hurricanes as soon as they open at the TAB.

C

chriscullen

I really think the Crusaders are gunna want to lose this weekend. I'm going to get on the Hurricanes as soon as they open at the TAB.

I'm sure they won't try and lose as there is still a good chance they could finish 2nd if the stormers lose to the cheetahs. They didn't win all their titles by conceiving results prior to games, they will be confident of knocking over anyone.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Reds in Hamilton is not exactly a foregone conclusion neither is the Stormers in Bloem, plenty of permutations to debate!!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Chiefs, Cheetahs and Hurricanes all have the potential to cause massive upsets this weekend.

As cyclopath said, the bulls scare the shit out of me. They can finish 4th can't they? Darkhorses

D

daz

You think? It's all about momentum. You go hard at the pointy end and keep the winning flow going.

Start fucking with momentum and you will suddenly find yourself watching the rest of the finals with the unwashed masses, scratching your bum and wondering where it all went wrong.

You might even find yourself at a fan forum explaining the unexplainable.....with stats.

:)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It looks likely the end result will be two teams from each conference. I find that quite interesting given some of the comments about conference system this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.