• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Daz, how's about this?

- Even the best QCs get it wrong
- People have been known to do dumb shit under pressure
- Struggling organisations have been known to throw up a Hail Mary

As for your comments linking Nedlands to Panda, low blow, mate.

Absolutely agree that even experts slip, and while any outcome is possible, I think the percentages of that are reasonably low. But as I have said, we are all just prognosticating at this point.

Apologies to the Nedland writer for the comparison to a serial fantasist. That was indeed a bit harsh.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Absolutely agree that even experts slip, and while any outcome is possible, I think the percentages of that are reasonably low. But as I have said, we are all just prognosticating at this point.

Apologies to the Nedland writer for the comparison to a serial fantasist. That was indeed a bit harsh.

Respect

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
This week's gona be hard. Has the vru said it will fight if the rebels get axed? Aren't they run by the Aru anyway?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
This week's gona be hard. Has the vru said it will fight if the rebels get axed? Aren't they run by the Aru anyway?

The VRU and the ARU are legally separate entities, like all state unions are. The Rebels are in the same legal position we were last week, but now bolstered by an owner who won't sell us for any price. If the ARU try to axe the Rebels it'll go to court, and given there's like 2 or 3 QCs on our board, they'd be confident.

Importantly, it doesn't affect you guys and your case in any way. If you are successful in arbitration - which I truly hope you are - then that's it. The ARU are effectively out of options.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The VRU and the ARU are legally separate entities, like all state unions are. The Rebels are in the same legal position we were last week, but now bolstered by an owner who won't sell us for any price. If the ARU try to axe the Rebels it'll go to court, and given there's like 2 or 3 QCs on our board, they'd be confident.

Importantly, it doesn't affect you guys and your case in any way. If you are successful in arbitration - which I truly hope you are - then that's it. The ARU are effectively out of options.
So If we are successful they have to axe the rebels and deal with the legal battle ?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
So If we are successful they have to axe the rebels and deal with the legal battle ?

They won't try to axe us, they don't have the money for the legal fight.

If you are successful, unless they're absolutely certain they'd win, they won't appeal for the same reason.

They clearly have no legal recourse either way. If they did, one of us would have been gone in 48-72 hours.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
They won't try to axe us, they don't have the money for the legal fight.

If you are successful, unless they're absolutely certain they'd win, they won't appeal for the same reason.

They clearly have no legal recourse either way. If they did, one of us would have been gone in 48-72 hours.
So what's the go then. It's 15 teams next year. So someone has to go

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So what's the go then. It's 15 teams next year. So someone has to go

I would not be surprised if the Sunwolves come out and save everyones backsides. They have been told they need to sort their team out and make the company teams release the best players to the Sunwolves.

The company teams won't like this idea and might say just pull out and let's concentrate on our own league.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Oh shit son
b392d38d3d330ebd6c51603045d928ee.jpg

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Basic problem - ARU can't afford distributions for 5 teams..
They distribute what they planned for the 4 teams but to 5, the planned amounts still goes to grassroots. The 5 teams must find the short fall from the ARU themselves.
The Force have found a way.
The SRU have taken the Shute Shield to a higher level without any ARU funding.

If they can't, tough. Ensure the revised broadcast agreement has contingency for a team folding.

L

Leo86

As above. The ARU give what they can/budget. If changes are not made across the board where is SANZAAR let alone ARU gonna be with the next broadcast agreement. The ARU got extra money then they ever had in previous agreements and have absolutely blown it. Is that 5 franchises or shit management?

T

TOCC

Yet they could afford it for 5 years under a significantly lower broadcast deal?

well technically they couldn't afford it then either, thats part of the reason they used the last of the leftovers from the 2003 RWC and have nothing left in the bank.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
well technically they couldn't afford it then either, thats part of the reason they used the last of the leftovers from the 2003 RWC and have nothing left in the bank.

In the professional era the ARU have always relied on on infrequent large windfalls (the Lions tours being the main stay). This new deal put them on a sound financial footing to support 5 teams, it's their (and SANZAAR's) own mismanagement that has changed this. And abandoning an entire region of the country is the worst possible solution that fixes none of the underlying problems.

T

TOCC

In the professional era the ARU have always relied on on infrequent large windfalls (the Lions tours being the main stay). This new deal put them on a sound financial footing to support 5 teams, it's their (and SANZAAR's) own mismanagement that has changed this. And abandoning an entire region of the country is the worst possible solution that fixes none of the underlying problems.

I'm not disputing any of this and have said as much many times..

I do disagree with your claim that Australian Rugby could afford 5 teams on the previous deal.. they couldn't, the ARU needed the Lions tour to stop them going bankrupt, ARU had just $300k left in the bank by the end of 2015 thanks to $16million in losses over 2014-2015, and 4 of the 5 Aussie Super Rugby teams posted significant losses in 2015.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This new deal put them on a sound financial footing to support 5 teams, it's their (and SANZAAR's) own mismanagement that has changed this.

The 18 team comp has been a massive failure but surely the broadcasters made exactly the same miscalculation as SANZAAR.

They knew what they were buying and clearly thought it was good and worth the extra investment.

Everyone has been completely wrong in this regard.

Maybe Super 18 could have worked or at least not failed so spectacularly if the format had been better (3x6) but we'll never know now.

The challenge for Australian Rugby now is to survive in whatever situation exists over the next couple of years so we can be involved in whatever the inevitable restructure is after 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.